S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Mugen Computer (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/mugen-computer-754/)

JohnE 10-30-2000 03:48 PM

I just noticed that Mugen makes a computer for the S2000. Any power increase or other reason to buy one?

thanks in advance!

funcar 11-01-2000 11:16 AM

First of all I am not an expert but I know people who are.

I was expressing my disappointment about the Spoon exhaust upgrade to a friend of mine that works in a local tuner shop.
They do mostly the 'F' & 'P' cars and they build a lot of fast toys for really rich people.
Anyway
He told me he wasn't surprised at the outcome of the dyno. He said the first thing he would do if it were his car is get a progammable ECU. He recommended Motronic, and then put the car on the dyno and tune the car. I won't go into all the details but he said no two engines are alike even if the same guy builds both. But we all(stock) have the same maps in the ECU.
Tune the ECU to your car, then you make a mod, remap the ECU, you decide to run 98 oct, get a map for that, and so on.

another .02

funcar 11-01-2000 11:39 AM

The Motronic was $2500. And does not include dyno time and programming.
I am going a week from Friday to talk to them about it in person and find out things like, can it be programmed for the security chip in the key? or can it store multiple maps?
One more thing, you can forget about the warranty if you go this route.

Pepe 11-01-2000 01:42 PM

Funcar:

Unless you plan on using your car just for the track and ocasional drives around don't do the Programmable ECU. I know as I use to tune/program ECUs for various of Puerto Rico's fastests 4 cylinder doorslammers (drag cars)

First: You will have to butcher the whole wiring harness. Trial and error stuff.

Second: Kiss the factory warranty good bye

Also the car will have a hard time passing emissions, the ECU won't be able to control some functions of the car (like the security system), etc, etc...

I could go on and on. Sure this is the ticket for total power but at a large expense of more than money.

GTRPower 11-01-2000 02:13 PM

Hey all,

Here's a HARD fact-

Every single Integra Type R running in the Motorola Cup and SpeedVision World Challenge uses the Mugen N1 Race ECM. NONE of them use any type of programmable ECM. It is the most cost effective system out there for the ITR.

I would assume the same for the S2000, however, if you don't think it's necessary, I could probably demonstrate it's usefulness at GingerMan Raceway...

-Nick

turbo_pwr 11-01-2000 02:33 PM

Originally posted by funcar:
First of all I am not an expert but I know people who are.

I was expressing my disappointment about the Spoon exhaust upgrade to a friend of mine that works in a local tuner shop.
They do mostly the 'F' & 'P' cars and they build a lot of fast toys for really rich people.
Anyway
He told me he wasn't surprised at the outcome of the dyno. He said the first thing he would do if it were his car is get a progammable ECU. He recommended Motronic, and then put the car on the dyno and tune the car. I won't go into all the details but he said no two engines are alike even if the same guy builds both. But we all(stock) have the same maps in the ECU.
Tune the ECU to your car, then you make a mod, remap the ECU, you decide to run 98 oct, get a map for that, and so on.

another .02

Unless you are a hard core racer, it does not make any sense to get a Motronic system. Way to expensive for the average joe and more complicated than you would believe.

1Randyc 11-01-2000 08:14 PM

If your S2000 is in competition, this is no brainer.
You need upgraded ECU like Mugen.
Though the price is high, if you want to get the most out of your S2000, go ahead with Mugen ECU. The only concern is that it will deactivate your immobilizer.
Other than that it is great, it is more conservative upgrade than other type of ECUs out there in Japan but it does the job well.
Low and Mid range upgrade is easily noticeable and the car seem to move better from standing start.
There is no problem using the ECU other than immmobilizer deactivation. The car behaves normal but moves noticeably better.

E30M3 11-02-2000 03:15 AM

Maybe folks mean the MOTEC ecu? Motronic is a Bosch OEM product on BMWs and such.

Stan