S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Replacing your convertible top with a Robbins Top

Old 07-03-2014, 04:16 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by NSXCessive
Just picked up Robbins Stayfast 2540 from topsonline.com for my '04 AP2 they sent out the top with no instructions does anyone have a copy of them?

Not too sure if its even required for an '02+ model, or just limited to '00-01 glass conversions?

I also got 2 piece jiffy rivets in the package not same as what guys posted here, guess I'll have to find a tool to compress them.

I got 2 x shorter piece of nylon straps maybe 6 inchs long where do these go?
Why don't you just call topsonline and ask them to email you a PDF of the instructions? They are in California so they are probably still in the office right now. In fact, this is from their web site:

Contact Us

Business hours:

Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 6:00 PM pacific standard time (California).
Contact information:

Toll Free:
1-888-803-8505
Local:
1-818-786-2474
Fax:
1-818-786-3187

Of course tomorrow being July 4 and a national holiday, they won't be there then. So call them now before they take off and fire up the BBQ grill.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by NSXCessive' timestamp='1404422603' post='23229448
Just picked up Robbins Stayfast 2540 from topsonline.com for my '04 AP2 they sent out the top with no instructions does anyone have a copy of them?

Not too sure if its even required for an '02+ model, or just limited to '00-01 glass conversions?

I also got 2 piece jiffy rivets in the package not same as what guys posted here, guess I'll have to find a tool to compress them.

I got 2 x shorter piece of nylon straps maybe 6 inchs long where do these go?
Why don't you just call topsonline and ask them to email you a PDF of the instructions? They are in California so they are probably still in the office right now. In fact, this is from their web site:

Contact Us

Business hours:

Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 6:00 PM pacific standard time (California).
Contact information:

Toll Free:
1-888-803-8505
Local:
1-818-786-2474
Fax:
1-818-786-3187

Of course tomorrow being July 4 and a national holiday, they won't be there then. So call them now before they take off and fire up the BBQ grill.
Thanks, I just sent them an Email regarding lets see what the response is?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian_2K
So I'm almost done my glass top upgrade, but I can't manage to get those bottom corner flaps in place. The top is too tight and won't pull down enough to even squeeze it over the corner completely let alone fiddle with the screws...

Any ideas? I'm almost tempted to cut the damn corners off but I know that's a bad idea.
That was the only part of installation I needed a second set of hands for. I had my brother in law hold, and pull into place, while I installed the screw on either side.

I installed the Robbins canvas cloth top, which is an upgrade over the standard pvc/vinyl that comes OEM with the s2000. Its been on the car for over a year and a half and looks amazing. I highly recommend the canvas cloth over the pvc/vinyl in terms of looks, and quality.

I also did the non heated glass window upgrade for the 00-01 model. I highly recommend the glass window, I do love the look of the plastic. But the visibility with glass is just to good to pass up.

The canvas cloth can catch some hair and lint, but whenever I wash the car I vacuum the top off. So no problem at all.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I will be following this DIY and another one very soon when installing my new top.

Has anyone in Maryland DC or Virginia done this before?

Your help would be appreciated.

GREAT WRITE UP!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:42 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by spammer66
Originally Posted by spammer66' timestamp='1347554679' post='22009170
Anyone know why the new top requires the 3rd bow to be inside of the velcro sleeve instead of outside. Is it a difference of an OEM vs aftermarket top? I recall my 3rd bar to be outside the sleeve and now based on this post and the pdf version it shows the 3rd bar inside the sleeve.

How I remember my top rear bow setup

Recommended rear bow setup

This is a pic from the PDF link of the rear bow
I was able to answer my own question after 3 attempts. My memory was correct. On a 2003 model with the glass, the 3rd bow will need to be exposed and not be inside the velcro sleeve. If the 3rd bow is inside the sleeve, the top of the glass will rub and rest on the roll bar. The top was also not streching properly and would not close until I corrected the bow to rest outside the sleeve. I would not have been able to complete this install without this post, so my thanks to the OP and everyone who has contributed.
I am installing a Robbins glass/stayfast top on my '06 (today is 7/24/14)and I have a tight top that needs to be forced/soaked in sun light in order to close; glass seems to drag on back of console during test closing (package shelf not yet installed). However, the sleeve is not restricting movement of the 3rd bow. Glass does not touch roll bar when top is in up position. The '06 OEM straps keep the bow in position with more clearance within the sleeve than will be needed to close the top. I plan to complete installation, soak in sun to achieve latching of top. Will report my out come when installation is completed.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Follow up to my install of Robbins stayfast with glass on my '06. I left the 3rd bow inside of the velcro'd sleeve; parked the car in the direct sun for 1.5 hours. By pulling, pushing and using the top motors, I was able to engage the top latches, but without closing the latches. After another 1.5 hours in the sun, I was able to pull from the inside and use the top motors to close the top enough to close the latches and secure the top in a fully closed position. I'm done. Car will wear a closed top for 2 weeks before I crack it open.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:24 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by Wannabes2k2k11
Originally Posted by Canadian_2K' timestamp='1402893439' post='23204642
So I'm almost done my glass top upgrade, but I can't manage to get those bottom corner flaps in place. The top is too tight and won't pull down enough to even squeeze it over the corner completely let alone fiddle with the screws...

Any ideas? I'm almost tempted to cut the damn corners off but I know that's a bad idea.
That was the only part of installation I needed a second set of hands for. I had my brother in law hold, and pull into place, while I installed the screw on either side.

I installed the Robbins canvas cloth top, which is an upgrade over the standard pvc/vinyl that comes OEM with the s2000. Its been on the car for over a year and a half and looks amazing. I highly recommend the canvas cloth over the pvc/vinyl in terms of looks, and quality.

I also did the non heated glass window upgrade for the 00-01 model. I highly recommend the glass window, I do love the look of the plastic. But the visibility with glass is just to good to pass up.

The canvas cloth can catch some hair and lint, but whenever I wash the car I vacuum the top off. So no problem at all.
Any difference in sound attenuation?
Old 07-28-2014, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished my new top install today. People aren't kidding about the new top being "tight". I assumed that the motors would get the latch to within a half of an inch or so, then I would push down with some force and engage the latch. Well, after I raised the new top with the motors the first time, I probably had about 2+ inches to go. Even with a second person and using a good bit of force, I can't get it latched yet (about 1/4 inch away now). I could probably get it latched but I am a little concerned about using too much force. The temperature here is probably only in the mid 70's and I haven't had a good chance to let it sit out in the sun. I'll get it eventually. It just isn't as easy as I thought it was going to be.

Overall, I wouldn't use the word "difficult" to describe the soft top install, it is just something that requires a good deal of time and patience. One thing that worked against me was the fact that I disassembled the car and then waited almost 5 weeks to put it back together (traveling for work, vacation, etc.). If I were to install another top I could probably do it in half of the time this one took me but I'd still be nowhere near as fast as some of the experts on here.

I purchased the fabric top. I'm very happy with the looks of it. How much work it will be to keep it clean remains to be seen. I have to get it latched first
Old 07-28-2014, 11:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am just curious. I have always loved the blue soft top on the S2000 Type S http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLs6f6TKa0

Shop 1

Shop 2

Is this the place to order a blue one? My OEM top is still close to top condition but in case I want a nice change...I have tan interior and I think it would look splendid with a blue top.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:10 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For anyone working with a newly-installed top that is very tight/difficult to latch, I will say that my shop recommended I leave it closed for 3 weeks (and 2 weeks minimum when I asked if there was any wiggle room) to allow it to stretch out.

I let it go for about 2.5 weeks as I recall, and even then for the next 2 months it was rough getting it to latch. The latches would be a good 2-3 inches away from the frame by the time the motor stopped. After a couple of months it had been latched/unlatched/exposed to sunlight enough that it was back to its old normal self--very easy to open and close now.

I was definitely surprised at how long it took to get back to normal though.

Quick Reply: Replacing your convertible top with a Robbins Top