S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The next-gen S2000 could use the 2.0-liter turbocharged I4 @ 320 HP.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

The current Miata ND will be closer to the original S2k than the successor I bet - manual tranny, NA, no frills, simple, pure drivers car, (relatively) raw, etc.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah2000
The current Miata ND will be closer to the original S2k than the successor I bet - manual tranny, NA, no frills, simple, pure drivers car, (relatively) raw, etc.
Dude, we hear you loud and clear and we all know that the ND is a great car. But man, talk about constant shilling. How come you don't own one yet?
Old 02-06-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

He has a point though - anything Honda makes these days is likely to be over-engineered and not really a "successor" to the S2000, but some hybrid sporty car. The Miata is a simple concept, well executed; it just lacks power.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by uh0h50
Dude, we hear you loud and clear and we all know that the ND is a great car. But man, talk about constant shilling. How come you don't own one yet?

You do know you can add users to ignore?

Also, I laugh at the folks complaining about starting a thread like this. It isn't as though this section of the site is overwhelmed with content.

Anyway, given how long it took a new nsx to come out, I doubt we will see a new s2000 for a good while. If we do, it won't be anything like its predecessor.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:06 AM

Imagine if Honda listened to their loyal fans and actually came out with a new updated series of awesome NA engines..like how the K-series came right after the B-series (both of the best series Honda has ever offered).
Let's call it ?-series for example, and let's say they put it in their new S2000 and a couple of their other future cars (CRV, Civic, new Intergra, new TSX).

Now, let's get dreaming and think what this new ?-series NA engine could have: Vtec of course, Dual VTC, forged rods and pistons, high comp, a very nice rod-stroke ratio for 9-10k redline, probably direct injection and variable intake runners for modernity's sake/trend, 280-320bhp with 6-7spd manual tranny and lsd...what else would you like to see a new Honda NA engine series have?
Old 02-06-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

A turbo charger to provide some low-end power and compensate for altitude
And some sort of additional system to compensate for turbo lag.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

The original Eclipse/TSX were really good cars. But each successive iteration got more and more watered down, until eventually it was a fwd, heavy, soulless lump of can't get out of its own way. And you know what happened? They sold more and more of 'em. The worse it got, the more they sold.

People don't want gourmet, they want McDonald's.

Honda wasn't interested in selling the most cars when they built the S. They built the car they wanted to, as their 50th birthday present to themselves, and to us.

If this time around they want to compete on units sold, it will not be the car we want. Our only hope is once again they will be looking to do something great for their 70th anniversary.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The original Eclipse/TSX were really good cars. But each successive iteration got more and more watered down, until eventually it was a fwd, heavy, soulless lump of can't get out of its own way. And you know what happened? They sold more and more of 'em. The worse it got, the more they sold.

People don't want gourmet, they want McDonald's.

Honda wasn't interested in selling the most cars when they built the S. They built the car they wanted to, as their 50th birthday present to themselves, and to us.

If this time around they want to compete on units sold, it will not be the car we want. Our only hope is once again they will be looking to do something great for their 70th anniversary.
Well said.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:17 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah2000
Imagine if Honda listened to their loyal fans and actually came out with a new updated series of awesome NA engines..like how the K-series came right after the B-series (both of the best series Honda has ever offered).
Let's call it ?-series for example, and let's say they put it in their new S2000 and a couple of their other future cars (CRV, Civic, new Intergra, new TSX).

Now, let's get dreaming and think what this new ?-series NA engine could have: Vtec of course, Dual VTC, forged rods and pistons, high comp, a very nice rod-stroke ratio for 9-10k redline, probably direct injection and variable intake runners for modernity's sake/trend, 280-320bhp with 6-7spd manual tranny and lsd...what else would you like to see a new Honda NA engine series have?

A flat plane crank v8. We already know a v8 fits. Now give it the flat plane crank trq curve we like in our 4 banger but x2. And give us a healthy 400-500hp to go with it. If Ford can put one in their 35k Mustang, surely Honda can do it, and better. Id settle for a high strung inline 6. I think the car should probably stay integral to its high revving NA platform, so that means its going to need either displacement, or further wicked refinement that made our current the highest hp per liter until the 458/Italia came along many years later. Im thinking that alleviates another inline 4 option, unless you guys want to make it a hybrid, which i dont.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
A flat plane crank v8. We already know a v8 fits. Now give it the flat plane crank trq curve we like in our 4 banger but x2. And give us a healthy 400-500hp to go with it. If Ford can put one in their 35k Mustang, surely Honda can do it, and better. Id settle for a high strung inline 6. I think the car should probably stay integral to its high revving NA platform, so that means its going to need either displacement, or further wicked refinement that made our current the highest hp per liter until the 458/Italia came along many years later. Im thinking that alleviates another inline 4 option, unless you guys want to make it a hybrid, which i dont.
That would be a monster. Doubt Honda would go v8 though.

What about an updated v6 J-series in performance R spec, flat-plane perhaps and also a high-revving and high-compression version. Those J series sound super nice.

Quick Reply: The next-gen S2000 could use the 2.0-liter turbocharged I4 @ 320 HP.