S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

my s slides hard going from 1st go 2nd - ?problem

Old 04-23-2002, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my s slides hard going from 1st go 2nd - ?problem

i have a basically stock s and i have notice lately that i get a pretty major slide only to the right(3-6ft.) when shifting hard from 1st to 2nd, my tires are the stock s02s and still have decent tread left (35%), i never noticed this when the car was newer, does anyone else experience this. One time I felt like I was heading for a 180?
Old 04-24-2002, 07:10 AM

Check your tire preasure! Willing to bet that you are very low in your right rear tire.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:17 AM

Lol its cause your shifting hard and right. That happened to me when i drove my frineds 99 stang gt, the ass went out like 3 feet, quite a scary feeling the first few times. I did not think the s2k could do it, but who knows. Mike
Old 04-24-2002, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

double check for spring spacers... maybe you have them on one side of the car-
Old 04-24-2002, 09:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by osu s2k
[B]i have a basically stock s and i have notice lately that i get a pretty major slide only to the right(3-6ft.) when shifting hard from 1st to 2nd, my tires are the stock s02s and still have decent tread left (35%),
Old 04-24-2002, 09:25 AM

I'd say adust your technique a bit. It would probably be a good idea to "feed " the throttle as you let the clutch go, and not like an "on/off" switch. This doesn't mean do it slower, just smoother.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:05 PM

maybe your tires were cold? Mine does it only when the tires are cold.
Old 04-24-2002, 01:49 PM

I would assume that this happens when you make the 1-2 shift while making a turn (left more likely than right). Am I correct?

I have encountered the same situation many times and my tires have been warm, tire pressure fine (37/35 psi), and I don't have any spring spacers.

The reason for this behavior is because the S2000 exhibits a bit of lift-throttle oversteer. If you stay on the gas and hold a gear through a turn, the rear end stays planted very well. However, if you lift off of the throttle quickly to change gears while in a turn, the rear end will significantly lighten up and feel like it's stepping out. When you get back on the gas, in the new, gear, the rear end will plant itself again.

Conclusion: it's poor technique to shift and accelerate hard while in a turn. You can too easily unsettle the balance of the car.

P.S. I've also had the rear step out, to the right while going from 1st to 2nd, quite a bit while accelerating hard in a straight line. Normally, my tires would just chirp going into 2nd but I attributed this incident to my tires being very worn (at the wear bars with 18K miles on them).
Old 04-24-2002, 02:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Silver Bullet
[B]

Conclusion:
Old 04-24-2002, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by speeeding
There's nothing wrong w/ shifting, and accelerating while turning.
I agree with you. That's why I said, "it's poor technique to shift and accelerate hard while in a turn." I was assuming that osu s2k was accelerating very hard while shifting in mid-turn. I've shifted gears in mid-turn many times and only notice this problem if I've got the throttle at 7/10ths or more.

Actually, I'd love to try a shifter kart someday. It looks like a lot of fun and a fairly inexpensive way to get into true racing (if there ever was an inexpensive way to get into racing). By "true racing" I mean a vehicle that was built for that purpose.

Quick Reply: my s slides hard going from 1st go 2nd - ?problem