S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

RANT: another one slipping away

Old 01-30-2015, 08:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
That's shady of the dealer. I'd take it as a sign that you don't want to do business with them anyway.

Spend some time posting bad reviews (Google, DealerRater, Cars.com, Yelp, etc.). You'll feel better!

I purchased my s on eBay (sight unseen), but didn't have to put anything down, so I could have walked away if I wasn't pleased (it was actually better than expected).

Cast a broad net. Don't hesitate to ask around in the regional sub-forums for someone to check out a potential car for you. In fact, who better to inspect one than an experienced owner. I'd jump at the chance to do that for a potential owner!

Once you get the right car, it will all be worth it. This frustration will quickly melt away.
Thanks Jdrum1. That is reassuring. I will keep that in mind as well.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:20 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

A good S2000 is worth making the drive to purchase. I went more than 500 miles to get mine, so I would expand that search area out.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:52 AM

May have a back up plan in place. There is another car, almost identical but with higher miles, but slightly better price than the one I've been looking at. Only problem is, it's north of Pittsburgh!!

Here is a link: My link

Would love to hear any input in hopes another one doesn't slip by.

Thanks,
Rex
Old 01-31-2015, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks pretty good from the pics!

Ask for detailed pictures of it's flaws. Even a pristine car will see a scratch or two in it's 10 years/75k miles. This will shed some light on the dealer. Anybody that says a car of this age/mileage is 100% perfect is either blind or lying.

I also didn't see any engine or trunk shots. Ask for those, and a shot of the complete driver side seat (the bolster is a common wear point from the driver entering/exiting).

CarFax shows almost it's entire life in Cali. Very little road time in PA; I doubt it's seen salt! I'd still ask for an undercarriage shot (preferably on a lift).

I always advise to also run an AutoCheck. I looked at an SUV once that had a perfectly clean CarFax, but AutoCheck showed it as having a salvaged title from being totaled in a collision. The dealer didn't even know, so they had to pull it from inventory, research it, and eventually filed fraud charges against the previous owner (I had a friend at the dealer, so he kept me informed on the situation). Not saying that one is better than the other (they both probably miss things), but having both is inexpensive peace of mind.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't give up.

I looked for 1 whole year until I pulled the trigger on a 1-owner 28k miles 2001 from North Chicago. Took a 3.5 hour drive to look at the car for the 1st time and drove it back.
Your profile stated you're in Indiana, un-molested S2000 can be quite hard to find over here considering we don't have many of them in Indiana to begin with. Then we've got people who destroyed the car with stupid hellaflush.

If you're in Indiana, try looking our neighboring states. Usually there's some stock s2000 in Illinois or Ohio (And cheaper), typically around 3-4 hour drive.

I still see some stock Ap2 s pop up from time to time in some dealership.

Keep looking, you will eventually find it!
Old 01-31-2015, 12:21 PM

I feel you, man. Been trying to get one for ~6 months now. Every time I find one I like, either the owner won't budge from a ridiculous price and sits on it forever, or it gets scooped up before I can get out there and buy it. :S
Old 01-31-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the car that I ended up purchasing on cars.com on Christmas eve a year ago. It was at a high-end car dealership in Tampa (NPR to be exact) a few hours after it was posted. I immediately called and gave them my card # as a deposit and flew down there the day after Christmas (horrible and expensive time to travel BTW.) The dealer didn't really help me out with getting it inspected or an appointment to get it inspected ahead of time. I suspect it's because he'd have rather sold it to someone else for more than the price that they initially listed it at.

The drive home was 1,860 miles but it was well worth it! It ended up working out pretty well (time off wise) because it was around the holidays. The dealer said that I was lucky to have called him and left a deposit when I did because people had been beating his door down to look at that car (I believe him too; it was in great condition!)
Old 01-31-2015, 01:48 PM

So far, the dealer I am talking with has been great. No online auctions on the side. Getting me more photos I've requested. My brother lives in Pittsburgh as is willing to check the car out. Fingers crossed this may still work out. Will post updates.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:20 PM

be persistent! you'll find something. i was looking for a 5th gen prelude, unmolested, low miles and only wanting to spend 5kish on it. spent 5 months looking. decided to open my horizon to s2k's, just dreaming...

so i spend some time every evening looking on craigslist within 500 miles of me. found a 2000 s2k with 15k on it, completely stock. i thought it was a scam so i did some research. found the owner tried to sell it on ebay. decided to offer it for a little more than highest ebay bid. i sent an email at 1 am, he responded at 9am and i was on my way from northern va to chapel hill nc that afternoon. soooo glad i kept looking.

they're out there man. sometimes it feels like you are searching for a friggin unicorn, lol, but rare occasions of great deals do happen. you just gotta be fast and ready. good luck.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by widowmakings2000
Well, it wasn't meant to be - Suzuka is the ugliest color for Stewie anyway!

Suzuka is the ugliest color:

"Stewie":

OP - good luck!

Quick Reply: RANT: another one slipping away