S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 & Civic Si Depreciation

Old 05-28-2016, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 & Civic Si Depreciation

Hey everyone,

Thanks to those that helped me out with my questions regarding the s2000 that I was looking to purchase. I have officially put my 2014 Civic Si Sedan for sale and I'm just curious on what everyone's thoughts are as to the depreciation of these two vehicles. I only owned my 9th gen SI for 2 years, but I have become wary of the depreciation of this car as I'm not sure how popular it was and with the arrival of the new gen SI and potential Civic Type R I felt that my car would lose a lot of value. I wasn't sure if my thinking was necessarily correct as I know some 8th gens have held their value very well.

That was part of my factor into purchasing an S2000 as I really love the car and I know it holds its value very well. Do you think that with the recent news of a potential 2018 s2000 that the value for the car will depreciate in the next 4-5 years? Thanks again everyone for your time and help!
Old 05-28-2016, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rodneyyar
Do you think that with the recent news of a potential 2018 s2000 that the value for the car will depreciate in the next 4-5 years? Thanks again everyone for your time and help!
Until i see concrete proof that Honda is going to bring it back, I wouldnt get too excited. I remember in the Prelude community there were rumors of that one coming back too and it never did.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Coming from a personal experience point of view, I have my S2000 because I've always wanted one. Of course, I have also considered and factored the depreciation cost of this vehicle but that did not deter me. So if I were to place myself in your shoes and I were to buy one today and the fact that, as you said earlier, in 2018, they might be releasing a newer version. But I highly doubt that the engineering for the 2018s will be just as good as the original S2000s. Anyhow, first thing I'do: I would do a tremendous or at least an ample amount of time of research or knowledge about the S2000 or any vehicle I'm considering and then, I'll do a whole bunch of road tests and see if this Two-Seater truly meets my needs because I can tell you now the S2000 will not provide the most comfortable and will not be the most convenient ride compared to a 4-Door - Kind'a Ehhh- Mini - Family sedan vehicle.

My experience: When I first got my S2000, I was ecstatic. But as time goes by, I'd say at least the first 3-6 weeks was a love-hate relationship , especially when I was taking my girl for a spin she was getting motion sickness. I was like what did I get myself into. Number 1: the car is just sitting in the garage. (we have additional vehicles that we can DD). Number 2: If you need to do a quick emergency grocery shopping at "Costco" cause the boss lady tells you she needs a dozen paper towel, a case of drinking water, and some fruits and veggies for dinner, well guess what, you're either gonna have to A: Go home and get a vehicle that can render this services or B: Tell your boss lady (girl) to get it herself. Don't get me wrong it is a fun car to drive but I also thought it was "useless at times." To make the long story short, me and my girl now both do enjoy the car and "WE" have no plans of letting it go or selling it. My girl did realize how much I enjoy "owning" the S2000. So the point here is, if you're single and just have a partner (no kids to take to a baseball/soccer games) this is very ideal for someone like you. Regardless though and I believe having an extra car, not a "Smart or a Miata and the likes," but more preferably a Civic or heck even a Scion IQ or a Fit can be helpful.

Lastly and one important thing I'd really like to point out buy a car because you value it and not for its value to be. I for one, don't daily my car and I consider it as my monthly or my church car. I think I'm at this point in my life and realized that I don't really "need" to take it to canyons or tracks just to enjoy my S2000 since I already know it is highly capable (could careless about the "torque") and I already had my share of taking my S2000 for some nice spin. So do I still need to take it to the "twisties" all the time just to get the thrill. Nah!
For me, I realized, the thing that truly brings joy to me is, is that I own an S2000. Good Luck!
Old 05-29-2016, 05:34 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

New cars depreciate like a dropped stone and a 2014 anything is now worth a lot less than you paid for it. Especially a car where a new, improved model (like the 2016 SI) comes out every other year and is "only a Civic." Worth, of course, being what someone will pay for it. Only a few enthusiasts are in the market for "last year's" SI.

A new S2000, if it ever happens, will be entirely different from our cars which at worst will acquire at least minor collector status. And still out perform what's been predicted. Brit 2-seaters like Triumphs, MGs, and Healeys remain valuable.

-- Chuck
Old 05-29-2016, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new S2000, should it ever come out, won't be coming out for quite a few years. It has taken a long time for the release of the new NSX, so I'd only expect the same for that with the S2000. If inflation adjustment is factored in, we're probably looking at a cost around the $50,000 range give or take a little, maybe starting in the 40's best case.

Compared to your average cars out there on the market, both the Civic SI and S2000 have very strong resale. Condition and wear is always a huge factor, the more you drive it and use it, the value of the car will go down over the ownership. So I wouldn't worry about that a tremendous amount unless the car is going to be driven very little and kept in similar condition throughout the years. Nearly any vehicle is going to depreciate when used, there are only rare exceptions.

My 2001 S2000 I picked up in 2012 with 32,000 miles for $14,000. Now at 62,000 miles or so, in its current state I'm looking at $12,000 on the high end when I list it. Possibly less. If I had of spent that much on a Civic SI say a 2007 or so with same mileage (though I'd really have driven it more), probably would have still got $10,000-$11,000 back. Not too bad when you compare it to the depreciation of a new car.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see another s2k ever specifically in the US since manual trans are a dying breed here and even if they did build it I cant see it being as engaging as the current s2k. As far as depreciation goes if you have a civic si and stock s2k as garage queens the civic will depreciate but the s2k will maintain its cost and even appreciate.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new NSX has done nothing to the old one. The cars don't compete. I think any new S2000 that Honda may try to make will be the same. So different from the original formula that it's not going to drop the resale.

Infact the S2000's resale is why I'm having a hard time getting rid of it. I would like to downsize, I have a 96 Civic (swapped), my S2000, and an Evo. I want to get rid of the S2000 and Civic, and get something like a CRZ, or 11 Si sedan or TSX, WRX, ect. Something I dont have to drive so sparingly. (Plus 2 cars on insurance > 3) But when I look at those other cars, S2000's are worth more on resale than any of those. I mean CRZ's arent even that old at maximum, and AP1's with 100K go for more than average 2013 CRZ's with about 50K. Same for the others, their depreciation is way more than the S2000 at this time. I just feel like any other car I get is just going to be some other car. And for a 12-15 Si, I dont think that will get a premium at any time, because no one liked the 2.4 with the low redline, single exhaust port, and intake-only VTEC. In a few years you'll be able to get one for the cost on an AP1, a lot of AP2's are more than that bodystyle Si.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anything from what I have seen the new NSX has made the price of the original sky rocket. You can find certain example NSX's for upwards of $70k now.. I don't see a new S2000 doing anything to hurt the price of AP1/2's, but raise it if anything. The one and only thing that worries me about a new one is tainting the S2000 name. I just hope it's not a 2 liter. Basically my opinion is, if you want one and you know it's the right car for you, get one. I wouldn't worry about depreciation for two reasons. 1. You will enjoy the car so much any depreciation will be worth it. And 2. The S2000 is probably one of the best sports cars you can buy in terms of depreciation, meaning you can pretty much break even at a minimum with one. That is if you ever want to sell it.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by silverstone_f22
If anything from what I have seen the new NSX has made the price of the original sky rocket. You can find certain example NSX's for upwards of $70k now.. I don't see a new S2000 doing anything to hurt the price of AP1/2's, but raise it if anything. The one and only thing that worries me about a new one is tainting the S2000 name. I just hope it's not a 2 liter. Basically my opinion is, if you want one and you know it's the right car for you, get one. I wouldn't worry about depreciation for two reasons. 1. You will enjoy the car so much any depreciation will be worth it. And 2. The S2000 is probably one of the best sports cars you can buy in terms of depreciation, meaning you can pretty much break even at a minimum with one. That is if you ever want to sell it.
I agree. The original NSX values have only skyrocketed since the 2012 NSX Concept was shown in Detroit. The publicity of the new car is reminding people what a great car the original was and still is.

While the S2000 simply isn't going to see the same level of appreciation due to supply, a new model will only bring more attention to the original. 2 years from now I have no doubt it will be more difficult/expensive to find a clean AP1/AP2 than it is today. The AP2 I bought in early 2013 saw ZERO depreciation when I sold it over 2 years later with 13k more miles and a more banged up exterior. I made back all the money I spent on mods (wheels, exhaust, intake) and basically owned the car for free, minus consumables. I didn't expect this to happen, but it did as a result of the market.

That being said, the extra clean and low mileage examples out there today are mostly priced too high because the owners know they have something fairly special. Those are the cars that will depreciate as you put tens of thousands of miles on them over the next couple of years. If it was my money, I would aim for a mechanically solid "driver" in the 40-80k mile range rather than a "collector" with sub-30k miles.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't try and play the car market, buy a car because you like to drive it, and expect a loss always. Cars are not appreciative assets, but sometimes you do get lucky.

Buy it for fun, and for the passion of driving it.

Quick Reply: S2000 & Civic Si Depreciation