S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Roadster at night = Eye level with ~90% of headlights!

Old 09-12-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oncoming: Wear yellow lens glasses
behind: Get spoon mirror inserts for both rearview and side.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

DRLs produce little to no benefits. https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/811029
There is no national requirement that vehicles be equipped with DRLs and many manufacturers include them as an optional item (can be switched off).
Thank you. That was news to me. I recall the mandate to put in third brake lights years ago.

I found this report from 2010 that indicated DRL lightw were significant in reducing auto accidents. Several countries around the world mandate them now.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2850978/

Last edited by AZS2KDancer; 09-17-2017 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Found new information.
The following users liked this post:
HarryD (09-17-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 03:20 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Dueling studies are common. Since there's no liability in DRLs I've chosen to have them on all my vehicles.

As noted they're not activated on many (most?) Fords but can be turned on by the dealer or directly accessing the car's computer with some free Forscan software. Way off subject but dozens of changes can be made to Fords via the computer including how many flashes the turn signals produce when the stalk is just tapped (lane changes), seat belt warning chimes, interior lights, etc.

-- Chuck
Old 09-19-2017, 11:48 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

1. Buy used auto-dimming mirror + harness plug from eBay for $35
2. Build a harness (or get your nerdy friend to do the soldering part for you) with standard ~20AWG wire and spade quick connectors for $20
3. Run your harness through the windshield trim down to the fuse box and hook it up to the blades for constant and switched power, connect to ground
4. Ask an auto glass tech to put the new mirror mount on your windshield for $10
5. Enjoy
Old 09-19-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
This really doesn't bother me too much - but I live in a rural area. The bigger problem for me is oncoming traffic flashing me to lower my lights at times when all i have on is my low beams. I've lowered the aim on my lights - but it still happens every now and then.
The reason they do this is that S2000 lights tend to "flicker" when the car goes over bumps. Basically, they see the dim/bright cycle of moving a projector beam up and down quickly (because of the car's stiff suspension and reaction over bumps). They think you're flashing your beams at them.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by panda25
Oncoming: Wear yellow lens glasses
behind: Get spoon mirror inserts for both rearview and side.

Wouldn't the yellow glasses just work in both cases? Either way, the light is being shined into your eyes.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:50 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm an optometrist, so I'll give you guys the straight scoop on this.

There are three areas to consider. Your eyes, your car, and the oncoming headlights.

First, no lens you put in front of your eyes in terms of non-Rx glasses will help at night. ANY lens will simply increase diffusion, defraction, refraction, glare and make things worse.

The only lens that will help is if you need prescription glasses. Many people have small refractive errors that they don't really notice or choose not to wear correction for. If you are slightly myopic or have a small amount of astigmatism, this will increase the "glare" from headlights. So, wearing this small prescription may help slightly. This is the same advice for those who's prescription may have changed slightly, but have not updated their Rx. However, if you glasses are scratched, dirty or do not have an antireflection coating, the benefits may be negated. Any lens in front of your eye will cause reflections in the surface when a light source hits them. An antireflection coating will eliminate those reflections. Highly advisable for any glasses worn at night. Plus, the coating makes the glasses cosmetically more attractive.

This extends to your windshield as well. The S2k windshield is fairly upright and close to the ground. In addition, the aerodynamics of the car do not lend themselves to forcing road debris over the top of the car. Instead, it hits the windshield and pits it. This pitting will greatly increase "glare" by diffusion and reflection. Replacing it is the only option. Any product that claims to remove pits will also hurt the optics in other ways.

Given all this, the fact is our cars are lower than most and if the OP has lowered his car it makes it even worse. Considering how low the car is, the driver being shorter will even increase the problem.

Today's headlights are much brighter than in the old days. The days before HID and LED. So, if they are shining in your eyes, the problem will be far worse than in the past. In addition, some manufactures make headlights with very well defined beam patterns {ours and the Acura TL (4th gen) are considered the best in the world}. But most manufactures beam patterns are terrible, they throw light in all different directions. Next time you are on the freeway with a wall to your side, look how well defined and sharp the cutoff is for your car. Then, look at other cars and how they'll throw light up the side of the wall.

Also consider that many, many, many cars have headlights that are not aimed properly. Any accident, bump to a bumper or just time will through them off. Again, in the old days, many states had inspections that took place on a regular basis to check this. Not anymore though.

Also consider the "color temperature" of the headlight. Bluer lights equal more glare. Probably the worst combination of all this is many late model Dodge and Toyota trunks who have super bright, super blue and super poor beam patterns where it literally seems like the sun is shining in your eyes.

As an aside, the S2k owners do get a lot of people flashing their lights at us as if we have our brights on. This is because of our sharp beam pattern cutoff. As our car bounces up and down, especially if you have not aimed your headlights in a while, the cutoff will flash in their eyes. This is the flickering or color change people comment on. Some times people mistake this for us flashing our lights at them, and flash back at us.

Any questions?
The following 2 users liked this post by davidc1:
EffWun (04-12-2019), Fokker (09-25-2017)