S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Lots of Miles, 1 S Seen

Old 05-04-2019, 12:38 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
You forgot to tell us about the HUGE mosquitoes. LOL
We had to break out the OFF Deep Woods. So much good stuff to see and not enough time to see it all.

Thank's for the tip,
Rod
Huge Misquito and Horse Fly's. Yep lol keep the bugspray close
Old 05-12-2019, 05:48 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Saw one more S(silver with red wheels and I think it had a hardtop, we were in our hotel room 8th floor) north of DC, we haven't seen any more and we're almost to New Orleans. So far the weather has been top down 95% of the time. It rains at night and clears up during the day. Hope our luck stays good. I've had a couple of people come up and ask if I put Honda badges on the car to keep it from getting stolen. Thats the first for us in all the states we've been through(more than 30 so far in 9 years) with my Wifes S.

Rod
Old 05-27-2019, 01:58 PM

Been back home for a couple of days, put 8300 miles, 26 fill ups on this trip and went through 23 states. At 64 and I'm a little sore(stiff) but this was one fun drive(except the overly large and hungry mosquitoes near the Atlantic coast). Total S's seen by us was 5. We had to dodge some big storms(flash floods, tornadoes) on the way home, which we did a good job of doing. Only hit light rain on a couple of days and then only for a few hours, so top down most of the time till we hit Utah. When we left Craig, CO the weather was great but around 50 miles after we hit Utah it was top up till we hit the Sacramento valley 850 miles and two days away.

The S is a great car to take on this type of trip, all county roads or small(old) Hwy's, stay off the interstates or 8 lane Hwy's. Top down so you can sightsee and if you see something that gets your attention, go explorer it. We have done three trips like this(over 5000 miles each) in our S and we both like this type of trip over our motorhome towing our Jeep. We have even discussed selling our motorhome but I like to off-road to much to get rid of the Jeep and the S doesn't do dirt well. Summer is just starting so plan a trip in the S and have fun.

Rod
Old 05-27-2019, 05:12 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

The numbers are definitely dwindling.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:46 AM

I don't know why more don't take long drives in the S, its a great car for it. The only thing I've every had to fix(replace) on a trip was a rear hub, Honda of Chandler,AZ took care of that. Other than an oil change and that rear hub I've never had any problems with our S. It's a very dependable car and that's what you want on a long drive in out of the way places like my wife and I go.

Rod
p.s. I forgot about a set of rear tires I had to buy in a one tire shop town about 9 years ago. Got a large bolt in one rear tire so had to get two new ones.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:03 PM

I stand corrected, we did have a problem on our trip with the S. I just didn't know it till a couple of days after we got home. We were tired after this trip so we parked the S in the garage for a few days and then took it out to wash it and when I opened the hood after the wash I found that the radiator was not holding any pressure(squeeze the top rad. hose). You could see the antifreeze go between the rad. and the over flow tank when you squeezed the hose with no pressure in the system. Took the rad. cap off and sure as hell the center seal of the cap was gone.

It's in the rad. somewhere and I think I know when it happened or at least where I should have known something was wrong. We just passed a line of motorhomes going up a steep grade at around 11000 ft. when we got to the summit overlook we stopped and when we went back to the car I saw a little antifreeze on the ground. Pop the hood and I saw the fluid in the overflow tank getting sucked back into the radiator and said to myself " must be the altitude" Yeah I was way off on that one. But at least I know my radiator and fans are working great to keep the temps in check. We went another 6500 miles with a bad rad cap and I never had to add any antifreeze. Go figure.

Rod