S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New law in NY coming out about vehicle emissions

Old 08-28-2003, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New law in NY coming out about vehicle emissions

I was just in a local Midas to ask if they could make me a custom exhaust for my S and they said no. I was like um, ok, why? They told me that in June next year NY state is coming out with stricter vehicle emissions laws for any car made after 1995. With the custom exhaust I wanted he didn't think my S would pass the new tests that will be coming out. He said it will probably be like California and there strict emissions.
he also told me that every inspection station will have a computer that they use to test the emissions with. This computer will send the result of the test including your name, make, model, and registration information to the DMV. If your car doesn't pass the tests they may cancel your vehicle registration. Now I don't know how much of this is true but it sounds like its going to suck.
I was planning on changing my exhaust soon. Now I guess I should wait and see what's going to happen?
Old 08-28-2003, 05:14 PM

i don't see how an exhaust will affect your emmissions...assuming you keep the cat....or a noise issue
Old 08-28-2003, 05:18 PM

those commi bastards
Old 08-28-2003, 05:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jimbo69ny
[B]I was just in a local Midas to ask if they could make me a custom exhaust for my S and they said no. I was like um, ok, why? They told me that in June next year NY state is coming out with stricter vehicle emissions laws for any car made after 1995. With the custom exhaust I wanted he didn't think my S would pass the new tests that will be coming out. He said it will probably be like California and there strict emissions.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like he doesn't know what he is talking about. You can't make laws retroactive.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, you can. However, if you keep the cat and other equipmnet installed and in proper working order, it won't matter. The test can only be essentially a sniff test at idle so even if the exhaust changes performance through the range, it almost assuredly won't make a difference at idle.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:03 AM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jguerdat
[B]Yeah, you can.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:41 AM

the rest of new york state will have the same testing and standards now in the nyma (new york metropolitan area).
if your reg has nyma on it, you must have emmissions testing, the rest of the state is now safety inspection only.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:33 AM

Originally posted by Kenny'S2K
the rest of new york state will have the same testing and standards now in the nyma (new york metropolitan area).
if your reg has nyma on it, you must have emmissions testing, the rest of the state is now safety inspection only.
ok for those of you in NYC, can you pass with aftermarket exhaust?
Old 08-29-2003, 04:38 AM
Former Moderator

Originally posted by jimbo69ny

ok for those of you in NYC, can you pass with aftermarket exhaust?
Yes, as long as you have a cat on still and no changes in your ecu (timing), it shouldn't be a problem.

Quick Reply: New law in NY coming out about vehicle emissions