S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

"pre-oiler?" Has anyone tried it?

Old 03-16-2003, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "pre-oiler?" Has anyone tried it?

Has anyone installed a "pre-oiling" system; where an electric oil pump will circulate the oil through the motor before you start it. Then the electric pump stops once the mechanical pump is functioning.

Maybe it is possible to install it so that when you turn the key the oil flows...and then you hit the start button and the electric pump stops. Any thoughts?

(By the way I tried a search; I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed yet)
Old 07-17-2018, 07:40 PM

Gosh, I sure feel sorry for you that NO ONE replied. Hey, it only took 15+ years! I am interested in exactly what you posted myself. Looks like I need to go somewhere else to find the answer to your question. I bring back threads from the dead. Not regular dead, but died in the afterlife dead. Lulz. But along with this thread, I want my S to last forever.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:16 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

There are other preoliers that utilize vacuum pressure instead of complications of a electric pump.

My thoughts are there is more risk in something going wrong one day with such a system and it causing a loss of oil pressure, than the risk of several thousand cold starts. Especially for a car that is rarely used in sub freezing weather.

All it takes is one episode of loss of oil pressure to destroy the engine.

Here is something to always keep in mind. Make certain your efforts to prevent a bad outcome don't inadvertently cause it.

This is especially true for a bad outcome that is very unlikely to ever occur. The risk vs reward is not favorable.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:11 PM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
There are other preoliers that utilize vacuum pressure instead of complications of a electric pump.

My thoughts are there is more risk in something going wrong one day with such a system and it causing a loss of oil pressure, than the risk of several thousand cold starts. Especially for a car that is rarely used in sub freezing weather.

All it takes is one episode of loss of oil pressure to destroy the engine.

Here is something to always keep in mind. Make certain your efforts to prevent a bad outcome don't inadvertently cause it.

This is especially true for a bad outcome that is very unlikely to ever occur. The risk vs reward is not favorable.
I agree with this, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Plus on top of that the F-series in the S2k has proven to be extremely robust. Hell, people are supercharging at 200k and not thinking twice about it. Whatever wear is accumulated on cold starts is negligible in the grand scheme of things if you're getting 200k+ out of a motor that's still healthy enough to supercharge. Just keep the oil topped off, don't over-rev and the motor will last far beyond your needs most likely.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:03 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I don't think 90integraGS cares any more. Last Activity: 06-21-2004 11:00 PM

-- Chuck
Old 07-18-2018, 07:35 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

We're replying to goodballa, who is now asking the question...
Old 07-18-2018, 06:44 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

I didn't reply back then because it was before I installed one on my car. I also installed a bypass filter with my prelube pump. I had a thread describing my setup in the "Under The Hood" section but it was deleted years ago. Here is my write-up that I posted on BITOG:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...&Number=762080

Here is my latest UOA:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...i-uoa-1160201/

I currently have 391,000 miles on my car so I'll be doing my next oil change soon. Unfortunately I'm recovering from rotator cuff surgery so my car is parked for a few months. But it still runs great and besides a valve adjustment no engine work has been done. I've had to replace the prelube pump a few times due to leaks and reduced efficiency of the diaphragm pump but otherwise I've never had a problem with this system.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:12 PM

Here's my late reply. Thanks for the answers. Reason I was asking is because I think there could be a great benefit to get something like an Accusump (Like what Car Analogy was mentioning up top). Ironically, yesterday I was talking with the guy I bought my S from and I asked how he was doing on the track with is purpose built S and he said he'd recently lost a motor. Here several months ago he caught on fire due to a improperly installed oil cooler. I saw pictures, it was ugly. Then he got it back on the track and boom, blew up due to oil starvation. He's been getting a lot better and recently started running slicks. I told him about the valve cover mod (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...ation-1133707/) and asked if he considered getting a baffle and catch cans. He said he had a baffle, not sure if he had catch cans. But even with a baffle he still starved the motor. He said he'd run the valve cover mod by his Honda guru. He has a guru! I got you guys, which isn't bad if I was good at picking the gold from the misinformation, and anecdotal evidence. Now I'm not running slicks on the track yet by any means, but with slalom44's results, and the thought of having the prelube function of an Accusump I could see daily driving function, as well as track function for down the road. I try to build as bullet proof as I possibly can. The only thing I need to figure out, I think, is are they practical for a daily. I.e. install, get in and drive without having to remember this or that without fear of blowing it all up. I read somewhere something about at idle there isn't enough pressure to fill the sump so that would introduce too much oil into the system and something about closing a valve or something. Boy it's a blur. Might have read that article late in the evening. I'm just wondering if there are things you have to do like a checklist before every drive. If so the practicality seems lacking for a daily. Imagine forgetting to shut off a valve and blowing something up. If anyone has any experience with an Accusump or similar device and it's practicality for daily driving I would be very interested in what you have to say. Thanks again everyone!
Old 10-08-2018, 10:47 AM

Bingo - its the accusump. 996/997.1 era porsches use it to prevent oil starvation.

When the engine is running, it fills with oil pressurized at the same pressure as the oil system of the car. When the car is shut an electronic valve seals the exit of the accusump.

When the key is switched to ignition the valve opens and the engine oil system is pressurized while the accusump discharges.