S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 AP1 Legend Grows... Preserve Them

Old 02-18-2015, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks...enjoyed the read.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Originally Posted by Lane03' timestamp='1424227088' post='23509873
Picture of an AP2 with engine specs of an AP1 make me question their true love for this amazing automobile.
Author talks about the 1st gen as the best, then quotes 2nd gen engine specs... Looks like it was written by a know-nothing.

LOL,
Look. the bottom line is that the Honda S2000's legend is based on the original engine. Plain and simple. It was what set the car apart from all others at the time. It was the engine that won all the awards and now 15 years later is being recognized again. Give props... stop the Hate..... Appreciate!!! :

Tokyo, June 4, 2003 --- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced that Honda once again is being recognised as amongst the best engine manufacturers in the world. For the fourth consecutive year, the 2.0 litre Honda S2000 and 1.0 litre Insight IMA hybrid engines won their respective size categories.

For the previous three years, the title of 'Best Fuel Economy' has gone to the Insight engine. Last year it narrowly beat the Civic IMA engine. This year, the Civic IMA engine is proud to carry the torch onwards as the best fuel efficient engine on the market, easily beating the Toyota Prius engine and the Insight engine. The following three engines shortlisted in this category were all diesel engines. Judges comments such as "The next step forward in bringing hybrid technology into the mainstream" and "Nobody has yet come up with a better option for the mid-term future of the automobile" prove that Honda's IMA system is the way of the future for fuel efficient passenger cars. Following its win last year, the Civic IMA once again wins the 1.0 to 1.4 litre category with nearly double the final score of votes in comparison with the second place PSA 1.4 litre diesel engine.

The Honda S2000 engine once again wins its size category, 1.8 to 2.0 litre, and like the Civic IMA engine, leaves its main competitors behind in the scoring. Judges praised the Honda S2000 engine with quotes like "Honda's S2000 is still my favourite for fantastic revs and specific output, which is one of the highest in the world" and "You've got to love any engine that willingly revs to 9,000 rpm!"

The International Engine of the Year Awards truly are the 'Oscars' of the engine world. Voted for by a panel of 50 leading motoring journalists from all over the world, the competing engines are awarded points based on their efficiency, refinement, environmental attributes, plus importantly, how they perform on the road.

This year's awards were presented at the Messe Stuttgart in Germany on 4th June on occasion of the Engine Expo 2003. Honda is the only motor manufacturer exhibiting at the Engine Expo and this year is proud to show its alternatives to propulsion systems. Exhibits include the fuel cell car, FCX, the new highly awaited 2.2 litre, 4- cylinder, 16-valve, all-aluminium common rail turbo diesel engine, the Civic IMA car and engine, this year's F1 engine and many more.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
The legend grows, like Pinocchio's nose. At least for this article.

HAHA....
All us Ap1 owners know is that our cars can do everything your Ap2 owner's cars can do but ONE THING YOU CAN NEVER DO!!!!!

REV TO 9000!!!!!

Schadenfreude
Old 02-18-2015, 07:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HAHA....
All us Ap1 owners know is that our cars can do everything your Ap2 owner's cars can do but ONE THING YOU CAN NEVER DO!!!!!

REV TO 9000!!!!!

Schadenfreude

Dang, and I was feeling so good today. Now, well I just feel so inadequate....
Old 02-19-2015, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lazyrider69
Because they will be the ones everyone will want in 15 years....
I must respectfully disagree. I see the order of value as follows:

1. CR, for the low production count.
2. '06+, for tunable ECU (best for a turbo/SC platform), traction control, the larger engine, larger wheels and slight cosmetic upgrades.
3. '03, for those people who want the high-revving AP1 engine but also want the fixed valve retainer clips.
4. Toss-up: '02 or '04-'05, just depending on what motor you want.

With last place going to the '01's with the plastic rear window and the smaller wheels.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by jimmy-buffett
Originally Posted by Lazyrider69' timestamp='1424223189' post='23509802
Because they will be the ones everyone will want in 15 years....

2. '06+, for tunable ECU (best for a turbo/SC platform), traction control, the larger engine, larger wheels and slight cosmetic upgrades.
3. '03, for those people who want the high-revving AP1 engine but also want the fixed valve retainer clips.

With last place going to the '01's with the plastic rear window and the smaller wheels.
I doubt it....
Just like the EXPLOSION in $$$$ of air cooled Porsches, the F20c will be the coveted engine in the future.....
Traction control, ECU, larger wheels and cosmetic upgrades are irrelevant... and AP1s can be upgraded and tuneable as well.

Add the fact that it keeps getting all the accolades even today should tell you something....
Old 02-19-2015, 02:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy-buffett' timestamp='1424382896' post='23512306
[quote name='Lazyrider69' timestamp='1424223189' post='23509802']Because they will be the ones everyone will want in 15 years....

I doubt it....
Just like the EXPLOSION in $$$$ of air cooled Porsches, the F20c will be the coveted engine in the future.....
Traction control, ECU, larger wheels and cosmetic upgrades are irrelevant... and AP1s can be upgraded and tuneable as well.

Add the fact that it keeps getting all the accolades even today should tell you something....
[/quote]
QFT
Old 02-19-2015, 02:42 PM

And like the IMS bearing on the 996 911's, the valve retainer clips will drive all the informed AP1 buyers to the '03. Which I called out in my post.

Look at the NSX market, which cars are the most valuable? '02+ for the cosmetic upgrades and wheels. Then '97+ for the updated engine. '91's are common and getting cheap, on the original wheels the cars just look dated.

This isn't me claiming that the pre '06 cars will be worth as much as a used Miata, far from it. But for value/desireability, what I've posted already proves true. CR's are hard to find and holding their value. The '06+'s are holding value as well, which may be partly due to the fact that they're still pretty new. Whereas you can find early AP1's all over the place for super low money. There's 22 on AutoTrader for under $10K. Craigslist would be a better sample of sub-$10K cars, but look at that list: a handful are wrecked, a handful have super high miles, the rest are just earlier cars with typical miles.

Obviously, a 10K mile car will be worth more than a 100K mile car, regardless of the year. With equal mileage, for car values CR > '06+ > '03 > the rest. For the collector market with equal miles on the car, you will never have an '03 that is worth more than a CR. Why? Rarity, plain and simple.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by jimmy-buffett
Originally Posted by Lazyrider69' timestamp='1424388009' post='23512408
And like the IMS bearing on the 996 911's, the valve retainer clips will drive all the informed AP1 buyers to the '03. Which I called out in my post.

Look at the NSX market, which cars are the most valuable? '02+ for the cosmetic upgrades and wheels. Then '97+ for the updated engine. '91's are common and getting cheap, on the original wheels the cars just look dated.

This isn't me claiming that the pre '06 cars will be worth as much as a used Miata, far from it. But for value/desireability, what I've posted already proves true. CR's are hard to find and holding their value. The '06+'s are holding value as well, which may be partly due to the fact that they're still pretty new. Whereas you can find early AP1's all over the place for super low money. There's 22 on AutoTrader for under $10K. Craigslist would be a better sample of sub-$10K cars, but look at that list: a handful are wrecked, a handful have super high miles, the rest are just earlier cars with typical miles.

Obviously, a 10K mile car will be worth more than a 100K mile car, regardless of the year. With equal mileage, for car values CR > '06+ > '03 > the rest. For the collector market with equal miles on the car, you will never have an '03 that is worth more than a CR. Why? Rarity, plain and simple.
CR models are definitely a niche market.... But they are also newer and are holding their value because of that..... I am talking 15-20 years from now..... The F20c engine will be more valuable than the F22c. And it is because of the Car and Driver and other legitimate car magazine accolades and all of the Engine of the year awards.

The AP1's rawness and ridiculous 9K engine is what made the S2000 special...... All of the magazine articles and editors always reflect back on the S2000 9k engine. I am yet to see any article reflecting back on the F22c engine with such admiration......

It was an engineering marvel....... Plain and simple.......
Old 02-19-2015, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by 2Kaputnik
HAHA....

REV TO 9000!!!!!

Schadenfreude

Dang, and I was feeling so good today. Now, well I just feel so inadequate....

Awww....

AP1s are like grandparents looking at their legacy.... They can be proud that future generations they spawned may have surpassed them in some ways, but everyone knows they wouldn't be what they are without the original...
I never quite understand the insecurities of Ap2 touters.... Accept the brilliance from which you were created.....

Quick Reply: S2000 AP1 Legend Grows... Preserve Them