S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Leather, spare tyre, rear shelf and rear speakers

Old 10-19-2000, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just removed the rearshelf for inspection and study. I am considering lining it with leather (I know, used to be into latex, but veering now towards more natural stuff ). It will look good and save the rear window from scratching as bad as it does today.

1st question, what's the best way to line such a large surface? Double stick tape? Glue? If so which types? I am concerned that it may become unstuck with time, or that the glue will damage the leather.(BTW, if this is successful, I'll consider the a-pillars next, got go for a full leather option.)

After removing the shelf, I have noticed that there is space for two rear speakers if you feel like drilling the rear shelf. One just to the side of the fuel pump, the other on top of the spare. They may sound a bit muffled when the top is down, but then again, with the top down everything sounds muffled. They would have to be flush mounted to avoid interference with the top mechanism. The spare may get in the way, depending on speaker depth.

Getting rid of the spare may help.

I have raised this issue before and I'll raise it again. I have seen more and more cars coming out with no spare, just a compressor.
I am tempted to go that route. In europe we are never more that 5 minutes away from the next service station (it's a crowded place!) and a compressor and a can of tyre fixing stuff should help you in most situations, no? Any words of wisdom?

BTW, according to my calculations, getting rid of the spare gives you the equivalent of 2HP!
Old 10-19-2000, 06:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

...a compressor and a can of tyre fixing stuff should help you in most situations...

Every can of "tyre fixing stuff" I've seen says not for use with Z rated tires.
Old 10-19-2000, 08:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luis,

I bought an extra rear shelf and had Townsend develop a custom fit leather liner (in seat-matching red) for it that I'll install when my car comes. I plan to attach it with the same double-faced tape we're using on the console cover: it's designed to withstand the heat extremes of the car interior.

If you're interested,I'll send you enough tape to do the job.

Rick

Rick
Old 10-19-2000, 08:29 PM

Hmmmm... Rick, any plans to offer this leather shelf liner as a future product? I would definitely be interested...
Old 10-19-2000, 10:16 PM

Rick, I swear with all the stuff you've bought in pursuit of your leather products you could almost assemble an entire car!
Old 10-19-2000, 10:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've actually tried to imagine what all Rick's bits would look like in position sans S2000. Sort of ghostly I think!
Old 10-20-2000, 03:56 AM

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

Rick/Luis,

I am not a chemist, but since the leather needs to stay conditioned don't you think that the leather oils will get on the window (by touching it or vapors from the heat)?
And the inside is a real Pain in the ass to clean.

Jim
Old 10-20-2000, 04:12 AM

You have a point... I'm sure that there would be other higher tech materials that would be gentler to the window plastic.

I have used a little leather carpet in there with no ill effects so far, but I admit that I have never conditioned it.
Old 10-20-2000, 05:27 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by KenS2K:
...a compressor and a can of tyre fixing stuff should help you in most situations...

Every can of "tyre fixing stuff" I've seen says not for use with Z rated tires.

I am in the tire buisness & using any type of tire repair in a can is the worst thing you can do. Not only is it a mess, you can't properly repair a tire (plug-patch from the inside) when you use this stuff. The patch will never properly seal due to the slime you just put in your tire. It would not be a bad idea for your wife's Caravan for an emergency, but z rated tires arn't cheap & the saftey of your life & car shouldn't be comprimized on the shear greed of weight savings

[This message has been edited by CHOWBOX (edited October 20, 2000).]
Old 10-20-2000, 06:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CHOWBOX:
[B]

Quick Reply: Leather, spare tyre, rear shelf and rear speakers