S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My Day At APR (carbon fiber stuff, wing install notes and review)

Old 06-07-2003, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Day At APR (carbon fiber stuff, wing install notes and review)

So I wanted to put a big wing on my car for Willow Springs, as others seem to think it makes a big difference on the S2000. So I ordered a carbon fiber GTC200 universal wing from APR, but there were fitment issues that APR thought might be a problem on the S2000, so they had me go there so they could install it for. It was a very educational day. Here's what I learned:

CARBON FIBER: DRY VS. WET

There are two ways to make carbon fiber parts. The first, easiest, way is to use a wet lay up. This is how VIS hoods (and most hoods like fiberimages, etc) are made. It is basically made just like fiberglass, using a mold and resin where the carbon fiber is applied. This usually isn't made with more than 1 or 2 layers of carbon fiber, commonly backed by fiberglass. It is light weight, but not much lighter than fiberglass, and is mostly cosmetic. It is also no where near as strong as dry carbon fiber.

Dry carbon fiber involves baking the carbon fiber and using special molds with vacuums to form the part. The part is then sprayed with epoxy and clear coat to give it a finish so that it is smooth and shiny - just like the wet carbon fiber. They showed me a raw dry carbon part, before any epoxy or resin was applied. This stuff is awesome. It weighs next to nothing and is very very very very strong. This is what real carbon fiber is all about. All APR carbon fiber wings are made this way and it is the only way to make true carbon fiber in complex shapes, like perfectly round cylinders. They had a part that was 4 layers, raw carbon. It was 1/16 - 1/8" thick but I couldn't even BEND it, let alone break it. This stuff is NICE!!

S2000 WING MOUNTING

The S2000 has a sloping trunk, which caused problems on their prototype wings they mounted on some S2000 race cars. The production wing, which I had installed, didn't have those problems. The mounts don't sit perfectly flush, because of the slope, but nothing had to be modified to install the wing and the GTC200 looks GREAT on the S2000. Not too tall and not too riced-out. Everyone I showed it to that day and at the track liked the way it looked on the S2000. I'll post pics later.

S2000 TRUNK STABILITY

The wing moves up and down alot at highway/racetrack speeds. This is due to the aluminum skin on the trunk, which is too soft to hold its shape under the downforce. It didn't dent the hood permanently, but you would want the wing to be stable. The wing bolts do go through the underskeleton, but that part does not support the trunk skin. Short of adding supports on top of the hood, I don't see how you can make the wing perfectly stable without completely modifying the underside of the trunk, or getting a dry carbon trunk (which I will probably end up getting).

DOWNFORCE AND VISIBILITY

The wing is adjustable and the downforce is definitely noticeable. The wing does sit, at my height (6') perfectly centered through my rear windshield (2002 model glass) and does block some of my rear visibility, but does not really make it difficult to drive. I can still see omre than enough of the other cars to drive safely. At night it is a bit more difficult because it blocks the headlights of cars behind me, and without that I can't see the cars. Still, I didn't find visibility to much of an issue.

FINAL THOUGHT

I'd recommend this wing to anyone looking for a stylish, high quality wing for their S2000. There aren't that many out there that look this good for such a reasonable price. The wing retails for $675 but street price is probably under $600. Installation took about 2 hours (they weren't in a hurry) to be done perfectly and requires two people (but i guess if you don't have any friends, you could do it yourself!).

Thanks to the guys at APR (KC and Jason). They were really cool and easy going..and very knowledgable about the parts they sell.

www.aprperformance.com

-minboost-
Old 06-07-2003, 03:24 PM

Dry Carbon is definately the way to go. My Top Secret Hood is dry carbon and it's great stuff. Compared to a stock hood, it is considerably lighter. Good write-up and enjoy the spoiler.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:07 PM

Love my APR mini-drag wing. It was exactly what I was looking for (height). I would have preferred the wing to be carbon fiber but settled on the end plates since they don't make the mini-drag with CF.
Nice write-up!
Old 06-09-2003, 01:24 PM

Old 06-09-2003, 05:05 PM

One way to possibly fix the flexing trunk is to add siffiners on the underside of trunk.

See if 1/8" 6061 T6 will fit. Cut minimum of 1" width and as long as possible front to back. Have it run under mounting holes. (I'm assuming that you have maybe 2 or 3 bolts front to back on each wing support and mounted toward outside edge of trunk.) Go to local airport A&P and ask him to get you some aluminum aircraft adhesive. Mix and apply between backing and trunk. Bolt wing back into place with bolts going through trunk and plate. Clamp outer areas of plate and leave until dry.

This will add min. Weight and will stiffen considerably.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:36 PM

no, the mounts go through the underskeleton and I cannot put anything between the skeleton and the skin without hacking the hell out of my trunk...which i might end up doing.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:15 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Three words to solve trunk flex: CARBON FIBER TRUNK!
Old 06-10-2003, 02:38 PM

Three words to avoid carbon fiber trunk: TOO MUCH MONEY!

Dry carbon fiber trunk ~$4000 give or take a kidney.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:35 AM

Looks GREAT!

Can you post more pics?

Did you have to ask for S2000-specific mounts?

Spoon AP1
Old 04-05-2004, 11:32 PM

I am also interested in the APR GTC-200 wing.
Please post some more pictures.
Which one did you get?
AS-105958 GTC-200 10 / 59.5 Universal
AS-105957 GTC-200 Drag 5.0 / 59.5 Universal
AS-105951 GTC-200 Celica Spec 10 / 59.5 Celica 2000-up
AS-105914 GTC-200 WRX Spec 10 / 59.5 WRX 2002-up
Your post said Universal, Just wanted to make sure.