S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   MSRP in Canada: Good Deal?? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/msrp-canada-good-deal-20400/)

yf69 07-07-2001 10:33 PM

i was told there was 50 spa editions, so.... close enough

blau blau, i'm assuming your white s2k's the pacecar edition? how did u go about getting that, if u don't mind me asking? i'd much rather have white (than my black) but was told that they're not sold in canada

VTEXTC 07-07-2001 11:16 PM

xviper,
Hi! Actually, I purchased mine from High River too!! As a matter of fact, we just happened to be related to the owner! My family, all in all, has purchased 14 vehicles from there in the past 10 years or so. Who was your sales person?
I believe your'e a firefighter? Shane from service mentioned you when I was chatting with him this afternoon.
Anyways, nice meeting you. Mail me at as-if@home.com, and we can chat somemore.
Asif
PS-The MSRP on the Spa Yellow is 53,800 VS 48,000 for the so called "base" models. I think I did alright!

Howie 07-08-2001 12:49 AM

That's the thing. There isn't suppose to be a markup for different colours or colour combinations but many do so getting it for MSRP is a good deal.

SilverFog 07-08-2001 02:19 AM

MSRP anywhere (Canada or US) isn't necessarily a good deal, but it seems to be about the best that anyone is getting, on average...so you needn't feel you could have done much better.

No dealer can force you to add options to the car, or force you to pay more than MSRP. You are the consumer, you hold the money, you are the one in control. There are many other dealers out there who will happily make a straight sale with you. If you don't feel good about ANY part of the transaction...walk. Their loss.

As for my deal, I started off by saying I would only pay MSRP for the car (their sticker was $1500 over that) with no forced options and that I would be back to test-drive it in a week with no deposit (my local dealer, who I never resorted to contacting, was letting nobody test-drive the car, was requiring a deposit, and had 'forced' options on most prior sales) -- and they were cool with it. I didn't ASK if they would sell it for MSRP. I didn't ASK if they'd let me test-drive it. I didn't ASK if they'd force me to buy options. I TOLD them the deal that I was comfortable with making, gave them my card, shook hands, and left.

As the sale drew to a close (read: at the point where they could smell the money) I told them that we'd have a deal if they threw in the accessory car-cover. Not a big deal. Now that I think about it, I wasn't too hard on them. I'm not a good haggler and I didn't play hardball or anything, just made sure things stayed on my terms and was prepared to walk at any moment. Thats about all you need to be armed with.

For those who were in line to buy the S2000 when it first debuted, things were different, I know -- but to anyone else shopping for an S2K these days, you have no excuse to pay more than MSRP.

SilverFog 07-08-2001 02:32 AM

Originally posted by yf69
'cause a few dealerships in vancouver sell the same package, however, one dealership only sells it fully loaded... so the car comes with: hard top, side skirts, front lip, rear spoiler and 18" tsw evo rims...
Since when is any dealer including/forcing aftermarket wheels on a new car?

What is the name of the dealership? I'm in lower-mainland BC and I'd like to check out those wheels on an S2K next time I am in the city...

Originally posted by yf69
msrp is close to the 60k mark for this sucker:eek: and the saleslady told me that's the only way they'll sell their spa yellow models
To which you reply that the only way they'll sell the car to you is if they only include the options you want on it.

loft846 07-08-2001 03:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yf69
[B]i was told there was 50 spa editions, so.... close enough

blau blau, i'm assuming your white s2k's the pacecar edition?

SilverFog 07-08-2001 10:00 AM

Originally posted by blau-blau
I've seen a sliver s2000 on Richards (downtown vancouver) couple days ago, was that u?
Don't think so...

DoGMaN 07-08-2001 12:56 PM

Hi there, first time poster long long time reader.

I'm finally going to take the plunge and by a S2K, however I really hate the attitude that the Honda dealers in Ontario are flaunting with this car. Owners and Dealers compare the car to the Porsche, however the sales experience is nothing like you would get at a Porsche dealer.

I've been to over a dozen dealers in Ontario, and they have several S2K on the lot, for long periods of time, because lets face it not everyone can afford this car, nor is it useful for half the year. Trying to buy this car has been tough, the dealer pays $43,920 for it, then you have freight ($850) PDI ($100). The total before taxes is $44870.

I've tried to make an offer of 5% over cost, a usually tempting amount for any dealer, but they turn me away like I've insulted them. Considering most of the dealers around me have had cars on the lot for over 3 months without a looker, its surprising to see them turn me down when I've got the cash on hand to buy it.

Is Honda Canada demanding they sell them for MSRP or above or am I in the twilight zone?

If you wait until the end of this month (which I intend on doing) I figure you'd be able to make quite a deal. If they get their heads out of their asses.

DM

SilverFog 07-08-2001 01:10 PM

Originally posted by DoGMaN
If you wait until the end of this month (which I intend on doing) I figure you'd be able to make quite a deal. If they get their heads out of their asses.
Hey, DoGMaN -- at least being in Southern Ontario, you have a LOT of Honda dealerships to choose from within 3 hours' drive of almost everywhere. I grew up in Owen Sound, and in shopping for Hondas I often went as far as London to get the deal I wanted. As long as it wasn't too far off the 401 corridor, it was relatively convenient.

If you left your card with any of those bozos, I am sure at least one will bite as month-end approaches. :)

xviper 07-08-2001 01:22 PM

DoGMaN, I think these guys are playing you. Dealers have no requirements from Honda Canada to sell at or over MSRP. Dealers belong to a little club of their own and would like to keep prices elevated and keep up the hype. I personally know of an individual who bought this car for $46,000.00 and the dealer STILL made money. It was an inside deal and that's all I can say 'cause I promised to keep certain details private. Like SilverFog said......you shoulda left your card or number with them. I'm sure that one of 'em would have called you when they see month end coming and you didn't come back. Also, I understand the economy in Quebec is still a bit in the toilet. Have you tried going there. That's where my dealer actually found my car. The Quebec dealer had this car and just wanted to get it out of their inventory. I guess the finance charges were starting to add up.