S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Possible new record price for an S2K

Old 11-13-2001, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Lips2000
Now hold on there a minute, comrade...

If I sell something for $1000 more than what I paid, I'm the bad guy? It is incumbent upon the buyer to shop around and find the best deal...it's called capitalism, free market...America.

Mark
I think you are the bad guy if you didn't add any value to the product for your extra $10,000 in profit. That only makes you an opportunistic leech. I don't think anyone is arguing for eliminating free market capitalism, but why shouldn't the price be set by the Honda corporation instead of all these worthless dealerships? When I buy a television, I don't have to worry about a "market adjustment" tacked on to the price. Why should it be any different with an automobile? Most other retail sales markets have done away with these exploitative policies, so why is it a threat to capitalism if the automobile industry follows suit?
Old 11-13-2001, 03:37 PM

Agreed, maybe we should get mad at the car makers themselves for making too much on some cars..
Old 11-13-2001, 03:55 PM

In order to have a legitimate contract, you must first have a "meeting of the minds". If the dealer says, "I'll sell this car for $X, and the buyer agrees, then you have a meeting of the minds.

As long as there are buyers willing to pay the price, dealers will enjoy what might be considered an outrageous profit. Thankfully, as the initial "rarity" and popularity of the S2000 diminish somewhat, so will the markup.
Old 11-13-2001, 04:14 PM

Since I already have my S2k, its easy for me to say that I LOVE to hear about huge dealer markups! It keeps the value of my car high.

And don't blame the dealers for high markups! Prices are set by the buyers.

Go Capitalism!
Old 11-13-2001, 07:29 PM

I, too already have my s2k and I paid MSRP so it doesn't bother me one bit either
Old 11-13-2001, 08:00 PM
Former Moderator

In the tread in OT about the Ferrari FX its qouted as having a waiting list at 110k over MSRP. That's a lot of S2K's

If someone wants something bad enough They will buy it Plain and Simple.

I paid MSRP fro mine, it wouldn't / couldn't be any higher in Canada. Its the first time I've bought anything except for food with out getting a "Deal" I wanted it when it came out, thus was the price to be paid. The few grand I might have saved if I waited is long gone now anyways
Old 11-13-2001, 08:01 PM

It was sold! Need we say more about capitalism....
Black/Black/Black Hardtop/Chrome Rims
Old 11-13-2001, 08:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CBeyond
[B]I think you are the bad guy if you didn't add any value to the product for your extra $10,000 in profit.
Old 11-13-2001, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by tokyo_james
But prices being set by the Manufacturer is just what they are trying to break in the UK, where EVERYONE is overcharged for cars not just those who don't do their homework!!!

I actually think you have a much better system in the States, and you have the option to shop around much more than they do in the UK.

Think yourselves lucky, not unlucky with your system...
If everyone pays the same price for a certain model in the UK, I don't understand how they can say they were overcharged. They can only say that in comparison to car sales in other countries, which are subject to totally different import tariffs, taxes, regulatory requirements, currency exchange rates, etc etc. There are way too many variables to take into consideration. I very much doubt that permitting individual dealers to charge whatever they want in the UK would result in consumers receiving lower prices overall. Likewise, I doubt that the system we have in the US would be so well entrenched if it were not beneficial to the dealers.
Old 11-13-2001, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At my cousins dealership (I won't say which one), they were charging a HUGE premium when they first came out. A lawyer bought two S2000's from his dealer the first month it was out. He bought one for his son and one for his daughter. He bought EACH one for $55,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now he's only charging $5-$6k over MSRP.

Quick Reply: Possible new record price for an S2K