S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need Help! I have thrown a Rod on my s 2000!

Old 05-13-2002, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help! I have thrown a Rod on my s 2000!

Need Help! I have thrown a Rod on my s 2000! Is there any sugestions on how to get them to cover it? They explaining to me that its not faulty parts, but simply an accident. Need help!
Old 05-13-2002, 09:23 PM

Your the third one that I have heard of this week.

Sorry I can't be of help, but keep us informed about the progress. Also if you could referance the dealer and what there first and final opinion are it would be helpful for the whole board.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:49 PM

Excuse my ignorant but what is a thrown rod? did a search on the web but not much there.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:35 PM

Dennis - Sorry to hear that dude.

My neighbor and dear friend had the same exact thing happen to him.

I registered here just to help him find out some info. Good Luck

I think the dealer quoted $2500 just to confirm the problem and up to $18K to replace the engine.

Try calling the CA dept of Auto Repair:

How To File A Complaint About an Auto Repair Shop

In 1971, the Department of Consumer Affairs' Bureau of Automotive Repair (DCA/BAR), a California state agency, was established to prevent abuses in the auto repair industry. DCA/BAR gives consumers a formal way to take action against negligent repair shops.

If you have a complaint, it is often easier and quicker to resolve the matter directly with the repair shop. If you cannot solve the problem, you may want to file a formal complaint with DCA/BAR. Here is how to file a complaint:

Contact the toll-free number, 1-800-952-5210, to obtain a complaint form. Complete the form and return it to DCA/BAR. Save all your receipts; they may be helpful when DCA/BAR reviews your complaint.

When they receive your form, DCA/BAR will assign a case number to your complaint. Within 10 days you will receive a postcard acknowledging receipt of your complaint, and identifying the DCA/BAR representative assigned to your case.

A supervisor will review the complaint to see if it appears the shop has violated the Auto Repair Act or any other laws.

Your assigned DCA/BAR representative will review the complaint and contact you.

Your DCA/BAR representative will attempt to mediate on your behalf with the repair shop. While DCA/BAR cannot represent you in court, collect money, or levy fines on your behalf, your DCA/BAR representative will contact the owner or manager of the repair shop, describe you complaint and attempt to facilitate a satisfactory settlement.

The mediation effort may require your DCA/BAR representative to contact you and the repair shop several times. Both sides will be kept informed about the case by mail.

If it appears that any Auto Repair Act violations have occurred, your DCA/BAR representative will try to obtain documentation and DCA/BAR may then issue a Notice of Violation to the repair shop.

A final mediated resolution will be confirmed with both sides and you will be notified, by phone, in person, or by mail when the case is closed.

Each year, DCA/BAR negotiates more then $4 million in rework, refunds and adjustments on behalf of consumers. If you feel you have a complaint requiring investigation, call us. We'll help you check it out!

For More Information

Call toll free 1-800-952-5210 for more information.

California Department of Consumer Affairs
Bureau of Automotive Repair
10240 Systems Parkway
Sacramento, CA 95827
Old 05-14-2002, 05:10 AM

I threw a rod too, on May 5th.

I just heard yesterday from the dealer that they are going to cover it.

Hopefully, they don't have second thoughts, but it looks like there's going to be a happy ending.

Keep the faith, especially if its still under warranty! Of course, your last option is a lawyer (or at least the threat may be enough).

My experience has been that Honda will stand behind their car.
Old 05-14-2002, 07:14 AM

Dennis, you didn't tell us the mileage on the car and/or why they say it's an "accident." Also, what was oil level at the time? What's their basis for denying warranty? Doesn't sound like we are getting the whole story. How about some more info.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:05 PM

To answer some questions on the Thrown Rod:

- My car has 7,500 miles on it
- The oil level was fine.
- Based on there Idea the car had no defective parts, since I was the cause of the in proper down shift in to 2nd gear," which is now known a s a common problem with the cars" They will not cover it.
Some of what they say makes sense, but in the sense that the shifter will allow you to drop it into 2nd can be sorted as a defect? Allot of you know it a fairly easy thing to do. Honda says they have fought this case in court and were ruled in there favor. I also had a thought that my Car insurance would cover this since it
Old 05-14-2002, 08:13 PM

So to clarify the point - you shifted from 3rd or 5th into 2nd at a high RPM and that blew up your engine?

Mine goes straight into 4th from 3rd. If I am in 5th I always let the stick go to neutral and then push down.

Good luck, but if your answer above is yes, then IMHO you would be the cause.
Old 05-14-2002, 11:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by Indecision
Excuse my ignorant but what is a thrown rod? did a search on the web but not much there.
Since noone is answering.
Your piston is connected to the crankshaft by a rod (piston rod). It is connected to the piston (called the small end) and connected to the crankshaft (called the big end). The bottom of the big end sits over its corresponding shaft bearing. To keep it there, it has an opposing "cap" that completes "encasement" of the bearing. If any part of the rod assembly breaks, you've "thrown" it. Usually, it's the bearing cap bolts that let go but not in all cases.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:30 AM
jzr

Ack, what's up with all these San Diegans throwing their rods? Hope it's not contagious!

Quick Reply: Need Help! I have thrown a Rod on my s 2000!