S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   s2000, old school or still considered new school (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/s2000-old-school-still-considered-new-school-1007151/)

InVTEC 02-23-2013 04:22 AM

s2000, old school or still considered new school

Was just wondering what you guys think about this post. I have been thinking that S2000's should be considered old school honda style. It still has the old school VTEC etc.. I was thinking about this b/c i really dont have anymore old hondas. Im selling my 97 integra and i really like that car, the feel and the fact that it is still small. I just bought a TSX and man i feel like the car is crazy big to me. Dont get me wrong, i love the car but im going to miss that old honda feel. I think the old honda feel is still in the S2000, so im never going to get rid of that thing. It's such a cool car.

Well just thought id share my thoughts, Thanks for listening guys. What do you guys think

Syn 02-23-2013 06:31 AM

The car was designed in the mid-90s and as you said it has the old single-phase VTEC, so I would say that yes it is more like the 90s-era Honda than the Honda of the mid-2000s and up. As most people probably know, Honda was only planning on selling the S2000 for a few years. It just happened to hold on for nine production years but I'd say by 2006-2007 it was clearly no longer among peers in the Honda lineup.

Marloon 02-23-2013 06:39 AM

I think it's old school BUT it's a timeless design that'll last the test of time (unless people keep wrapping themselves around poles).

Lil Dre 02-23-2013 06:59 AM

Im glad its old school. If it was new school, it would probably be a hybrid. :banghead:

rob-2 02-23-2013 08:15 AM

Well the interesting thing about the S2000 is that it was part of the design process that resulted in the NSX. Mr. Shigeru Uehara and team originally wanted Honda's first super car to follow in the foot steps of the S series, however it become apparent a front engine car wouldn't meet their needs, and so the design morphed into the NSX.

When they wanted a sports car for their 50th, Honda tapped on Shigeru and team to make a car. It was clear then what they were to make, and S2000 was the car.

I don't think there is old or new school - this doesn't seem to be 'fitting' of a good car talk. I believe the NSX/S2000 mark a time in Japanese car culture, particularly for Honda, who used their F1 experience to build two amazing cars. The world economy was booming as well, emissions weren't much of a factor and gas prices were low.

A lot has changed since both cars were designed. Most folks aren't buying sports cars. Corvette has a serious problem with an image crisis. I'm looking forward to the new NSX, which is probably sports car 2.0.

steven975 02-23-2013 08:37 AM

The first S2000 is nearing 14 years old...mine is 11.

So, it's old school...but the car still looks modern.

I don't think nearly as many consider it old school than consider it a current desireable car. It's something special that not many other people have. Most of the population has no idea Honda even made a convertible.

ninjajwl 02-23-2013 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2 (Post 22358123)
Well the interesting thing about the S2000 is that it was part of the design process that resulted in the NSX. Mr. Shigeru Uehara and team originally wanted Honda's first super car to follow in the foot steps of the S series, however it become apparent a front engine car wouldn't meet their needs, and so the design morphed into the NSX.

When they wanted a sports car for their 50th, Honda tapped on Shigeru and team to make a car. It was clear then what they were to make, and S2000 was the car.

I don't think there is old or new school - this doesn't seem to be 'fitting' of a good car talk. I believe the NSX/S2000 mark a time in Japanese car culture, particularly for Honda, who used their F1 experience to build two amazing cars. The world economy was booming as well, emissions weren't much of a factor and gas prices were low.

A lot has changed since both cars were designed. Most folks aren't buying sports cars. Corvette has a serious problem with an image crisis. I'm looking forward to the new NSX, which is probably sports car 2.0.

I agree here. Times are changing and it's a shame we will not see cars with as much character as the S2000 anymore.

NYGPW08 02-23-2013 11:09 AM

Everyone is getting to earthy and artsy-fartsy. Let's bring back the real sports cars! None of this hybrid BS granola shit. What a scam!

Thateguhate 02-23-2013 11:11 AM

88-91 hatch, or a 92-95 hatch is old school.. S2k is still very much new school. Especially since Honda's latest designs were major flops... Take the 04/05 Si hatchback for example, and the 06/07 Coupe Si.... blah

s2000maniac 02-23-2013 12:08 PM

The technology that went into the s2000 was way ahead of its time and still is.