S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Potential Buyer Paint Question

Old 10-18-2018, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Buyer Paint Question

Non-car guy here; so, please keep communication on a basic level. I found an 05 Suzuka Blue for sale. Front spoiler and bumper need a respray due to rock chips and deep scratches. I'm okay with buying the car and having my paint guy respray those, but there is a deep scratch beside a headlight on a fender paint guy says that will require a blend of both fenders and covering them with clear. If I decide to sell this car down the road, could the blending on the fenders hurt the sale or price of the car? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Blue Yonder; 10-18-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:13 PM

Default Would this situation keep you from buying this car? Respray fenders or other options?

Cost to respray front spoiler, bumper and blend fenders is $800. Would that scratch stop you from buying this car? Could the blended fenders influence your decision to buy a car like this in the future? Any other options on the scratch?
Old 10-18-2018, 11:20 PM

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts

This is only one potential buyer's opinion, so here goes:

1) I hope you're excited about your potential purchase! I would be if I was in your shoes.

2) I've never had to respray my car, but I have had blending work done and unfortunately, getting a perfect match is extremely hard. Especially if you tell people where the spot is.

3) General rule is that, ANY paint work is going to lower the value of the car.
The following users liked this post:
Blue Yonder (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 05:10 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Paint work is very VERY dependent upon the shop that does it. My car was in an accident many many years ago, and the owner of the car opted for a full original-color respray. Now, 15 years later, the car looks brand new. I shudder to think of what he paid at the time, but the paint is easily of higher quality than OEM. I've taken it to a few meets and always get compliments on how nice "the original paint looks" from other owners. Your main concern is that the painter doesn't get any overspray on the VIN tags, consider them GOLD. Do NOT get paint on them, and protect them at all costs. I would hazard a guess, that if you get a high-quality pro to paint that car, very few potential buyers would notice it, especially if it never appears on the Carfax.

Tl;DR - Find the absolute BEST paint shop you can. You get what you pay for with paint. Don't be afraid to raise hell if it goes bad. I think it's worth it.
Blue Yonder (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 05:53 AM

Thanks for your input. My concern is resale value dropping due to respraying the fenders.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:55 AM

Good input in the VINs for sure. Also thanks for your comments on the painter. I bought a Miata that had been completely resprayed. Looked great, but had a few clear coat runs on some edges
Old 10-19-2018, 06:00 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

My thoughts: If the car's bumper, front spoiler and scratch had been resprayed would you still be interested in the car? I say fix it to your liking and enjoy the car.
Levi
Blue Yonder (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 06:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How many miles and how many will you add? If it's already over 80K and you're going to drive it a good amount, I wouldn't worry about it.

If it's super low - Sub 20K and you're buying it for it to hold or possibly appreciate, then I'd pass on it.

I feel that if you document the reasons and do a respray, it won't hurt value that much. It's when someone has paint done and can't demonstrate why that things tank - and even then, only on "collector" level examples of the car.
Blue Yonder (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 10:20 AM

Haven't thought of it from that angle. Yes, I would still be interested in the car if those areas had been taken care of or the seller would deduct from the price. Good input. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:23 AM

Not over 80k and not in 20k range.It would be a third car; so, wouldn't add a lot. I put @5k on my Miata each year. I had also thought about documenting with pics and description from the paint shop. Great input. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Potential Buyer Paint Question