S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Replacing your convertible top with a Robbins Top

Old 08-28-2017, 08:01 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Derek,

Re: "The material covered piece (with plastic backing) just doesn't want to go in " Can you be more specific? Maybe post a picture?

Rob
Old 08-28-2017, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rob

I eventually got the piece in - took a lot more manhandling than I thought but was able to coax the piece in the right place. I was initially worried about tearing the fabric or a seam with all the pulling...after several hours of messing with it that concern went out the window!

Derek
Old 08-29-2017, 06:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to hear you got it sorted!
The job is a PITA but is sure feels good to get it done.
Check out my tip from above to get the top latched for the first time....
Old 09-10-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone know what this black plate is? or what it's attached to? Accidentally took out one of its bolts during roll hoop removal, and now can't get it to align.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by igorien2k
Anyone know what this black plate is? or what it's attached to? Accidentally took out one of its bolts during roll hoop removal, and now can't get it to align.

Thats the softtop motor assembly plate. Try moving the top up or down to see if you can line it up again. I replaced my softtop frame and this was the hardest step.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:31 AM

As a note to others trying to do this install - when unbolting the roll hoops, don't confuse this plate with the mounting points for the roll hoops. From the trunk this plate looks like it's part of the roll hoops. You'll have to take a lot more of the car apart and spend a lot of time prying at this plate to get it back into place later.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

howdy guys!,

Is this thread still the go to thread for replacing our s2k tops? Mine is an 05, and it will soon need a new top as I have a wear hole right where they usually appear. I'm "assuming" this is the original top?? although the car is after all 12 years old....

Is Robbins "THE VENDOR" to work with ? and can you help me confirm from their website , is the item# 2540 the right top for my 05?
thanks....
Old 01-15-2018, 10:13 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Just finishing up a DIY Robbins install that's kicked my ass.

Is it normal for there to be this hole near the driver/passenger door handles? Looks like it's snagging on something, but I can't see what. Can't even get my finger back there on the inside and this was not in the video/instructions from TopsOnline (I rewatched 5x).

I haven't fully closed or latched the top yet for fear of this breaking something...

Does this part look wrong?

My suspicions are I did this part wrong, but the screw/holes lined up and the video said "capture the soft top material and screw in"

EDIT, Here's the fix for future reference:

Old 06-15-2018, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bows Stuck Together?

Hi, I'm in the midst of this project and unfortunately it's taking way longer than hoped or expected. I think I've mostly reattached things properly (convertible top is back on the car, getting the rain gutter reinstalled, etc. I've noticed that the middle and rear bows are basically stuck together (the rear bow is prevented by the tight cloth from folding back into place). This is causing the rear window to droop. Is this a matter of just having the cloth stretch out to allow the rear bow to stretch back, or have I done something wrong?
Old 09-24-2018, 12:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello everyone, I am new to the S2k world. I bought an 2003 Berlina black and it has its oem soft top. I need to replace it. Robbins seems to be THE one to get. I would like to know where I can buy this kit and get it shipped to canada / quebec ? Or is it easier to buy and OEM one?

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Replacing your convertible top with a Robbins Top