S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Running the S with lowering springs in the winter? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/running-s-lowering-springs-winter-642759/)

mikekl1 10-23-2008 04:34 PM

Running the S with lowering springs in the winter?

Just bought my 2000 GPW hardtop. I am planning on driving it throughout the winter with a brand new set of WS-60 Blizzak's on the factory wheels. My only problem is the car is lowered on Espliers. Has anyone drove though a Northeast Ohio Winter or anyother winter lowered on Snow tires? I still have the factory springs but I really don't want to put this thing back to factory. Any info will help!!

NDAZONE 10-23-2008 06:28 PM

I see why no one has commented yet...
What kind of information are you looking for? How much snow you will be able to plow with your setup? :stick:

mikekl1 10-23-2008 06:52 PM

I am asking has anyone done it....I will not plow snow seeing I only drive the main roads where there might be an inch at most. I am just asking if anyone has done it and how it worked out? Does the lowered stance affect the grip in the snow?

luder_5555 10-23-2008 07:00 PM

as long as it is not up to the bumper, i don't see how it would be any better or worse than regular, just don't try to plow

aDoG 10-23-2008 07:40 PM

Just keep it tucked in the garage and get another car dont risk the S lol I wouldent if i had one :(

common reactor 10-23-2008 07:46 PM

Don't drive this car in the snow. For the winter, mine was lowered about an inch and it was fine...but I didn't dare try in the snow.

Neutered Sputniks 10-23-2008 07:51 PM

I drove mine in the snow last year. As long as you remember that it's low and rwd and take it easy, you'll be fine.

s2kVTAK 10-23-2008 08:43 PM

i like in tulsa oklahoma and plan on driving mine all winter so hopefully its not too bad. i have heard it can get scary expecially since i got an ap1 but its all i got so we will see how it works

Neutered Sputniks 10-23-2008 08:48 PM

Definitely need winter tires on the S. Summer tires are completely bricks when it's below 70F.

common reactor 10-23-2008 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Oct 23 2008, 08:48 PM
Definitely need winter tires on the S. Summer tires are completely bricks when it's below 70F.

70F? I hope you didn't mean that...

Neutered Sputniks 10-23-2008 09:24 PM

[QUOTE=common reactor,Oct 24 2008, 01:09 AM] 70F?

mikekl1 10-24-2008 05:54 AM

So as long as I have enough clearence then ill be fine? I just wanted to make sure the springs wouldn't throw off the grip of the snow tires or something?

vtec9 10-24-2008 06:22 AM

I was lowered on Espliers last winter, and I drove mine in the snow many times on Michelin X-Ice tires.. I was fine, and you should be too.

summer tires really start to lose grip below 40*. It was 28* this morning, and I drove the S to work anyway. I didn't fly off the highway and kill myself, so a lot of the warnings are slightly over stated. Just take it easy in the cold on summers.. don't push it at all. But if you're going in the snow, you must must must have snows.

D Loke 10-24-2008 07:12 AM

Shoot I planned on being slammed, and yes I'll drive it all winter long. :)

dparm 10-24-2008 07:39 AM

Just remember that a car that rotates more quickly will tend to do worse in the snow. Drive slow and you'll be fine.

neuronbob 10-24-2008 07:26 PM

Mike: I'm in NE Ohio as well. While I don't plan to drive my S in snow, I've driven three lowered cars in winter weather and my current daily driver RL is lowered. Just drive judiciously and you'll be fine. On the S, (aka very light RWD car), snow tires are a must.

tudernos 10-24-2008 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by D Loke,Oct 24 2008, 11:12 AM
Shoot I planned on being slammed, and yes I'll drive it all winter long. :)

ditto! :D

mikekl1 10-26-2008 12:10 AM

NEURONBOB....What part of Cleveland you in? Im in Geauga County

TookayS2K 10-26-2008 12:18 AM

I had your same exact setup last winter with NO winter tires and I'm from Columbus. I'm sure you'll be fine with winter tires... Just be smart about it and don't go driving around in a blizzard.

I just had all-seasons and I made it through ok.. I only got stuck two times where I needed to call for help. That was when it was 3"+ of snow. Here in columbus, they do a pretty good job of clearing the snow out. This winter, I'll be driving my beater more since I'm now slammed with coilovers. I already have trouble getting around in the dry. =)

Sabre 10-26-2008 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Oct 23 2008, 09:24 PM
Summer tires are rated for use >50F. But, then, it also depends on the summer tires when they really start turning to bricks. Maybe it was just my GS-D3's, but they were crap below 65-70.

So maybe edit my previous statement to:

Summer tires are bricks below 50F, and not much use starting at 60. My limit is 70, usually that makes nights 50-60 (and I work nights).

When was the last time you drove on a tire for more than a minute or two where the tire temp was <50F?

I drive T1-Rs in 20-30F air temps perfectly fine. I'm not trying to drift corners or set any speed records though but there has never been a moment where I've felt they were bricks. I don't know what they're officially rated for off the top of my head, but if you don't drive like a moron, you should have absolutely no trouble.

I'm also not lowered so it doesn't particularly fit with the OP's question but I've driven ES100s on 1/4" of new snow and was able to get the 5 miles to a tire center to swap to my winters. It was VERY careful and easy driving though.

With the winter tires I've driven through 5-6" of new powder just fine and plowed through it. I drive over the mountain passes with packed snow/ice and have never had a problem.

Look at how many owners in Canada drive it daily through crazy winters.

I don't understand why so many people say "Don't do it".

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...1bd993846f.png

epoch707 10-26-2008 12:22 PM

Don't do it! you'll scratch your lip against the hard packed snow

Neutered Sputniks 10-26-2008 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sabre,Oct 26 2008, 01:40 PM
When was the last time you drove on a tire for more than a minute or two where the tire temp was <50F?

I drive T1-Rs in 20-30F air temps perfectly fine. I'm not trying to drift corners or set any speed records though but there has never been a moment where I've felt they were bricks. I don't know what they're officially rated for off the top of my head, but if you don't drive like a moron, you should have absolutely no trouble.

I'm also not lowered so it doesn't particularly fit with the OP's question but I've driven ES100s on 1/4" of new snow and was able to get the 5 miles to a tire center to swap to my winters. It was VERY careful and easy driving though.

With the winter tires I've driven through 5-6" of new powder just fine and plowed through it. I drive over the mountain passes with packed snow/ice and have never had a problem.

Look at how many owners in Canada drive it daily through crazy winters.

I don't understand why so many people say "Don't do it".

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...1bd993846f.png

Well, at 6am when it's been 20F all night, it takes more than just a few minutes for the tires to warm up. And yes, believe it or not, I can feel the difference in my tires between when they're too cold and when they're warm. But, hey, to each his own.