S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

RANT- Sell or not?

Old 02-20-2019, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RANT- Sell or not?

Not looking for any negative comments or anything, just venting my circumstance to some fellow s2k owners. So for the quick rundown, ive owned my s2k for about a year now and its currently garaged for the winter. I absolutely love the car and learning more about the car kept me occupied for countless hours on deployment. I truly believe that considering the value for what your getting, the s2k is the greatest car one could own.

Now for why I'm considering selling. Last September right before winter, my sister and I bought dogs. I didn't previously see how much of an issue would arise concerning space because I have a Discovery 2 that is the only car I drive during the winter so the s2k never sees salt but I am going to school full time using the veteran benefits and all that. I still have good income but im going to sell the SUV because because having two cars, going to school full-time, and working part time doesn't make much sense. Plus the Discovery model is known for reliability issues but I bought it at an extremely low price.

For a while I was content with only owning the s2k but I have two dogs now so I ever wanted to take the dogs + a friend, that would pretty much be impossible or dangerous. Even if I got past that and took someone else car when I wanted to take the dogs, I run into the issue of living in Nebraska and experiencing real winters. Im not concerned about how the s2k will handle the snow because I live in a city where they plow and I know that the tires make the most difference. What I'm concerned about is driving a classic/ future classic car in the snow and getting salt on it. So far it has never seen snow but I would feel guilty when I could just sell it someone else who will (hopefully) take care of it. If I sold it I would get something that is still fun because I love vehicles in general. Im interested in LandCruisers but thats besides the point. I obviously understand this is my decision but hearing different points of view helps make a better decision. Im an engineering major, not an English major so I apologize for the grammatical crimes I've committed today lol.

Last edited by Chr1s7ian; 02-20-2019 at 03:35 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Paragraphes =)
Old 02-20-2019, 03:35 AM

Received 736 Likes on 390 Posts

Keep your S2K. Buy an AWD Subaru wagon for about $5 as a Winter beater and run it til it dies, then get another one.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:35 AM

Sorry I was trying to get everything all off my mind but I tabbed them out.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:44 AM

In all honesty the Discovery has been amazing so far and I own it but I think I need to keep it down to one car. If I prep the car for the winter, would salt kill it regardless? Ive read before that you can put a zinc based wax coat on the under body during winter to prevent the chemical reaction that causes rust. I might just be pulling shit out of my ass at this point because I really do wanna keep the s2k lol.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:00 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I live in snow country. Personally, I would not run my S in winter. First, the S is a terrible snow/ice car no matter what tires you have. Second, the salt will do damage and significantly reduce the value of the car. My S is very clean underneath and I want to keep it that way.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:34 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

The S2000 does not "handle snow." Not well. Not at all.

My family is all "refugees" from serious snow country (the Snow Belt/Lake Effect regions of Ohio and New York) and 4 of our 5 vehicles are 4WD and 3 of those are Subarus which even with all-season ties almost laugh at snow and hills.

Keep the Land Rover until you can swap it for a more reliable Outback. Keep the S2000 in the garage until Spring.

-- Chuck
Old 02-20-2019, 07:42 AM

Received 49 Likes on 49 Posts

How much longer do you have until you're done with school? Maybe you can just hang on a bit longer until you get a larger income stream?

I think a lot of us have been there, life happening and the S2000 being as single-minded as a fun car as it is. I personally got a sweet $3,700 P-2 Volvo V70 turbo 5-cylinder for all daily and hauling duties. But if I was unable to do that... the S2000 would probably have to go in all honestly. Lots of people do come back to this car and own several in their lifetime, maybe you will be one of those folks?
Old 02-20-2019, 08:21 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Are both cars paid off? If so not sure it makes sense to sell the S2000 as it liking isn't costing you a ton of money each month. Now if one or both cars have payments I can see wanting to get rid of either both or one payment.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:57 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

As someone who has been in a similar situation as you here is what i did. Maybe my experience can help you make a decision.

3 months ago i owned a 2016 BRZ (fully paid off) and a 2017 Ford Focus ST (making payments).
I had two cars because the BRZ was my fun weekend project while the FoST was my daily driver. I did this because i needed the Hatchback as i'm in a band and carrying around gear for shows is what needs to happen. Unfortunetly i was also in a considerable amount of medical debt. The original plan was to sell the BRZ, pay off my debt and drive the FoST as my only car until i could trade it for another BRZ/S2k/BMW. I sold the BRZ and then found this amazing deal on the S2k i currently drive. After talking to my band mates and them being ok with me not having a practical car, i decided to jump on the S2k which is now my daily driver.

As someone mentioned, which of the cars are paid off? If the S2k is paid off i would recommend keeping it. Maybe your fear is that you will never drive the S2k again due to the dogs? I can understand that, I will say one thing. If you say you love the S2k now and then you sell it. You will want another one. SO badly. This S2k is the second one ive owned. I had to sell my first one for financial reasons. Its the only car i;ve ever owned where every single time i saw one, i'd mutter "goddamn i want another S2k". As much as i loved my BRZ, i dont miss it as much as i missed the S2k.

Quick Reply: RANT- Sell or not?