S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

No catalytic converter

Old 04-19-2019, 09:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Like some have said, buy a used OEM cat, buy a Denso upstream o2 and the cheapest downstream o2.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:08 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Opinions are like butts, we all have them. Here's more of mine:

A drive by wire S2000 can be FlashPro tuned for some relatively astounding mid-range power via a 3600 rpm VTEC engagement. Requires a high-flow cat so don't fit an OEM cat unless the dealer is paying for it.

"Dealer" as in a franchised Honda dealer or "Bubba's Imports?"

You may need to remind them it is illegal to sell a car without a catalytic converter. Objects are sold with a common law assumption they are suitable for their intended use so unless this car was sold "for off road use only" the seller has committed fraud. I don't think "as is" gets them relieved from selling an illegal car. I'd let them correct that with an OEM cat (which you can sell later if you want to tune and fit a high flow cat). Of course there is always the alternative that the dealer will want to buy back the illegal car setting another dilemma since this is a highly desirable car.

-- Chuck
Old 04-23-2019, 03:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is also a good reason to have a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) before buying ANY vehicle. As a buyer, it gives you negotiating leverage and/or peace of mind when buying a vehicle. The only downsides are the negligible costs and slight inconvenience; everything else is upside for the buyer.

This won't help the OP, but it should help anyone else considering purchasing a vehicle. Like me.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:52 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Folks, its a 10 year old car. I'm betting the dealer sold it "as is".

Unless the dealer sold it with a warranty, they will likely not do much.

Find a used Honda cat. Or buy a new Honda cat.

A Berk cat will almost for sure throw a CEL on a 09 unless you space out the O2 sensor.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an OEM cat id sell. PM me if you want it.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:53 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Berk cat has a spacer built in. No cel on my dbw '06.

Selling 'as is' may not protect them from missing emissions control equipment. It means they offer no warranty. Too bad if its broke. But missing and broke are not the same thing. There is also a 'non operational' used car designation. I believe using that designation would fully exempt them from not supplying all the emissions equipment.

Bit as stated before, the only real leverage you have is to get your money back and lose the car. But you could certainly try to negotiate some cash for a used or aftermarket cat.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:49 AM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Berk cat has a spacer built in. No cel on my dbw '06.

Selling 'as is' may not protect them from missing emissions control equipment. It means they offer no warranty. Too bad if its broke. But missing and broke are not the same thing. There is also a 'non operational' used car designation. I believe using that designation would fully exempt them from not supplying all the emissions equipment.

Bit as stated before, the only real leverage you have is to get your money back and lose the car. But you could certainly try to negotiate some cash for a used or aftermarket cat.
i can confirm no cel on an 06... i ran one prior to going catless on my last tune
Old 04-25-2019, 11:31 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

I am still pretty certain in many states they MUST have a cat on the car to sell it as a car dealer. I would check that out. This is not a broken radio, it is a federally mandated part.

But I second getting a Berk cat and having an exhaust shop install if you do not feel you can do it. Avoid the dealership on this. $2000 is ridiculous.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

i think about giving up my S all the time. Mostly because I always wanted a 911 turbo and im finally in a position to purchase it. But now that my s2000 is just about done, I lose interest in driving it
Old 04-25-2019, 02:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by outeiroj
i think about giving up my S all the time. Mostly because I always wanted a 911 turbo and im finally in a position to purchase it. But now that my s2000 is just about done, I lose interest in driving it
Ok...

Quick Reply: No catalytic converter