S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Parts Availability as Our Cars Age?

Old 07-23-2016, 01:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parts Availability as Our Cars Age?

Sorry if this has been covered. I've been pondering it lately, and don't recall seeing any posts on the topic.

My '00 is nearing 17 y/o. Won't be long until it's 20.

That makes me wonder, what will the parts supply for our cars look like in the years to come? Will some things become scarce?

Our cars were a niche product for Honda. In comparison to the typical Honda product, there are very few s2000's on the road (that number can/will only decline).

When will the convenience of popping down to my local dealer or ordering from Majestic come to an end? How long does a maker typically offer product support? I had a '93 Toyota 4Runner (got rid of it two years ago) that was sometimes difficult to find certain parts for. If the part was shared across other models, it was typically easy to find. If the part was unique to the 4Runner, it was much more difficult (had to go used or rebuilt). The s2000 was very much a bespoke car for Honda......

Will aftermarket suppliers step up? I have a classic truck ('65), and it's fairly easy to get most of what I need from non-OEM makers. That said, many parts are universal (particularly engine and drive-train). Unfortunately though, some of those parts aren't the best quality (been through 6 blinker switches in the last few years).

One are of concern for me are transmissions. On my regional Facebook group, there are a handful of guys looking for transmissions. How long until the supply dries up? I know a big factor is people wanting to swap an ap2 transmission in their ap1. I know the ap1 transmission is ultimately better, but is anybody rebuilding ap1 transmissions? I know those brass synchros won't last forever.

Maybe it's needless worry, but as of now, I have no plans to part with my s2000. I can't help to wonder what ownership in the future will be like.

Thoughts?
Old 07-23-2016, 04:24 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

For some stuff, rebuilders will step into the void. Like how puddymod has for our diffs. You can get better than stock, or way better than stock.

For others more basic parts, aftermarket will step in.

Recently I needed a clutch release bearing guide, and it was backordered with no expected date at every online dealer and every dealer in my state. Several of the dealers said it looked like Honda was discontinuing the part. Fortunately I eventually found an out of state dealer with the part in stock, but they would not ship. I posted in that areas local forum, and found someone that picked it up and shipped it to me.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup