S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Out of state car purchase (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/out-state-car-purchase-75516/)

Zoinks 08-06-2002 01:44 PM

Out of state car purchase

A friend of mine received a good quote on a 2003 S2000 today. The dealership is in Ohio and we are in Texas.

Anybody know how the tax stuff works? Just sales tax in Ohio and registration in Texas?

Thanks for any assistance

QT_S2K 08-06-2002 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Zoinks
A friend of mine received a good quote on a 2003 S2000 today. The dealership is in Ohio and we are in Texas.

Anybody know how the tax stuff works? Just sales tax in Ohio and registration in Texas?

Thanks for any assistance

Should only pay Texas taxes (do not pay Ohio taxes) once you have registered your car.. May take days, weeks, months, etc.... but sooner or later they will get the taxes for the S.

enjoy the new ride.

21wS2K 08-06-2002 02:02 PM

Are you going to share with us what dealership, and the price so those of us who may be looking to upgrade can do the same?

--Jim

mlrspwr 08-06-2002 03:06 PM

Taxes owed and the persistence of the tax collectors vary wildly from state to state, in my experience.
You will pay sales tax of the state you officially reside in, not where you bought the car. And the dealer in Ohio may not collect any sales tax from you since you are out of state.
I don't know Texas tax laws, but I know that you pay taxes based on your state of official residence. Hope this helps.

TypeSH 08-06-2002 04:24 PM

One nice thing about Texas is that there are two different levels of taxes. The first is the normal tax (~8%) that you pay when you buy a car in Texas. The second kind is a transfer tax that is much cheaper (<$100). So what you want to do is try to get the out-of-state dealer to assign it a title in that state but not to take the tax money up front. Then take the out of state title down and act as if you are only transferring the title to Texas and save a bundle. This works better on used cars though since they have higher mileage and therefore are more believable as legitimate transfers.

Sky15 08-06-2002 05:26 PM

Are taxes here in Ohio is 5.75%

wickerbill 08-06-2002 05:53 PM

I just recently bought my S2000 in Louisiana and paid no taxes there, but I had to pay all of the taxes in Texas when I registered the car. I don't know for sure what paperwork and stuff was involved since the bank handled it all for me. All I know is that I had to pay the 6.25% tax rate on the S2000, which came to a little over $2000 with all of the other fees added in.

Mark

Kalcium 08-07-2002 06:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TypeSH
[B]One nice thing about Texas is that there are two different levels of taxes. The first is the normal tax (~8%) that you pay when you buy a car in Texas. The second kind is a transfer tax that is much cheaper (<$100).

Zoinks 08-07-2002 07:24 AM

Thanks for all the input. It should help my friend in making her decision.

Originally posted by 21wS2K
Are you going to share with us what dealership, and the price so those of us who may be looking to upgrade can do the same?

--Jim

It's a 2003, Silverstone/Black with both spoilers and side strakes for MSRP. They will deliver the car on a flatbed truck to her door at no charge.

mister_two 08-07-2002 08:09 AM

i bought my S from a NYC dealership but it's registered in NJ. I paid no sales tax at time of purchase. I paid a small fee (like 10 or 20 bucks) to get a 30 day temp plate. With in 30 days I had to register the car in NJ myself with motor vehicles and finally get it inspected at any NJ inspection station. I paid NJ sales tax during the registration process in NJ.