S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   new member with a big problem (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/new-member-big-problem-99702/)

toofast4u 01-12-2003 05:47 PM

new member with a big problem

ok...so I just bought my s2000, in addition to my bmw...so I drive the bad boy and a couple days after I got it...I hear a light ticking noise under the hood...sounded like lifters so I check the oil and it's kinda low, so I added a quart or two and went on my way. Well a couple more days goes by and the ticking not only doesn't stop it gets louder...to the point where it sounds like the bad boy is going to explode. Well having only 20k miles I take it to dealer and have them inspect it. Now I'm a 19 year old, and the following day they call me and say, "oh this is not covered by warentee because it was over reved, and it broke the exausht valve in the bottom of the engine" Well as you may know...this is honda's race engine, it is made to be over reved, and there is also a rev limited in place to prevent stuff like this. So I tell off the service rep and get my car back. This time I have my dad take the car to another dealer which says that the car can't be over reved, but it is not covered by warentee this time because of oil starvation to cyl. 3. Now my question is...can oil starvation happen to just one cylinder, or does it happen to all. Was there some sort of oil pump malfunction? Has anyone else had this problem? Well in conclusion I had a rebuilt engine put in for about 4500 dollars and now I'm thinking of sueing honda motor corp, for faulty construction. Mainly I looking for other people who have had similar problems, or website with this problem documented...that way I can have some evidence for my case. I appreciate the help and I look forward to talking to you guys some more. I have pics of the engine if anyone wants to see.

S2KYSK 01-12-2003 06:38 PM

Have you tried search function? Try that first. After that, you still have Q's than ask away.

Legal Bill 01-12-2003 06:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2KYSK
[B]Have you tried search function?

toofast4u 01-12-2003 06:47 PM

I already read that one...good info...but my car didn't just up and stop
it was still driveable...but from the way you guys say it, is this a common problem, failure with the s2000 engine?

kem 01-12-2003 08:07 PM

The quick answer is yes - oil starvation can very easily happen in a single location - all it takes is one clogged oil passage. Not sure in your case, but it is possible that running hard when low on oil once can cause overheating and "coking" (solid particles) in the remaining oil.

Any dash lights?

Any idea where in cylinder 3? Either bottom end (crank/rod/pin) or top end (valvetrain)?
If it is only one location and the rest looks fine, it isn't a pump problem, and there should be enough evidence left over to confirm exactly what went wrong.

A good teardown inspection by someone who knows his stuff can show everything.

SkipX 01-13-2003 04:58 AM

Barry,

Do you think that adding a by-pass oil filer system might help prevent something like this?

I.e. Amsoil et. al. ?

-Skip

GeorgeP 01-13-2003 05:25 AM

Too Fast, your post is a little confusing. You say your oil was down a quart or two. There is a big difference between a quart and 2 quarts. If it was down 2 quarts you may very well have damaged the engine. The second issue is the overrev. The car has a rev limiter that kicks in when the engine reaches 9000 RPM on acceleration. However the limiter provides no protection at all on downshifting from over reving. Did you ever miss a downshift and get 2nd instead of 4th? That is how most engine damage happens on the S2000. One last thing to keep in mind. You need to check your oil every fillup. This car can use a lot under certain conditions.

toofast4u 01-13-2003 09:24 AM

good questions...I'll try to answer them all...ready...

Kem...there doesn't seem to be any top end damage...mostly bottom end. But I'm not a mechanic, only a DIYer

Barry...good thread...my problem isn't broken pistons...the mechanic says that is a cracked ring...I'm at work now, but when I get home I can show you all the pics...like 10 of then engine all opened up. Car was an 01, and like I said about 20k. No check engine or oil light came on.

George...I added about a quart and a half...hence 1 or 2 quarts...as for a downshift, I really doubt that...I've never money shifted before. and it's not like I'm inexperienced with the car and how it can preform. Not to say I'm a racing expert, which I'm not, but I've had my share of experience...from Mustang Gt's to BMW M3's. My dad owns a car dealership and I drive pretty much whatever is in his lot. Nothing past 8K, and no downshifting when it wasn't right. Maybe a 6th to 4th going about 85 mph. But nothing like 110mph to 3rd gear or something.

My one crucial mistake, I didn't check the engine oil before. My guess is the guy who owned it before, ran it with low oil for a while.

But I digress...it seems that many people are having problems with there s2000 engines failing...is there any kind of class action suit we can file as a group?

SJSHARKS 01-13-2003 11:22 AM

If the piston didn't crack, how did the exhaust valve end up in the bottom of the engine?

greybeard 01-13-2003 01:18 PM

20 thousand mile car..............how much of the previous history do you know?...........who knows how the previous owner, or 2, may have driven or maintained the car.........

greybeard