S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Report on RedLine tranny fluid, huge praise and recommendation to all owners.

Old 02-20-2001, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Report on RedLine tranny fluid, huge praise and recommendation to all owners.

Hi gang.
I am so excited to report to you about RedLine MT-90(?) manual transmission fluid!
Today I changed out the lubes in tranny and differential oil(which all are Honda's) to RedLine's
I heard many good things about RedLine lubes but today was the first time I get to try them out and I can't believe how awesome it is.
First of all, why am I so excited?
I can't believe how smooth my transmission has gotten, shifting was never this smooth and it feels like I just received a brand new tranny, as matter of fact it felt never this smooth before(I mean extra buttery smooth).
I can finally shift to any gears in nano second(I wish I can demonstrate by recording my shifting action but believe me). I play with the shifter so much because it feels so good, no more clunking or self induced grind.
Ok I will control myself from creaming.
Anyway, if you feel like your shifter can be smoother, try RedLine's. You will need two bottles(a qt each) but get extra bottle because you never know.
Changing out the tranny oil is even easier than the engine oil provided that you have the right tools.
I am a very visual type of guy so I took some pictures of RedLine lube but sadly I left the camera at the shop as well as my invoice of how much the lube cost.
This is rare occasion that Honda stuff can't be the best for your car. Sure it is right and good enough but you will change your mind when you try RedLine Tranny lube.
You don't have to take my word but someone can surely try.
It doesn't hurt to try would it?
Later I will post how much the lube cost as well as couple of pictures.
Until then, laters, I have to go inside the car and play more with the shifter.
Old 02-20-2001, 07:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try it when my car comes out of hibernation. I was planning on changing it after reading the posts of the sludge that comes out, after little miles.
Thanks for the tip.

P.S. Off the cuff, was it very expensive? Ballpark would do
Old 02-20-2001, 07:45 PM

1RandyC is Redline available in stores?? Sounds like I am going to do the same thing.....can't hurt!
Old 02-20-2001, 07:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I put Redline in my tranny and diff about 3 weeks ago, just before a track event. I can't testify that I've noticed the difference that Randy has but mine worked pretty well before. I paid about $9.50/quart. As Randy said it can't hurt and I do like the color .
Old 02-20-2001, 08:31 PM

Just found this site: http://asap.homeownersmall.com/RedLine/mis...isc-lubes.html; charges $8 per qt. MTL probably the one to use in S2K tranny.
Old 02-20-2001, 08:41 PM

Must be something in the air. I just swapped out my differential fluid with Valvoline synthetic GL5 hypoid gear oil, and the engine oil with Honda (mobil) 10W30.

10,000 miles on the nose. 4th oil change.

2x6spds

Berlina black/black 2000, S2000
Spoon lower front x brace
Spoon rear lower cross brace
2x6spds head rest inserts
Rick Hessel boot and console cover
Voodoo elemental Titanium shift ball
MG Racing brushed aluminum trim pieces
velcro all over the place

waiting for Mingster's JR air filter.

Later in 2001, Comptech Supercharger.
Old 02-20-2001, 08:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spectre
[B]1RandyC is Redline available in stores??
Old 02-20-2001, 08:45 PM

The manual transmission fluid is the one fluid that Honda specifically states that their product must be used. They don't specify this requirement for motor oil, differential fluid, or brake fluid. I'm not going to take the chance and use another brand when they are emphatic about it.
Old 02-20-2001, 09:03 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Honda also says that use can use Motor Oil as a temporary replacement for their tranny fluid. Therefore, I would assume that it's not TOO special.
Old 02-20-2001, 09:18 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Back in the early days of the 1-2 grind (before Honda TSB and it was my lack of driving skill ) I was going to try some Redline (ran it in a '94 Miata with great results) in the S2000 but was told specifically not to by more than one BB member.
This was back on h-a.net and I can't remember who or why. Tried to do a search, but you know how that goes, h-a.net and all.
Does anybody remember the reasoning?
Or are any of those with the reasons still here?
All I know is it made a huge difference in both the MX-5 and 325is transmissions!

Quick Reply: Report on RedLine tranny fluid, huge praise and recommendation to all owners.