S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Removing the boot cover - a solution. (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/removing-boot-cover-solution-881488/)

LV2DRV 07-09-2011 10:03 AM

Removing the boot cover - a solution.

Please forgive me if this has already been suggested. I am new to the forum and to the S2000.

I have a 2000 model, and the boot cover is a bear to remove. The little buttons that you have to pull straight back are near impossible, since cramming my hand over the roof and down to the button bends the boot cover up and puts tension on the snap.

My solution is pretty simple. I took plastic wire ties (the smallest zip type I could find) and made a loop, not around the button yet. Then, I tied a loop in a line through the zip tie loop. After that, I slipped the zip tie loop over the button on the cover and pulled it so that it is not too tight on the button, but will not slip off. I used one line, so that the ends are tied to the zip ties on the two center buttons (since those are the two that are hardest to get to. I just tuck the line into the top, under the cover.

Now, when I need to take off the cover, I can just pull on the line, without cramming my hand up to the buttons, and the snaps just pop off.

Again, if somebody has this already suggested, or if there is a better way to do it, I am open for ideas.

HS2K.RLS 07-09-2011 10:42 AM

Pictures would be of assistance. Tks

Originally Posted by LV2DRV (Post 20762850)
Please forgive me if this has already been suggested. I am new to the forum and to the S2000.

I have a 2000 model, and the boot cover is a bear to remove. The little buttons that you have to pull straight back are near impossible, since cramming my hand over the roof and down to the button bends the boot cover up and puts tension on the snap.

My solution is pretty simple. I took plastic wire ties (the smallest zip type I could find) and made a loop, not around the button yet. Then, I tied a loop in a line through the zip tie loop. After that, I slipped the zip tie loop over the button on the cover and pulled it so that it is not too tight on the button, but will not slip off. I used one line, so that the ends are tied to the zip ties on the two center buttons (since those are the two that are hardest to get to. I just tuck the line into the top, under the cover.

Now, when I need to take off the cover, I can just pull on the line, without cramming my hand up to the buttons, and the snaps just pop off.

Again, if somebody has this already suggested, or if there is a better way to do it, I am open for ideas.

21337R 07-09-2011 10:35 PM

The easiest way to remove it is to throw the stupid ****ing thing into the garbage can. :tipwink:

emac0408 07-10-2011 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by 21337R (Post 20763934)
The easiest way to remove it is to throw the stupid ****ing thing into the garbage can. :tipwink:

Yep, Honda should be ashamed of that thing.

The zip ties are a great idea though! :thumbup:

TheSteel 07-10-2011 08:09 AM

Yeah I don't know of anyone whose ever used the thing. Even when I bought mine it had never been taken out of the plastic, and it still lays in the plastic in my garage.

jelliotlevy 07-11-2011 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by TheSteel (Post 20764485)
Yeah I don't know of anyone whose ever used the thing. Even when I bought mine it had never been taken out of the plastic, and it still lays in the plastic in my garage.

Yep, yours and 50,000 others. At roughly 10 pounds apiece, that amounts to 250 tons of useless plastic. How many garbage truck loads is that?

steven975 07-11-2011 04:42 PM

I wonder if Honda has sold replacements at their $800 asking price :smelly: