S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: Picking Up Car From Dealer: Top Down, Extra Miles On Meter... Your Feelings???
File Complaint?
96.25%
Let it slide?
3.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Picking Up Car From Dealer: Top Down, Extra Miles On Meter... Your Feelings???

Old 08-16-2003, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another Bay Area member (I'll let him say who he is) dropped his car off at the dealer that many people around here swear by. What happened? His car was out on a 'test drive' and some how managed to become involved in a collision. Front bumper was smashed. I have heard quite a FEW stories that people have refrained from posting. Sometimes the cars get taken to pick up lunch.

Next time, attach a post it note to the tach with the drop-off mileage. That way they know you are paying attention.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

32 miles! That's a longggggggg drive.
Even 15 miles is exceeding it.

2-5 miles is max!

Edit for additional comments: If any dealer took your car out for an extended drive for "testing" they should definitely tell you IMO.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:03 AM
Former Moderator

Hey Ev, how about an update?
Old 08-16-2003, 12:04 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

You've got to be kidding?! You dont' need a poll to come to a conclusion. Don't blow up at them if you are going to continue to bring your car in there for servicing, just let them know politely that you are aware of the excessive miles and you don't appreciate it. Personally, I'd go to another dealer for servicing just so that I can have the opportunity to run buck wild at the dealership and curse everyone out. And then I would file a complaint. Then i would threaten to sue them for damage to my car unless they gave me free stuff. my 2 cents.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:46 PM

You know, there is aboslutely no need for them to put that many miles on it. I took my Celica in for new Syncros and they only put 3 miles on it for a test drive. It seems to me like they were using it for a "Parts Delivery" car which is what alot of them tend to do. I would definately complain to the manager and let them know that you didnt rent your car out to them to pimp around in.

BTW, I was pissed when I picked up my car and the "tech" put 8 miles on it just for the initial checklist. I was sold a car with 3 miles (or less) and he put over 8, and that made me mad. I dont know how you wouldnt be enraged!!!
Old 08-16-2003, 01:29 PM
pfb

I think a polite, non accusatory but concerned letter to the service manager, with a cc to the owner/gm and district service manager would be the best response, other than just letting it go and not using the shop anymore.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:45 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

My 1985 Accord was totaled during a road test. I refused to let them take our 1995 Accord out for a road test whenever I brought it in for service. I told the person at the write up desk that under no condition is the car to be road tested without me being in it.

I don't know what I'll do when I bring my S into Honda for service. So far I'm doing it myself.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:50 PM

Go back with a can of whoop-ass. Don't forget your can opener.

Somebody needs a spankin'.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:15 AM

wantone, this definitely needs to be protested. i'm with those folks who recommend writing a letter to the service manager, owner/gm, district managers, etc.

this kind of behavior is not be acceptable. at best, it sounds like a salesman took the cute receptionist at the front desk out to lunch... at worst, someone took a naughty joyride in your baby.

sure, a ~3-4 miles or less are within reason for testing the car for most service. and while putting down the top isn't outrageous, though i believe they should leave the top as they found it (unless you left it down and rain threatens) or the top was the suspected service item.
even after having the clutch TSB done on my vehicle, i only found 3 or so miles on the car! and i had dropped the car off w/ the top down and they parked it inside the shop. i returned after the work to find the top still down with the car parked in a corner of the shop. and in my case, the pre-repair test drive was done by me with the mechanic in the car, and the post repair drive was done on my authorization with the service manager in the car!
i guess i'm just lucky in that i have a good service department at my dealer!
Old 08-18-2003, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jyeung528
[B]You've got to be kidding?!

Quick Reply: Picking Up Car From Dealer: Top Down, Extra Miles On Meter... Your Feelings???