S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Please read this - Safety/tires/be careful!

Old 12-13-2000, 05:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a reminder to all to be careful. As much as we rightfully love this incredible car, our lives are a whole lot more important. I have had my car since the first day they went on sale in the US with no problems until my first accident yesterday. I was coming around a bend on a real twisty road and hit what was either a wet spot or black ice (police/insurance opinion). My tires I was planning on replacing this weekend which I am sure was a major contributor. I spun 180 degree and my back end hit the shoulder (where there was a hill and a street sign). The back end will need to be fixed. Although i had my seatbelt on my head hit the top metal brace of the top and I have 4 stitches/staples in my head. Glad to be okay and glad the damage was not much worse and that no one else was involved/hurt. Bottom line: Be careful and replace those tires on the early side and count your blessings and drive safe!

Ted
silver/red 2000 #175
San Ramon, CA
Old 12-13-2000, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles were on your rear tires. I had to replace mine at 3100 miles because I got a flat in one of them (they still had perfect tread, though).
Old 12-13-2000, 05:53 AM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by hype:
How many miles were on your rear tires. I had to replace mine at 3100 miles because I got a flat in one of them (they still had perfect tread, though).
Where was the flat/hole located? If it wasn't on the sidewall then it you should have been able to get it fixed.
Old 12-13-2000, 05:53 AM

There are way too many accidents with this car.

Hope your scalp heals up quickly.

[This message has been edited by SpaceNeedle (edited December 13, 2000).]
Old 12-13-2000, 05:55 AM

Ted, I am so glad that you're OK, man. Sorry to hear about your injuries to yourself and to your car.

I just got my car back yesterday from the shop for repairs stemming from an almost identical incident. I had no body damage but the entire right rear suspension had to go, from the cradle to the caliper. The whole deal cost State Farm $4200 all said and done. The car seems as good as new, but all in all, a very humbling and harrowing experience.

Please watch your tire wear carefully, watch your speed, and pay very close attention to wetness, ice, debris, other drivers, etc. This car is a great handler, but if it's upset, it will spin.

MY shop guy told me yesterday he's seen a couple of others come in for almost identical repairs. He said "I don't what it is about those cars... maybe the tires.. but they sure seem to get loose in a hurry if it's wet."

I hope your head, and your car are as good as new very, very soon. All others friends out there, please be careful. I'd love to see this be the last story like this we hear.

Old 12-13-2000, 06:11 AM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

Glad you are all right. I have firmly resolved not to drive this car aggressively in wet or very cold conditions. Have any suspension mods helped with the handling such as spoon brace, etc. This is scary but I'm glad we have this board as these experiences are sobering and have certainly altered my outlook on the handling of this car. [QUOTE]Originally posted by Hootsama:
[B]Ted, I am so glad that you're OK, man.
Old 12-13-2000, 06:18 AM

Hey men:
Lucky protected you in that accident, hopefully you are ok and ready to learn about how important are the tyres...
I am waiting for my Honda S2000, but while times passed i wear more stories about the car with accidents, hope not to give up the car..
Bye, hope your best
Old 12-13-2000, 06:40 AM

Going slower in the rain is a given, but you really need to watch out for cool temperatures.

The Bridgestone engineers I've talked to suggest anything colder than 43 degress F is a concern for any of their Z or W rated tires. They are simply not designed to stick to the road when it's any colder than that.

I've noticed that when the tires are cold on a 40 < degree night, I can do 180's in a parking lot at will, usually at 10mph or less. And my tires are still pretty new.
Old 12-13-2000, 06:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mikey:
[B]I've noticed that when the tires are cold on a 40 < degree night, I can do 180's in a parking lot at will, usually at 10mph or less.
Old 12-13-2000, 07:49 AM

We all need to be more careful. We're just driving up the insurance rates for each other.

Quick Reply: Please read this - Safety/tires/be careful!