S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Motor died after 2weeks. How can I deal with dealer? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/motor-died-after-2weeks-how-can-i-deal-dealer-1184881/)

saulfeng 05-20-2018 01:17 PM

Motor died after 2weeks. How can I deal with dealer?

Hello I bought my s2k two weeks ago in a auto dealer . And before I bought it. I bring it to a Honda dealer shop to do a inspection. And the Honda told me this s2k has good condition. And there is no any issues on the engine and transmission. Then I decided to bought this car.
On the 3rd days after I bought it. The problem are showing up. Every time I push the clutch. The engine will shut off. And it’s hard to starts the engine again and a few days later. Every time I push the gas over 3k rpm. There some noise came out of the engine. It’s like “dadadada”
then I bring the car back to dealer where I bought from. The dealer checked it and said the engine valve was too tight. And they told me they will fix it and I have to pick the car tomorrow.
Second day. I came to dealer shop to pick up my car. I drove the car on the street to make sure the problem are all gone. And the engine noise was gone. But some weird noise and shake was came out of gear box and clutch when I push the gas. And I drove back to dealer shop and talk to them about that. The shop guy just push the gas on neutral and said he heard some thing. And he asked me do I want leave the car in the shop. They will check it again. Or do I want to drove it back home today and come back to shop tomorrow morning. To make sure the “engine noise “problem was gone. I answered I’d like to drove it back home today. And he seems like pretty happy about my answer.
And I never made it home. Because the engine are done on my way to home. The engine light on and the engine was shut off. Then I called 3A to tow my car to a shop.
And when I was shocked when I opened the hood. The timing chain pulley lock nut are come out. The engine are 100% died. And I asked many mechanic. They all said to adjust valve don’t have to touch timing chain pulley lock nut.
And I called dealer shop and told them about this. They pay for the tow fee to tow my car back to shop. And told me I signed the contract. The only cover the labor fee. The parts fee is on me.
I think this is ridiculous. They told me the car was fixed and told me to pick it. And I didn’t even made it home.
I think they should be resposible for this. They have to pay for the new motor.
So how should I do to deal with them?thank you https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...970b5e5e0.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...9c93eb343.jpeg

cosmomiller 05-20-2018 01:24 PM

Get an attorney.

JonC 05-20-2018 01:26 PM

I would have stayed away from any used car with an engine bay looking like that unless you were prepared to do some work on the car and were getting it super cheap.

My advice, stay away from this shop and find yourself a good JDM motor to swap in. As far as the legalities to what you're dealing with right now - I have no idea.

Car Analogy 05-20-2018 02:53 PM

That bolt has backed out like that for others as well. Its recommended in the thread for new owners to check the torque on that bolt. 30 lb/ft iirc.

Its true that a valve adjustment doesn't invovle touching that bolt. A routine dealer inspection probably wouldn't look for that bolt to be loose.

What the dealer could be liable for is they heard the noise, and told you it was safe to drive it home. That should be on them.

But, what country are you in?

PS, dealers are, for the most part, incompetent.

saulfeng 05-20-2018 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy (Post 24461446)
That bolt has backed out like that for others as well. Its recommended in the thread for new owners to check the torque on that bolt. 30 lb/ft iirc.

Its true that a valve adjustment doesn't invovle touching that bolt. A routine dealer inspection probably wouldn't look for that bolt to be loose.

What the dealer could be liable for is they heard the noise, and told you it was safe to drive it home. That should be on them.

But, what country are you in?

PS, dealers are, for the most part, incompetent.

LA can I sue them? I don’t believe them anymore. XD

B serious 05-20-2018 03:36 PM

Lol can you sue them? Why post something like this on a car forum?

That's what you ask a lawyer. I doubt you have a logical case for suing. But hey...its worth a shot. But also worth remembering that they have lawyers too.

Have you spoken to the dealer since the car stopped running? What did they say?

Just go take care of it yourself. I doubt anyone on S2ki has any pull with this mystery dealer.

Go talk to the dealer. Then talk to a lawyer.

saulfeng 05-20-2018 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by B serious (Post 24461460)
Lol can you sue them? Why post something like this on a car forum?

That's what you ask a lawyer. I doubt you have a logical case for suing. But hey...its worth a shot. But also worth remembering that they have lawyers too.

Have you spoken to the dealer since the car stopped running? What did they say?

Just go take care of it yourself. I doubt anyone on S2ki has any pull with this mystery dealer.

Go talk to the dealer. Then talk to a lawyer.

called dealer shop and told them about this. They pay for the tow fee to tow my car back to shop. And told me I signed the contract. The only cover the labor fee. The parts fee is on me.

NNY S2k 05-20-2018 03:59 PM

Whatever the contract says.....good luck.
Levi

Car Analogy 05-20-2018 06:56 PM

File a small claims court case. Your case is, dealer worked on car. Car made strange noises afterwards. Dealer heard the noise, but said car was safe to drive home and return the next day. Car never made it home, and now engine is destroyed. Dealer is admitting some responsibility by offering a compromise on the repairs.

I won a small claims case with an independent mechanic when my Ford Explorer engine developed rod knock 4 days after they changed timing chain and guide. They dropped pan and found plastic pieces blocking the oil pump intake screen. They 'offered' to disassemble further to determine where pieces came from, on my dime. Their offer was if they decide it was their fault, they'd pay half the cost to rebuild engine! (Otherwise I pay all)

So I filed a claim, and won. I think you have a case here too.

GuthNW 05-20-2018 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by saulfeng (Post 24461422)
Hello I bought my s2k two weeks ago in a auto dealer . And before I bought it. I bring it to a Honda dealer shop to do a inspection. And the Honda told me this s2k has good condition. And there is no any issues on the engine and transmission. Then I decided to bought this car.
On the 3rd days after I bought it. The problem are showing up. Every time I push the clutch. The engine will shut off. And it’s hard to starts the engine again and a few days later. Every time I push the gas over 3k rpm. There some noise came out of the engine. It’s like “dadadada”
then I bring the car back to dealer where I bought from. The dealer checked it and said the engine valve was too tight. And they told me they will fix it and I have to pick the car tomorrow.
Second day. I came to dealer shop to pick up my car. I drove the car on the street to make sure the problem are all gone. And the engine noise was gone. But some weird noise and shake was came out of gear box and clutch when I push the gas. And I drove back to dealer shop and talk to them about that. The shop guy just push the gas on neutral and said he heard some thing. And he asked me do I want leave the car in the shop. They will check it again. Or do I want to drove it back home today and come back to shop tomorrow morning. To make sure the “engine noise “problem was gone. I answered I’d like to drove it back home today. And he seems like pretty happy about my answer.
And I never made it home. Because the engine are done on my way to home. The engine light on and the engine was shut off. Then I called 3A to tow my car to a shop.
And when I was shocked when I opened the hood. The timing chain pulley lock nut are come out. The engine are 100% died. And I asked many mechanic. They all said to adjust valve don’t have to touch timing chain pulley lock nut.
And I called dealer shop and told them about this. They pay for the tow fee to tow my car back to shop. And told me I signed the contract. The only cover the labor fee. The parts fee is on me.
I think this is ridiculous. They told me the car was fixed and told me to pick it. And I didn’t even made it home.
I think they should be resposible for this. They have to pay for the new motor.
So how should I do to deal with them?thank you

First off, I'm sorry that this happened to you. When you purchased the car from the dealer you should have seen the "Buyer's Guide" sheet of paper displayed in the window of the car and this should have been given to you at the time of the sale. (This is the sheet of paper that few take the time to read.) Amongst other things, that piece of paper should have indicated whether or not the car was being sold "As Is" or with a warranty. More information can be found here on the Federal Trade Commissions website.

In a nutshell, if you bought the car "As Is", then this is likely the end of the story. If the car came with a warranty then you should already have some details outlining what the selling dealer is responsible for that were provided to you when you bought the car. However, the fact that you felt there was something wrong with the car as you've already noted above but then opted to try and drive it home after the dealer offered to keep the car there is likely going to work against you even if you still had any further recourse at that point. Car Analogy might be right, but if I were in your shoes before I spent too much more money, I'd want to go over the paperwork provided with the car at the time of the sale pretty closely first. Good luck.