S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 for Long Distance Trips?

Old 10-15-2001, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the fortunate situation to be able to use my S2000 as a weekend / nice day car only. I have a work car that I use for every day driving. That said - we primarily drive our S2000 on road trips on the highway. I've had many different types of cars, and I would rate the Killer Bee right at the top. The seats are great, the ride is surprisingly smooth on the freeway, and the handling is second to none.

The one thing I've noticed, however is that my ears will ring for a day or so after a long, fast ride. It must be from the wind buffeting against my ears. I'm 6'1" and I guess my head sticks up a bit too far (no blue comments).

I'm reluctant to drive with the windows up because I can't imagine it's good for their long-term stability and plus I think it looks dorky.

All in all, I think the S2000 is a great car for the road.

Pat
Old 10-15-2001, 12:52 PM

hey killer bee, you need the tall aeroscreen from ricks, will solve some of your problem with turbulence on the ears...
Old 10-15-2001, 12:54 PM

Check this thread

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=31611

Seems like a lot of people driving long distances in this car and no roblems at all.
Old 10-15-2001, 01:00 PM

Brett,
Hell NO

hahaha
Old 10-15-2001, 01:03 PM

Bought my car in RI last November. Drove it back to Houston and loved every mile. I am 6'2" and 240 lbs. Kept the rpms under 5k as recommended and got 25 - 27 mpg. Was too cool for the top to be down, but with it down you can be half a dork and put the passenger side window up and it eliminates almost as much turbulence as being a full dork. Top hasn't been up since then and the rpms haven't been below 5k.
Old 10-16-2001, 11:53 AM

s2kkid,

I've considered the large screen (mine's factory), but have noticed considerable 'wobbliness' on some cars that have the larger screens. It must be from the added wind load on the factory hinge. After a while they lose their firm seating in the up position.

The Boxter has 2 little rubber stabilizers that its wind screen 'locks / wedges' into when the screen is vertical to prevent movement. The low-profile stabilizers are anchored to the roll bar.

I've had my eye out for something that could be installed for this purpose, but as of yet haven't found anything. Maybe something would have to be molded specifically for this purpose. In any event, I'm waiting for some solution to the wobbling screen before I switch to the larger insert.

Any ideas?
Old 10-16-2001, 12:00 PM

i wish the s2k had the same setup that my z3 has. Its a black Mesh made of material and goes over the roll bar hoops and works great. Probably the only 2 things about my z3 i like more then the s2k. The wind screen and my stereo system. i got the harmon kardon system and it kills the s2k stereo. I saw a mercedes slk the other day with the same black mesh setup. I wonder if there is one for the s2k???

I should receive my tall aeroscreen tomrrow, was shipped yesturday. I had no clue it wobbles. I will look into doing something on my own to make it sturdier...
Old 10-16-2001, 03:32 PM

You guys can always replace your current windscreen with the Mingster one. It's a once pices windscreen made out of lexan. It fits in the same holes that are drilled for the factory windscreen. The only disadvantage is that it won't fold down, since it's one piece, but it sure doesn't vibrate at all.
Old 10-16-2001, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by MarkS2K
You guys can always replace your current windscreen with the Mingster one. It's a once pices windscreen made out of lexan. It fits in the same holes that are drilled for the factory windscreen. The only disadvantage is that it won't fold down, since it's one piece, but it sure doesn't vibrate at all.
Thats what I havem and it works great. As for not folding down? I can handle removing two wingnuts to remove the aeroscreen when I need to clean the back window. Its not a big deal. The aeroscreen wobbles NOT at all. very cool.
I must be a full dork on the highways with windows up, but I can go for hundreds of miles with no ring in my ears like I got when I first brought the car home from 300+ miles away. Besides, I fly by people so fast, they cant tell if the windows are up anyways !
Old 10-16-2001, 06:14 PM

I drove my S to Georgia from New York and back for the NOPI Nationals. This car is rock solid. The whole trip took five days and 2,200+ miles. It was a little rough tword the end, but the overall experience was good. The car ran like a champ. A trunk load of luggage @ 120MPH for 10 or so miles then drop the speed to 80MPH and cruised with the A/C for around 5 hours. Honda reliability at it's best.

Quick Reply: S2000 for Long Distance Trips?