S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Luggage for your S2000?

Old 02-14-2015, 01:48 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Dear god... I would never drill a rack onto my trunk like that. IMO, this is a perfect reason why you should have second vehicle for hauling stuff around with.
Here is a close of the attachment, just finger tight is all you need:

Of course, this is what it looks like for most trips: (it was 118F in Death Valley, hence the top up)

A 2 week trip up through WA, OR, and NORCAL was helped by the rack for a few extra chairs that were bulky. The rack was invaluble for the failed (flat) tire; with a pax and full trunk, I could put the tire on the rack and not leave anything behind.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Update, as was said above, the Surco rack is removable, very well done, no drilling, no damage. I like the slats, I'm thinking about using teak strips for weather resistance. Also, they have the luggage left at the San Juan Puerto Rico Costco but it is marked down to ONLY the original mark down of $69.97 not the $49.97 I'm seeing in the Con US. I was in Chantilly, VA last week and they had only grey left at the $50 price. I tried to put two carry on size in my trunk but doesn't work with the spare tire in place. I'm trying to remove it but the prior owner installed the JL amp on a board inside the spare and I can't get it out of the way enough to reach under and undo the bolt holding the tire in. I'm literally stuck with the amp pushing against the metal rim around where the converitble tray is hanging. I'm not sure what the next move is. Going to try to get someone with tiny hands/arms to reach down and undo the wing nut/bolt.

I'm figuring the spare won't fit front with the BBK anyway, going to check when the weather gets better and I get back from vacation. I think I'm going to carry my cigg lighter compressor pump and a couple of cans of Fix-a-Flat. Is there a like product from anyone else that is better at clean up than Fix-a-Flat? I know the Chevy Volt has no spare and many BMW's now come with no spare so wondering if they have a better brew. I would hate to put that slime in my wheel, probably destroy my TPMS and the shop would freak and charge to clean it out if they even could when mounting new.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:06 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Try this for flat repair:

http://www.pashnit.com/product/stopngo.html

Also can use CO2 inflation. Can find this on Amazon too.

I used aircraft dope for waterproofing oak slats. You can use all kinds of stuff. Easy.

Try soft sided bags for the trunk. I have always had difficulty with hard sided bags.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that rack and it's great. Just go easy when you tighten the clamps. You can easily put dents in the trunk. (Which you won't notice until you remove the rack)
Old 02-26-2015, 04:20 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Getting rather off-topic, but is something like that clamp available separately? there's a caution that came with the trailer hitch we put on the S2000 about "non-towed loads must be independently stabilized" and I presume that includes our plug-in bike rack, so I'm thinking a couple of straps leading the the front edge of the trunk lid. Would need a couple of flat-metal "hooks", of course coated in something to protect the paint, to attach the straps.