S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Lurker gives up, orders S2000

Old 01-17-2002, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lurker gives up, orders S2000

Hi, everyone!

Gone and done it...put in an order today for a black/black S2000.

I've been lusting for one since the '00 model year, but refused to pay above list (in '00) or even MSRP (in '01).

Finally found a dealer discounting (a little) who'd take an order for delivery just when the weather gets nice here in New England.

I've been lurking here for months, envying all of you who had an S2000 and grateful for all the information.

Now, soon, at last, bye-bye Miata, hello Killer.

ToyBoy
Old 01-17-2002, 01:56 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Congrats. You will soon be one of 'us'. Great post title BTW
Old 01-17-2002, 05:15 PM

Congratulations! I drove a 2001 S2000 and a new Miata this week back to back and the difference was startling. The car mags can go on and on about the Miata (and it may be as much car as someone can buy for its price) but the S2000 is a PROFOUNDLY different experience altogether.

Old 01-17-2002, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by ToyBoy
Hi, everyone!

Gone and done it...put in an order today for a black/black S2000.

I've been lusting for one since the '00 model year, but refused to pay above list (in '00) or even MSRP (in '01).

Finally found a dealer discounting (a little) who'd take an order for delivery just when the weather gets nice here in New England.

I've been lurking here for months, envying all of you who had an S2000 and grateful for all the information.

Now, soon, at last, bye-bye Miata, hello Killer.

ToyBoy
How much did you pay (or agree to pay)?
I'm also in the market for one.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:04 PM

$29995 plus 5% MA sales tax.

I shopped pretty hard over the last couple of weeks because I sensed this was the moment. (I've been wanting the car and shopping it off and on for since the '00's arrived. It's a toy, and I intend to keep it bone stock and forever, so there was no rush.) Three other local dealers insist they want MSRP and will take no less. I know many people like their dealers; to me they are all the same: rapacious. While we all love the car, it's still a Honda dealer selling them, whose stock in trade is moving Accords and Civics and ripping off as many people as possible in a cutthroat business.

I had one infamous discounter here get mad on hearing this price and tell me he'd go buy the car at that price. When they get mad and yell, it pretty much tells you the price you are asking them to beat is bottom of the range (at the moment).

I've also noticed that there are plenty of 01's (esp. Spa Yellow) available now and dealers are sore about paying so much for them during the first two crazed seasons and now being stuck with them because of the New England seasonality for these cars and the recession. Ironically, that makes them less eager to negotiate on '02's because they don't wanna get burned twice.

It was inevitable that prices would return to earth. Even at this price, the dealer is making a killing (my estimate is that he is making about $1200-$1300 not including holdback) on this deal. That's three or four times what he can make on an Accord and double what he'd get for an Odyssey.

I think prices will continue to decline (unless the recurring rumor that the car wil be cancelled is true). So, if you live in NE and want an S2000, now's the time if, like me, you've been waiting for prices to drop below MSRP.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:19 PM

You got a good deal. I paid sticker in July for MY01. Must be the dealer feeling the "dead of winter blues". Good luck with car. You will not be disappointed
Old 01-17-2002, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by ToyBoy
$29995 plus 5% MA sales tax.
THAT's GREAT DEAL!!
Did it come with any dealer installed options??
My ideal price would be $31,000 (plus tax and lic)... but with options like
front & rear spoilers, tit knob and cd changer...
Old 01-17-2002, 06:34 PM

very nice choice of color black/black now all you need is a hard top to finish it off. great deal for a '02 i got mine for 29,100 and hard top for 1,400. but for an '0s thats a great deal. congrats you will love it.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:40 PM

Great colour combo choice
Old 01-17-2002, 06:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations! I always wonder how many lurkers we have who finally buy the car.

Quick Reply: Lurker gives up, orders S2000