S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Next SoCal S2000 Owners Meet! - Nov. 12 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/next-socal-s2000-owners-meet-nov-12-a-198/)

TFota 10-13-2000 03:08 PM

I've been dragging my heels on this for way too long; a lot of people have e-mailed me wanting to know when the next one would be.

The date was mentioned previously and those that replied didn't have any problem with that date. It's also probably the only date that will work for me for the rest of this year.

Suggestions for a location have been Palm Springs, Ortega Highway and Lake Arrowhead.

The first meet was in March in Julian, northern San Diego County, with three owners.

The second meet was in March in Palm Springs (coordinated by Redone, who lives near Victoria, B.C., Canada, and didn't even have his car yet!) with eight owners.

The third meet was in May on the Angeles Crest Highway, starting near Pasadena, with 24 owners.

The last meet was in July to Mt. Palomar, in San Diego County, with 26 owners! (This one set the record in the U.S!)

There have been a lot of new owners in SoCal in the last three months and hopefully we can have a meet with over 30 cars!

However, I don't live close enough to any of those locations, so I'm going to need help from anyone who is willing to work out the details. I'll be more than glad to coordinate, send out the Evite and keep everybody up to date, but somebody's going to have to work out the route.

Requirements for a good location would be:<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>large parking lot for the initial meeting place, preferably an exclusive lot, for lots of pictures. A nearby gas station would be helpful
<LI>good driving route with scenery and twisties, with a minimum of traffic lights and stop signs so we can stay together
<LI>intermediate stopping areas, same requirements as the initial meeting space
<LI>good place to stop for lunch, with plenty of parking and someplace willing to handle 40 to 80 people.
<LI>if we continue after lunch, a final ending place with the same requirements as the meeting place.[/list]
I'll be sending out an Evite to everyone who has attended a SoCal Meet before, plus everyone that was invited to the last meet and wasn't able to make it or was a no-show ( :D).

So if you are interested in attending and don't get an Evite by the end of this weekend, e-mail me to get added to the list (please put "SoCal Meet" in the subject line).

Hope to see all the SoCal owners (and fisch) then!

TFota 10-13-2000 04:33 PM

Ok, the Evite has been sent!

Link to SoCal S2000 Owners Nov '00 Meet

If you haven't already received the Evite and you live in SoCal, or close enough to consider coming, please check out the Evite and add yourself as a guest. If this doesn't work, e-mail me and I will add you.

wanabe 10-13-2000 04:55 PM

we were going to organize a west los angeles meet later this month... any interest in combining the two? the only thing we concluded was that we wanted to include palos verdes and some stretch of beach in the drive part..

TFota 10-13-2000 05:18 PM

wanabe, this is why when your idea of a West LA meet came up earlier, I suggested that it not be limited to a small geographical area because this has been done three times before and everyone in SoCal was invited.

Part of our goal in the past was to get the largest number of S2000s together in one place and I think that we broke the known U.S. record last time.

If you're planning on doing a meet just for people in West LA it seems kind of exclusionary. My goal is to get everyone in Southern California together. Believe me, every time we've gotten more and more cars involved and there's just something about seeing that many S2000s together that's pretty amazing!

Small groups are fine if you want to concentrate on the driving. Large groups tend to be more social, since it's really a hassle to keep all the cars together.

As far as me being able to attend this month, I and other people that have attended have commitments until Nov. 12, so I and at least one other San Diego owner won't be able to attend.

wanabe 10-13-2000 07:56 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TFota:
[B]wanabe, this is why when your idea of a West LA meet came up earlier, I suggested that it not be limited to a small geographical area because this has been done three times before and everyone in SoCal was invited...
My goal is to get everyone in Southern California together.

cthree 10-13-2000 11:06 PM

Dang Tom! That's the weekend before Comdex. I may not be able to be there but I will if I can. The weekend before is better for me :D

mingster 10-14-2000 12:01 AM

don't know if you guys know this, but there's this light tower right by the ocean on top of a cliff, and it's right off of Hawthorne and (i think) PCH. there's a park there where we can sit and have lunch/dinner, and a relatively large parking lot.

RHES2K 10-14-2000 08:19 AM

I think the place Richard is talking about is the Point Vicente Interpretive Center and light house which is located at the end of Hawthorne Blvd and Palos Verdes Drive West in Ranch Palos Verdes. Parking can be tough at times. There are some fun roads to drive on but the entire drive can be done in about 20 minutes. Anyone know their way around Santa Yenz Valley? Lunch could be done at Solvang.
------------
Steve

TFota 10-14-2000 09:16 AM

Steve, according to Mapquest, Solvang is 253 miles and 5 hours from San Diego! Getting to the Santa Ynez Valley by 8:30 AM would require an overnight stay the night before for anyone from San Diego with a LONG drive home when it's over.

My goal would be for no one to have to drive more than two hours to get to the start location and no more than two hours to get home from the end location. I've included this question in the Evite and some people don't want to drive two hours to/from the meet.

That's why I see Orange County or Riverside County or Northern San Diego County as likely locations, since they're midway between northern LA and San Diego.

JohnA 10-15-2000 09:16 PM

Shame it isn't the same weekend as the CART race I'll be down for Sat & Sun, anybody want to pop a beer and shoot the stook?
JohnA