S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 AP1 Legend Grows... Preserve Them

Old 02-19-2015, 04:31 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy-buffett
Look at the NSX market, which cars are the most valuable? '02+ for the cosmetic upgrades and wheels. Then '97+ for the updated engine. '91's are common and getting cheap, on the original wheels the cars just look dated.
But the guys who've owned multiple NSX's know that the early cars have a manual steering rack for great feel, and a fixed roof for better chassis stiffness. Throw on some new wheels and a few updates and you have a NSX that is arguably better than the 02+ cars.

Same with AP1... faster steering rack, 9k redline, no clutch delay valve, no electronic training wheels like stability control and traction control.

For me it has nothing to do with value. All S2000's are relatively cheap sports cars. It's about driving excitement. A properly set up AP1 is more exciting to drive.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ka
Originally Posted by jimmy-buffett' timestamp='1424389320' post='23512423
Look at the NSX market, which cars are the most valuable? '02+ for the cosmetic upgrades and wheels. Then '97+ for the updated engine. '91's are common and getting cheap, on the original wheels the cars just look dated.
But the guys who've owned multiple NSX's know that the early cars have a manual steering rack for great feel, and a fixed roof for better chassis stiffness. Throw on some new wheels and a few updates and you have a NSX that is arguably better than the 02+ cars.

Same with AP1... faster steering rack, 9k redline, no clutch delay valve, no electronic training wheels like stability control and traction control.

For me it has nothing to do with value. All S2000's are relatively cheap sports cars. It's about driving excitement. A properly set up AP1 is more exciting to drive.

That's what I don't think some people get.... Like the air cooled 911s exploding in price... It is the raw and purely analog cars that are becoming dinosaurs...
The new cars are "BETTER" in a technological way, but it is the purity that has been diluted....

Mark my words, the arch of technological advancement in cars will continue to point where they drive and park themselves etc etc...
but ONE DAY a major car company will REMAKE a analog car in the far future and it will be the Belle of the Ball....

Check out these.... for a smooth $400K you can own one of these masterpieces...
http://singervehicledesign.com/
Old 02-19-2015, 05:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never quite understand the insecurities of Ap2 touters.... Accept the brilliance from which you were created.....

Buck up your $20 and become a member so I don't feel so trolled.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2Kaputnik
I never quite understand the insecurities of Ap2 touters.... Accept the brilliance from which you were created.....

Buck up your $20 and become a member so I don't feel so trolled.
Said in jest.... No trolling.... the article I linked to is legit as is the Car and Driver article that chose the F20c engine as the Greatest NA engine of ALL TIMES.... Did you read that????

You shouldn't feel trolled... you should feel PROUD...
Old 02-19-2015, 06:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Ap1 cars that are cheap are piles of shit ! If one is to find a good clean Ap1 then they will be paying for it . I have seen one for 8.5k and that car was a steaming pile of shit !!! GARBAGE . Only some young punk ass kid would buy one in that kind of condition and shortly after would crash it . It's all relative .
Old 02-19-2015, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by joes sled 2000
The Ap1 cars that are cheap are piles of shit ! If one is to find a good clean Ap1 then they will be paying for it . I have seen one for 8.5k and that car was a steaming pile of shit !!! GARBAGE . Only some young punk ass kid would by one in that kind of condition and shortly after would crash it . It's all relative .
Isn't that a given if any car is abused??

The fact is that the F20c engine is CONSISTENTLY being acknowledged by the car industry as one of the best NA engines ever made..... Whether a particular Ap1 is trashed isn't the point.....

I have seen some rich guys DESTROY their Porsches on tracks... Rare and few and far between but these guys can truly afford to trash their cars.... But some of those trashed air cooled 911s are being restored and going for over $100k now....

Yes, it is all relative.....
Old 02-19-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My point is a good clean Ap1 isn't going to be cheap .
Old 02-19-2015, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by joes sled 2000
My point is a good clean Ap1 isn't going to be cheap .

True....

That's why I said in thread title "Preserve Them"......
Old 02-20-2015, 11:50 AM

But the guys who've owned multiple NSX's know that the early cars have a manual steering rack for great feel, and a fixed roof for better chassis stiffness.
Show me a line of 10 NSX owners and I'll show you 9 people who can't tell the difference between the stiffer chassis. You couldn't give me a non-targa NSX, I want to actually enjoy driving my cars, not talk about how it's 3% better in the turns at track days that I never go to.

Throw on some new wheels and a few updates and you have a NSX that is arguably better than the 02+ cars.
No, it just looks like every old S2000 with a wheel upgrade and a CarToys head unit, done by a kid who couldn't afford a newer car with the OEM 17's.

These are all great cars, we're talking about single-digit percentages here. Kudos to the AP1 engine, but with a Hondata tune my '06 is within 500 RPMs redline of yours. Huge difference? Doubtful. And my VTEC engages at 5100, the smooth mid-range power is like driving a different car.

The original engine was a marvel, true, but it's not like they put a Civic engine in it in '04 and gimped the car. For the same miles/price, more people are going to choose the '06+ because the extra 1K redline isn't worth giving up traction control, better low-end torque, flash-capable ECU etc.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by jimmy-buffett
Originally Posted by s2ka' timestamp='1424395880' post='23512533
But the guys who've owned multiple NSX's know that the early cars have a manual steering rack for great feel, and a fixed roof for better chassis stiffness.
Show me a line of 10 NSX owners and I'll show you 9 people who can't tell the difference between the stiffer chassis. You couldn't give me a non-targa NSX, I want to actually enjoy driving my cars, not talk about how it's 3% better in the turns at track days that I never go to.

Throw on some new wheels and a few updates and you have a NSX that is arguably better than the 02+ cars.
No, it just looks like every old S2000 with a wheel upgrade and a CarToys head unit, done by a kid who couldn't afford a newer car with the OEM 17's.

These are all great cars, we're talking about single-digit percentages here. Kudos to the AP1 engine, but with a Hondata tune my '06 is within 500 RPMs redline of yours. Huge difference? Doubtful. And my VTEC engages at 5100, the smooth mid-range power is like driving a different car.

The original engine was a marvel, true, but it's not like they put a Civic engine in it in '04 and gimped the car. For the same miles/price, more people are going to choose the '06+ because the extra 1K redline isn't worth giving up traction control, better low-end torque, flash-capable ECU etc.

Quick Reply: S2000 AP1 Legend Grows... Preserve Them