S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Modifying the OEM Dual to a Single Exhaust (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/modifying-oem-dual-single-exhaust-468681/)

zacksdad2 03-07-2007 04:46 AM

Modifying the OEM Dual to a Single Exhaust

Well, I got this 2003 stock OEM exhaust laying around collecting dust, no one will come and pick it so I'm considering taking a torch to it and playing around a bit. I am thinking about cutting off the one side and making it into a single. I am also cutting out the resonator and that odd little 6" offshoot up neat the front. I'll mount it as is with a stock single OEM cannister just to hear what it sounds like. Then I'll cut the OEM off, find some cheap EBAY Magnaflow single, heat wrap the whole thing and see what happens.

Anyone else ever play with this thing? Thoughts?

lamvu 03-07-2007 05:38 AM

yeah i've seen someone do it, i forgot who it was though... maybe someone will chime in... i've seen a lot of honda preludes do this to their car.. they get a s2k exhaust and then make it a single.

s2kshift9k 03-07-2007 07:28 AM

ridesrt local member here in new mexico converted is invidia dual to a single it came out really good. just search on you tube and there is a vid of it

AssassinJN 03-07-2007 08:02 AM

Take pics, notes, vids etc. Share what you learn as many of considered this, but not too many have tried (or at least shared after they tried).

Sinji 03-07-2007 08:11 AM

:iagree:

zacksdad2 03-07-2007 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by AssassinJN,Mar 7 2007, 12:02 PM
Take pics, notes, vids etc. Share what you learn as many of considered this, but not too many have tried (or at least shared after they tried).

Will do but now, that I have posted this, someone finally says that want it as is. If they don't come by I will be doing this alteration and get plenty of pics & videos to post.

TookayS2K 09-17-2008 12:04 AM

I'm guessing the OP never did this?

TraviS2000 09-17-2008 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by zacksdad2,Mar 7 2007, 05:46 AM
Well, I got this 2003 stock OEM exhaust laying around collecting dust, no one will come and pick it so I'm considering taking a torch to it and playing around a bit. I am thinking about cutting off the one side and making it into a single. I am also cutting out the resonator and that odd little 6" offshoot up neat the front. I'll mount it as is with a stock single OEM cannister just to hear what it sounds like. Then I'll cut the OEM off, find some cheap EBAY Magnaflow single, heat wrap the whole thing and see what happens.

Anyone else ever play with this thing? Thoughts?

That "odd little 6" offshoot" is some type of sound tuning device. Forgot what it's called...helmholtz? Anyway, it has something to do with resonate frequencies and making our exhaust sound better.

Now, I'm pretty sure you are going to changing the effects this thing has on the sound since you are chopping out a major portion of the exhaust. You might try leaving it on for the first round of modifications to see how it sounds...then chop it off to see what it does. You might find you like the sound better with it in place...

vtec9 09-17-2008 07:37 AM

I imagine it's going to sound pretty raspy.

Spectre48 09-17-2008 08:20 AM

I would leave the Helmholtz piece on like one of the other posters suggested. I like your idea though.