S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Is it ok to drive S on the snow.? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/ok-drive-s-snow-657663/)

mrs2kny 12-21-2008 06:41 AM

Is it ok to drive S on the snow.?

I recently purchased S2k from my brother and here in NY we had big snow storm few days ago. Currently, I drive Land Rover but I just like to get the feel of S in the snow. Is it all right to drive S in the snow where all the salts on the road??
Does S has undercoating on undercarriage??
thx...for help..

VIS2K 12-21-2008 07:03 AM

They give you a tow hook for a reason :)

I would not even attempt it without winter tires.
Mine got hopelessly stuck on a flat part of road (summer tires) when I had to take it in for service. Had to pull it to clean roads with my truck.

Yes, I know how to drive in snow (did 20 years hard time in Ontario)

When I had snow tires on the S2000, never had any problems. Just make sure your gas tank is always full (free added weight over drive wheels).

Mine has undercoating, but it was installed at the dealer.
If it were me, and I had an other vehicle, I'd just park it. Salt's gonna destroy anything.

Mike

Danknee 12-21-2008 07:38 AM

My s2k is my daily driver and I live in Utah. +1 on snow tires being mandatory. As for the salt, whenever there is a break in the weather I give it a quick wash.

shotgunjimmy 12-21-2008 07:50 AM

i cant give you any advice for driving on snow, but we did recently have some ice on the roads here.
the S did much better than i expected on the ice. we had gotten alot of freezing rain. basically, the ground was like slick sandpaper (if that makes any sense). when the weather first started, the ground was too warm, and the sleet just melted on the road. through the over night hours, the wet roads froze, and as it continued to sleet, the frozen water droplets just stuck to the ground, making a bit of a gritty surface.

i drove about 35 miles or so around town in these conditions. the tires on my S (MY01) are stock size riken raptors (not made for snow/ice). i honestly didnt have any trouble at all. I avoided all hills that i could, but had no trouble going up or down hills i couldnt avoid. i drove slow, never going faster than 25mph, and never got out of third gear. really the only times i slid were when i wanted to slide, and it was actually very easy to recover.

that being said, snow is a different animal (normally easier than ice) but i think without snow tires or chains, it would be pretty hard to get traction with that fluffy white stuff everywhere.

just be careful and take it easy if you do get out on it. if you live close to a big parking lot, get the car over there, (maybe have your brother drive your LR so he can pull you out) and practice driving on snow. at the very least, it would be alot of fun.

rudeS2k 12-21-2008 08:45 AM

i agree, when theres a break in the weather, give it a good spray.
as for driving, be careful..the rear end tends to have a mind of its own.

Mr. Francesco 12-21-2008 08:47 AM

Just be careful.

Snow tires :thumbup:

S2Kage 12-21-2008 10:00 AM

be careful..the rear end tends to have a mind of its own.
Couldnt agree more.

Sabre 12-21-2008 11:04 AM

I've never had the rear end act too unpredictibly. It's gotten out on me, but only because I was giving it too much throttle. Getting off the throttle will usually snap it back in line without much drama.

In other words, driving beyond what conditions dictate. Snow tires are a must as well.

I cant comment to the OP about salt, we use cinder here.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...1bd993846f.png

jeggy 12-21-2008 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by rudeS2k,Dec 21 2008, 09:45 AM
be careful..the rear end tends to have a mind of its own.

the rear end has a mind of it's own as much as your computer has a mind of it's own.

they only do what you tell them to do.

alSpeed2k 12-21-2008 03:56 PM

Only drive in the Snow if you have Snow tires. The compounds on summer tires are not made for cold weather.