S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

No more Hondas S2000's next year... (?)

Old 03-26-2002, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more Hondas S2000's next year... (?)

I called and talked to a sales rep in Anderson, IN and he said that Acura is going to take over the S2000 (and jack up the price) and they are going to build a new SUV for honda.

This probably a sales gimmick though.

I asked him if it was the official word from Honda and he said "yes".

Anyone hear this too?
Old 03-26-2002, 07:18 AM

Sounds like a blatant lie to me. I'd report that dealer to Honda.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:19 AM

its just sales talk. Nothing like starting a buiness dealer with a lie. Go to another dealer.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:24 AM

Honda does have a new SUV comming out and its called "The Pilot". but he lied about the s2000 going over to Acura.. That would be kinda of stupid.. No more s2000 no more prelude... and the acura already has the nsx, rsx and cl type s...
so they have too many models as it stands.. that would be stupid on Honda's part.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:25 AM

I shouldn't have said "Maybe I'll just order a 2003" when he quoted a 35k price.

It wouldn't make sense and we'd probably hear that by now that acura was taking it over.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Acura dealers only wish Honda had let them distribute the S2000!!!
In fact I know several Acura dealers who are still holding onto the dream that they will get it one day. I suspect however, it will stay a dream. Honda wanted the Honda name on the S2000 because it was a celebration of Honda's 50th Birthday, clearly not a 50th Birthday for Acura.

As nothing more than a concept car rumor, Honda was to get the S2000 and Acura was to get a sports car priced above the RSX. The car was to be a modified S2000 that came in a Coupe version. However, it has been years since I heard this rumor again and I suspect Acura is pleased with the way the RSX is selling and have let the idea slip.

About the only thing you can count on is that Honda and Acura are very successful in keeping their product development plans a secret. And they have every right to do so!!! Otherwise we would have more than just the new BMW Z3 looking like an S2000 clone.
Old 03-26-2002, 08:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much was Triple-H said is right on. The S2000 is a celebration of the 50th anniversary of Honda, Acura is a marketing gimmick, er concept...

As for the rumor about another kind of car based on the S2000, that's highly unlikely. That rumor pops up every so often, but as we learned on our trip to Tokyo last year, there are ZERO plans to base a coupe of the S2000 chassis or to make any other kind of car based on the S2000. There are also no plans to stop production of the car and we were told that it will be made long into the future...the S2000 has been something of a renaissance for Honda and it's been a very positive experience for them. The people that design and build the car have a great deal of passion for it.

Most dealers are weasels and will try to convince you of a lot of crap...this is one story that I can't believe dealers are still trying to pull. Pretty amazing... I wish that Honda dealers were held in greater accountability to AHM...this kind of irresponsible baloney should be unacceptable.

Old 03-26-2002, 09:17 AM

I concur. My friendly Acura guy says they begged for the S. I would ask that "dealer" to back up what he told you with some hard evidence. When he didn't produce, walk walk walk away.

Amazing to me that Honda has such a stellar record with their products & yet dealers will still lie and exaggerate to the extreme for 1 more sale. Most of Honda sells themselves. Alot of salesman (not all) are mere providers of information (which is wrong 50% of the time) and say anything else necessary to make a sale. This of course because there is still "One born every minute".

I've always approached it with I need a very good deal & he needs to make a fair living. Unless my research tells me otherwise. Such as the case with most of us with an S. At the time I bought mine last year MSRP was what was considered a fair deal. My $.02.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:06 AM

Here's what you do...

Write up a contract saying you are buying the car with the understanding that the S2000 will cease production (or be limited to 5000 or will become an Acura) this/next year, and that if said event does not occur, the dealer will refund some amount of the purchase price (i'd like to go for all, but how about the difference between the S2000 and the lowest-priced civic). It will either call his bluff or make a fool of him.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:28 AM

I can't even begin to tell you how much I HATE dealing with car dealers! Every time I take trip into a dealer, I am amazed at how inept, full of B.S., rude, pushy, and just plain annoying they can be. I truly do not understand why this is. A car dealer's job really isn't all that difficult (unless, maybe, if you're selling Daewoos), and I do not see why almost every dealer is so awful at their job.

It really pisses me off to hear a dealership lieing to its customers like this. You should go back and demand to see the information in writing. When the dealership fails to produce even a shread of evidence, walk away and go to another dealership.

Also, when you think about, why would any of this be true? Why would Honda start selling the car as an Acura when it has been sold for 3 years as a Honda? The S2000 was intended to be a showpiece for Honda and its 50th b-day. Why make the change now? Also, why would they stop making it? They sell more S2000's every year. And, the car is built in the same factory as the NSX, which barely sells at all. So, wouldn't it make sense for Honda to continue S2000 production to maximize the production capacity of this factory? Also, the longer they sell the car without siginificant re-engineering, the more profit they can make on their initial developmental investment. So, I have little doubt that we will see the S2000 stick around for quite some time without major changes (look at the NSX's 12-year + production run).

So, go out and find yourself an S2000 for MSRP, or below, from an honest dealership (good luck).

Quick Reply: No more Hondas S2000's next year... (?)