S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Roadster at night = Eye level with ~90% of headlights! (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/roadster-night-%3D-eye-level-%7E90%25-headlights-1177455/)

EffWun 09-10-2017 08:51 PM

Roadster at night = Eye level with ~90% of headlights!

I'm sure many of us with roadsters, lowered, or slammed cars may have same or similar problems. That being 90% of vehicles on the road at night have their headlights shredding your eyes/cones/rods a new ****ing hole (or maybe only affects my bad eyes, opting for cybernetic eyes when possible in the future.) I've been flipping sun glasses on when needed or at stoplights to not get eye ****ed for the past 10+ odd years and finally has come to the thought that if proper night driving glasses exist; PREFERABLY that fit over already large prescription sunglasses.

Amazon has some yellow giant goggle types that appear to may do the trick but I don't know if it's color/coating/properties or a combination of anything that makes it proper to use at night.

Thanks lmk

Chibo 09-11-2017 08:12 AM

Aim your mirrors down.

HarryD 09-11-2017 08:24 AM

I usually flip the mirror tab down when stopped. Would an auto-dimming mirror help here?

deception9 09-11-2017 08:54 AM

for the rear a hard top with a tinted window does a lot to help. for soft top people, a taller, tinted windscreen from J's S2k is helpful.

for the front, i just dont focus on any one elses head lights. tinted windshield maybe?

MrFunk 09-11-2017 09:57 AM

IIf on-coming headlights are bothering you then you make have a pitted windshield or dirty windshield. Your eyes may also be going bad - may want to look into glasses? Those "motorcycle" goggles I find make it worst. When I ride at night I wear clear goggles vs those yellow tinted ones which actually seem to magnify glare. If you are bothered by lights behind you then you can tint your side mirrors and flip your rear mirror to reduce the glare (obviously). All my cars are low compared to the soccer moms of the road in their SUV's or all the jacked up SUV's of the mid-west with their illegal HID kits which blind not only me I'm sure.

balkolite 09-11-2017 12:08 PM

Yup, thought I was the only one dealing with this. I usually just flip my rear view mirror down at lights when its unbearable, or look on the right side of the road, when on-coming traffic is blinding me with eye level lights, or annoying HID's without proper projectors.

jeffreygebhart 09-11-2017 12:54 PM

I find this to be a problem whenever I drive any of my cars, including my daily driver Ford Fusion. Trucks and SUV's are the worst, although anything with HID lights isn't much better. Wearing sunglasses or tinting your windows is a bad idea, lest you have some kid in dark-colored clothing walk in front of you on the street at night. Most deer or other animals don't wear high-reflective clothing either, so you need to be able to see objects that are faint. About all that you can do is adjust your mirrors and hope(!) that your local police department decides to cite people who illegally install HID lights on their non-HID light cars.

Fokker 09-11-2017 01:34 PM

This is only ever a problem for me with significantly lifted vehicles or trucks/suvs coupled with road elevation changes. Otherwise, I'm not really bothered.

Chuck S 09-11-2017 02:33 PM

I've not noticed this at all with on coming traffic -- not that this helps anyone. :)

Or are we only talking about traffic behind? Automatic dimming was OEM on my S2000 so nothing annoying from there.

-- Chuck

rpg51 09-11-2017 03:55 PM

This really doesn't bother me too much - but I live in a rural area. The bigger problem for me is oncoming traffic flashing me to lower my lights at times when all i have on is my low beams. I've lowered the aim on my lights - but it still happens every now and then.