My Oil Analysis from Blackstone Labd - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > General Interest > S2000 Talk
Reload this Page >

My Oil Analysis from Blackstone Labd

Notices
S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My Oil Analysis from Blackstone Labd

Old 01-25-2019, 12:24 AM

Default My Oil Analysis from Blackstone Labd

Hello,

Just wanted to post my Report, will be doing another next oil change to see the ALUMINUM change. I drive my car like i stole it every time.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
01 S2000 YELLOW-190107 (1).pdf (32.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by inderjeetgill1; 01-25-2019 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:14 AM

Looks good.
I prefer engine oils in the -40 range with high HTHS, and older specifiaction, giving a little bit extra protection.
But, it´s good to see that the S2000 engines are doing well with almost any type of oil. Gives peace of mind.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:50 AM

Did I read this right? The car is burning a quart of oil every 700 miles?! Like every third tank of gas. (5.5 qts in 3780 miles).

Why the "high mileage" type motor oil? Just curious cuz it ain't helping oil consumption. I assume you put more 5W-30 oil in the engine with this oil change. 5W-40 may help. I'd start adding it when you're down a quart -- like next week.

-- Chuck
Old 01-25-2019, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
Did I read this right? The car is burning a quart of oil every 700 miles?! Like every third tank of gas. (5.5 qts in 3780 miles).

Why the "high mileage" type motor oil? Just curious cuz it ain't helping oil consumption. I assume you put more 5W-30 oil in the engine with this oil change. 5W-40 may help. I'd start adding it when you're down a quart -- like next week.

-- Chuck
i just got confused when filling the form, meant to say 5.5 quarts is added to the engine every new oil engine. I do burn about .5-.7 quart every 1k miles. Again, I drive my car very aggressive.

i went from Mobil 1 to pensoil to finally Castrol which help best with oil consumption.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:04 AM

Thanks for clarification!

I'm averaging 5500 miles between oil changes since acquiring my '06 in 2014 with no flagged elements other than the SUS and cST velocities being slightly and consistently low on all three samples but that "isn't new or concerning" according to the report. I doubt I use a quart of "make up" oil between changes. My next oil change won't be until May at the 12 month point as I only have a couple thousand miles so far on the Royal Purple 5W-30 in the engine. If viscosity is low then I'll consider going to 5W-40. (Actually my real curiosity is my direct injection Ford 3.5 EcoBoost engine where fuel dilution is alleged to occur.)

My metals numbers are all well below the universal averages so in your case I'd concentrate on preventing engine wear and not preserving the oil. 10W-40 "high mileage" would still be my first step. I hope (and expect) others here will have more specific oil recommendations regarding the metal wear. The problem with oil testing is it takes so long to generate the sample in the car. 5000 miles is taking me a year so if I go to 5W-40 based in this year's test it will be 2020 before I can see any results.

-- Chuck
Old 01-26-2019, 07:20 AM

I think your UOA looks fine, especially since your lead and chromium levels are low. Aluminum isn't really a wear metal and is not associated with bearing, cylinder or ring wear. I'm not sure what could be causing this.
Since your iron levels are a little high as well, my hunch would be that they're both caused by oxidation. Do you make a lot of cold starts between short trips, especially on cold days?That would result in moisture buildup that would form dilute acids that could oxidize metal surfaces. You don't show any residual moisture in your UOA, but a good long highway drive can burn off any moisture you had been accumulating.
You didn't get a TBN, which would have told you how much alkaline reserves you had left in the oil. Lots of cold starts between short trips significantly reduces TBN. If you're planning on continuing your current oil change interval (OCI) with your current driving habits, I wouldn't change anything. But if you have plans on extending your OCI, I'd consider getting TBN measured on you next UOA.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44 View Post
I think your UOA looks fine, especially since your lead and chromium levels are low. Aluminum isn't really a wear metal and is not associated with bearing, cylinder or ring wear. I'm not sure what could be causing this.
Since your iron levels are a little high as well, my hunch would be that they're both caused by oxidation. Do you make a lot of cold starts between short trips, especially on cold days?That would result in moisture buildup that would form dilute acids that could oxidize metal surfaces. You don't show any residual moisture in your UOA, but a good long highway drive can burn off any moisture you had been accumulating.
You didn't get a TBN, which would have told you how much alkaline reserves you had left in the oil. Lots of cold starts between short trips significantly reduces TBN. If you're planning on continuing your current oil change interval (OCI) with your current driving habits, I wouldn't change anything. But if you have plans on extending your OCI, I'd consider getting TBN measured on you next UOA.
thanks for advice. I do a lot of cold starts for short trips. I am going to stop doing short trips on cold days but car is fun to drive. It is getting cold in nj now and plan to put the car in garage till it gets warm.