S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New to the S2K world, first mods help

Old 07-11-2011, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clazzio seat covers and change all fluids. sound system upgrade to better HU and speakers is also nice if needed. For performance other then FI, I dont see any other useful upgrades. s2k is best stock....too many ricers here, dont be one.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:16 AM

I think most of you guys took the post wrong, I'm not some ricer young kid who wants to put neon underneath and a huge body kit, for example yesterday I put red H badges on it because the interior is red and an led liscense plate light, that's what I meant by 'first' 'cheap' mods. And I understand just because its RWD doesn't mean I am some superhero and its not like the srt was the only car I have owned, just the only one with a forum I was apart of, and I had over 400hp in my old car I obviously didn't but an s2k to make huge power or be 'cool' I just like the car all around. Thanks for the input so far guys, I'm going to look on some stuff for handling, would also like more input on exterior mods or interior mods, thanks guys!
Old 07-11-2011, 06:25 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Welcome to the S2000. Unlike cars you may have had in the past, the S2000 is a performance car and doesn't need mods per se to get enjoyment out of it, so the first thing I would do is just enjoy the car and start to think about things you'd like to change, then ask about mods.

One thing about the S - not much is cheap to mod with it. Some ideas though for cosmetic stuff could be debadging it, replacing the interior lights with LEDs, getting a different shift knob, like a countersunk knob, the cupholder mod, door lock covers, etc.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This is the same recommendation I give to anyone who asks me this type of question. Leave the car bone stock to start (not including stereo equipment because that doesn't affect performance) get some really grippy tires too... Then find out about your local SCCA region and when/where they do autox (aka Solo). do a season of regular participation in autox events. at the end of the season you will have learned how to really enjoy this car, it is hard to learn to drive a car fast when it is different every time you drive it.

After that season you have a decision to make, A) have you been bit by the autox bug enough to want to try to be competitive? or B) was it fun but you would rather mod strictly to your taste?

if A) then you have to decide if you would like to do stock class (cat-back, shocks with stock springs, and a front sway bar) or STR (add coilovers, header, hfc, and more) and do research on this board about each class

if B) then decide what will make u enjoy it more

in either case, do one mod at a time, learn the car, get the mod tuned right (suspension or engine) and to do that for suspension you will need to do more autox or track days, there should be at least a few months and a few autox/track days in between mods for you to get used to them and get them set up how you like. that will also allow you to decide what you want next. The only exception to the one at a time rule, is power mods.

but in the end, real grippy tires are the best upgrade for this car... PERIOD
Old 07-11-2011, 07:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harrower
The s2k is completely stock, im just wondering your opinions on some "cheap" or even free mods that are good to start out with? Because i know on the srt forums, i found out alot of stuff i could mod very cheap or even free, all opinions welcome and im ready to start modding.
No such thing with the S. Spend some time on the track. It's the most cost effective mod and it will lead you to mods that will actually benefit you rather than appearance mods that are apparently so popular. Don't mod just for the sake of modding. Get to know your S first.

Originally Posted by Harrower
I think most of you guys took the post wrong, I'm not some ricer young kid who wants to put neon underneath and a huge body kit, for example yesterday I put red H badges on it because the interior is red and an led liscense plate light, that's what I meant by 'first' 'cheap' mods. And I understand just because its RWD doesn't mean I am some superhero and its not like the srt was the only car I have owned, just the only one with a forum I was apart of, and I had over 400hp in my old car I obviously didn't but an s2k to make huge power or be 'cool' I just like the car all around. Thanks for the input so far guys, I'm going to look on some stuff for handling, would also like more input on exterior mods or interior mods, thanks guys!
Recommendation still stands: track time. Autocross if track days are too pricey.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:41 AM

You've already completed the best mod: the 'trade in a fwd girly neon for a mans car' mod. ;-D
Old 07-11-2011, 08:50 AM

Is it an AP1? If so upgrading to 17" wheels and wider tires was a great investment IMO.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:20 AM

The only 2 mods I can comment on that won't break the bank is the FIPK and the Ingalls ETD. Both provide good benefit for the price and will enhance your driving experience.

I will also second taking some performance driving lessons that teach you how this RWD car behaves. You will be surprised at how much different throttle inputs on a turn will affect balance and steering, more so than FWD. I'd also find a local autocross location and learn how to push the limits in a safe and controlled environment. Make sure you take an instructor with you on the first few runs until you feel comfortably in control.

And probably the best advice of all...KEEP THE RACING ON THE TRACK! Performance driving is fun and opening her up on the street is very tempting but choose your timing wisely. Remember there are a lot of idiots on the road that don't follow the rules (eg signal before changing lanes, merge rules, solid white lines indicating they should stay in lane, etc.), and in a split second one could get in front of you giving you no where to go. Be safe.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just needs a driver mod (unless you're already a seasoned driver).

Something tells me this guy will be visiting the Forced Induction subform soon, if he hasn't already.

Just try to make it past the first few months without totalling the car...
Old 07-11-2011, 11:01 AM

+1 on good tires. good tires = safety + performance. but i would look at thread wear too, no need to replace tires every year

Quick Reply: New to the S2K world, first mods help