S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Oem hardtop prices has greatly increased for the last 4 years

Old 03-23-2018, 01:18 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreygebhart
I agree. Personally, I'd like to have a hardtop for the car but I refuse to pay $4000+ for one
Me too especially when I just cannot get over the fact how great it is to switch from top down (usual California Sierra driving mode) to top up or reverse in less than 6 seconds. Even at a stop sign or traffic light.
You put the hard top on and you are married to it for a while.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple... Don't pay $4k. Keep the prices down. HAHA
The following users liked this post:
Jah2000 (04-05-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 02:21 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

My bet is that not many tops are actually sold for 4K. I bet most are in the 3K to 3.5K range.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:57 AM

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
My bet is that not many tops are actually sold for 4K. I bet most are in the 3K to 3.5K range.
Can you point me in the direction of most of these tops that are selling for this price? I've been looking, and somehow they seem to be alluding me. It seems the people finding these are the people that want, but don't have and aren't willing to pay for?
Old 04-06-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a thought, but my guess is that the value of having an OEM hardtop (if you're trying to sell the car) is not more than what the car would sell for without the hardtop. Sure, nice to have while you're owning and driving the car, but for me, I would sell the car without it, and then put the hardtop up for sale (at today's prices). The buyer of the car could always pony up the additional to include the hardtop!
Old 04-06-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Coloradocurt
Just a thought, but my guess is that the value of having an OEM hardtop (if you're trying to sell the car) is not more than what the car would sell for without the hardtop. Sure, nice to have while you're owning and driving the car, but for me, I would sell the car without it, and then put the hardtop up for sale (at today's prices). The buyer of the car could always pony up the additional to include the hardtop!
I would say that is very accurate, I see not-so-clean cars with OEM tops selling under 14k in Houston from time to time, these people are losing money.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:24 PM

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

As much as I’d like to see OEM hardtops value go up since I own 3 of them be patient. I picked up one last month for 3k. Had one little scratch and came with all hardware
Old 04-06-2018, 09:06 PM

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mattk20
As much as I’d like to see OEM hardtops value go up since I own 3 of them be patient. I picked up one last month for 3k. Had one little scratch and came with all hardware
Aaaaha! So you're the reason I can't find one of those reasonably priced hardtops? All kidding aside, demographics play a big role. Depending in which state you're located, you can command a higher price. Most people refuse to ship, being they're so damn awkward, and if they do, when you add shipping to the price, it really makes it crazy. That is why people ask and get the prices they are going for. The good thing for people who have them.....there's always going to be be someone who wants one.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:04 AM

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Haha ya I’m getting to be an s2000 horder. I traveled 10 hours to Denver for my top. I had it in my head that no matter what I would be traveling for one. It seems like the bulk I’ve seen for sale are in California or Florida. On a side note I don’t see them going up in much value as of yet. Shelling over 3-4K for a top takes commitment. The majority of people would rather get into a turbo kit, rims, exhaust or other mods. I’m hoping down the road the s2000’s will be in the hands of long term ownership. Not kids that get one for 6 months, rod the crap out of it then get bored with it. I think it’s more our generation of a car. But hey I could be wrong maybe kids in highchool still think it’s cool?
Old 04-08-2018, 02:56 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
You put the hard top on and you are married to it for a while.
I agree. Both S2ks I purchased had oem hardtops. But, its not that I was looking for a hard top. Its just the way it worked out. I did pay a bit more than I would have paid for the cars without hardtops, but not $3K more. Despite the fact that I do like the hardtops - they are very well made, fit well, and the car is quite comfortable with the top on, I hardly every use the things. I sold one. But, I plan the keep the other just because I have the room and who knows, maybe I'll start using it one day. Plus, as I explained to my wife, it is part of my retirement planning. Remember, investment diversity is a good thing.

Quick Reply: Oem hardtop prices has greatly increased for the last 4 years