S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Never again will my girl drive my car!

Old 09-01-2003, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get in the passenger seat and explain to her that she should take it up to about 8,500 rpm before shifting. (She's owned a couple sports cars and is usually pretty car saavy). Suddenly, she guns it through first gear around a corner fishtailing the rear end back and forth a bit. I explain that it's rear wheel drive and she should not floor it around corners. Like an idiot, though, I want her to get a feel for the VTEC so I suggest she takes it up to 8, 500 rpm. She takes another corner softly and then punches it and I see the redline rising and it was like a slow motion movie scene. I start to yell, "Nooooooooooooo!!! Shiiiiifffffft!!!"

I thought the computer was supposed to limit the rpm to 9,000. I swear it went all the way through the red zone to what would theoretically be 10,000 rpm. Can this be accurate? Somehow, I summoned the inner strength to only raise my voice A LITTLE as I explained that 10,000 is more than 8,500. She replied that there was a Harley approaching fast and she had moved into his lane. Boy, that made me feel a load better.

How much damage could she have done to my engine? I only have 3400 miles on it. Everything seems fine, but I still feel nervous.

Anyone else made the mistake of letting the significant other get behind the wheel?
Old 09-01-2003, 02:12 AM

To my knowledge, at 10,700 RPM the pistons go through the engine block which causes possibly irreversible damage to the engine. Below that I don't think you've seriously damaged your engine, although you certainly gave it a more then healthy work out. The question of whether the ECU should have shifted for you is intriguing, does anybody know if the ECU autoshifts or limits the RPM or if just yells at you in a monotone computer voice when you stop it.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:32 AM

auto shift???? it isnt an automatic transmission.
shouldnt it have bounced and started to surge, like it was hitting the rev limiter. what the hell is wrong with this person, i mean, why would one just keep punching the throttle, and not change up, or...how about this, slowly let the accelerator peddle off. pure genius that, taking ur foot off the pedal, i know its a new concept, how about we try that a little now..... revs rising to an unbelievably high level, engine noise very loud, take ur foot off.
seriously, some people....
Old 09-01-2003, 04:05 AM

Originally posted by Dakkon
The question of whether the ECU should have shifted for you is intriguing, does anybody know if the ECU autoshifts or limits the RPM or if just yells at you in a monotone computer voice when you stop it.
Autoshifting?? Now THAT is funny. It's highly unlikely that if she went into the redzone while accelerating, that she did any damage. The ECU will cut fuel and spark to the cylinders to prevent over-revs. You probably just "think" you saw her go that deep into the red, as the tach will flash at you if you go into the red.

It is possible however to damage the engine by forcing over-revs with a downshift, as has been discussed here ad nauseum.

My SO can't drive a stick, so that's a relief, but another good female friend has driven my car several times, and even as she enjoys the kick of VTEC, she has enough common sense to keep well below redline.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by djohnston
[B]The ECU will cut fuel and spark to the cylinders to prevent over-revs.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup you can't cause damage by flooring it past redline but a mechanical overrev (downshifting past redline) will force the engine speed to accommodate your car speed in that gear.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your girlfriend did nothing wrong. The rev-limiter is there to prevent you from over-revving the engine while accelerating. You should now apologize profusely to your GF for yelling at her for no good reason.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:25 AM

Sheesh, automatically giving women a bad name....lol

I know one thing is for sure, if that were my car, she would never drive my car again. Now, I dont think you would have really anything to worry about with the over-rev. From where you were sitting, it may have looked like it went over 10K but the S has a rev-limiter for a reason. To prevent "women" and men from over reving it and causing irrepariable damage. Unless for some reason you have removed this, I dont think it's the case.

Next time you should tell her that's why Brakes were invented. So the person behind her can slow down. Replacing brakes are cheaper tehn replacing the whole motor
Old 09-01-2003, 11:19 AM

My apexi rsm constantly reaches max revs at about 92XXRPM
I have a stock set up.
you will be fine.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Tedow
Your girlfriend did nothing wrong. The rev-limiter is there to prevent you from over-revving the engine while accelerating. You should now apologize profusely to your GF for yelling at her for no good reason.
... unless she feels guilty and thinks she did something awful. then you should milk it for all it's worth but also show her how magnanimous you are by forgiving her unequivocally. you'll get some that night lemme tell ya, and it'll the best you've had for months.

EDIT: why is when I post things like this I just know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I'm ruining any chances I might have with any visiting s2ki girlies? ah well, it's still worth it....

Quick Reply: Never again will my girl drive my car!