S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   S2k vs itself (looking at buying) (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/s2k-vs-itself-looking-buying-105905/)

Xenious 02-19-2003 08:15 AM

S2k vs itself (looking at buying)

I've read through all the various S2k vs X car threads and thought I would just ask some questions of the owners here based on the S2k itself.

FYI my current cars are a 97 del Sol Si and a 01 CRV LE (the del Sol would be the one being replaced)

I've always dug the S2k since it first came out. I consider it (don't be offended if you dislike del Sol's) the next iteration of the Sol (though obviously more racing designed).

I want a new car that will give me the same thrill as the del Sol (but with more power :) ). I will say that I have yet to test drive an s2k as I'm still learning to drive a manual transmission (yes yes it is sad I know ahha).

Things that bug me on the S2k:
1) no rear speakers
2) poor factory stereo (easy enough to fix this tho)
3) no auto climate control (I may be wrong on this one...does it let you set a temp and then automatically maintain it?)
4) low torque
5) I think the soft top is a bit too tall looking and needs cropping
6) no power seats

Things I like:
1) the look
2) Honda quality (I've owned 1 acura and 4 hondas)
3) Interior feel (it has a nice cockpit feeling like my del Sol)
4) high RPMs (true you can have power with other cars at low RPMS, but I like revving up the engine)
5) The added glass rear window and tweeters for '03

And questions:
1) does the soft-top open and retract well? I'm so used to the targa top on my sol and have never owned a soft top convertable.
2) Does the stereo mod well? (amps, rear speakers, subs etc) I know there is a shortage of space to put things in the car.
3) How's the wind noise with the top down? I will sorely miss being able to roll down my rear window from the sol and plan on having the top down plenty!
4) Rattle...I manage to keep the sol pretty quite with some silicon grease on the seals...how is the S2k as it ages? Does it rattle or squeak much with the top up?

I want to be able to drive and feel the road and acceleration. The sol has a nice stiff suspension and I can really feel things as I drive. I drove my friend's IS300 and it felt like driving a cadalliac. Sure it is a smoooth ride, but if I can't feel the road what fun is a sports car???

I won't list the other cars I'm looking at. If I had more budget I'd prob get an SLK 320 or the Lexus convertable. As it stands I'm looking to drop 36k or less on a fun sports centered car (not necc a convertable).

Sorry for making this a new topic, but the current vs thread seems to have deteriorated into a discussion of age and ability to drive a RWD car so I thought I'd freshen it up.

thanks for any opinions.
-jim

spapdx 02-19-2003 08:34 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Xenious
[B]And questions:
1) does the soft-top open and retract well?

RazorV3 02-19-2003 08:37 AM

if you want torque, this is not the right car for you. go with a z28.

i love torqueless, high reving, highh hp hondas/acuras

rai 02-19-2003 08:42 AM

Nice question.

I only have had mine for 4 months so I can't speak about "down the road" sqeaks etc. Also only driven top down 2-3 times. I have a hard top.

But as for road feel I don't think you can hold a candle to the S000 except with the Boxster MR-2 etc.. Not with a front wheel drive or slush box car. I wouldn't go for a MB or Lexus unless you want another automatic tranny. I know they are neat because of the hard top convertible. But I have a hard top so it's like a HT convertible but not as convenient.

If you want a manual transmission I think the S2000 has the best shift feel of any car. Nice short throws.:drive:

No disrespect to the del sol because I've never driven one. But it's just a civic with a targa top. It is not anywhere near the sports car the S2000 is.

I have driven a lot of cars and the S2000 is the most fun to drive IMO.

I drove the much more powerful and faster M3 and it felt too disconected from the road and too heavy.

I put in the Lucid rear speakers it's cheap and easy. But it still isn't great. I give the S2000 stereo 4/5 out of 10 (without/with rear speakers). It get's the job done no more no less. You have to spend some coin to get a decent stereo.

As for power seats and auto climate control. I don't think many people want them in the S2000. It's a back to basics sports car, there also is no traction control or stability control. Less is more.

If you want more fluff wait till the 350Z convertible is out it may be more your cup of tea.

But for me nothing is a fun as the 9000 screamer in the S2000:rev:

rai 02-19-2003 08:50 AM

Also this car is not your ordinary "put gas in it" no worries Honda.

It should last a long time but the tires don't. I've had other cars clutches last 100K miles, but there is a thread here with people replacing their clutch at 10-20K miles:eek2:

ejis 02-19-2003 08:58 AM

Torque concerns: The lack of torque is no problem unless you like driving a car at low rpms. And even there, it's got more performance than many cars. I can drive around all day under 6k and still have fun.

Stereo concerns: I have an '02 (which is identical to the '03, slightly different than the previous years) and the stereo is fine. I had installed a nice system into my previous car, and bought the S knowing the stereo wasn't the greatest. It is a convertible though, and a lightweight one at that, so there is a good amount of noise from various sources. This in itself is bad news if you want high quality audio. But the factory stereo is loud enough and decent enough that, for my puposes in this car, it's perfectly fine.

Climate control: No auto climate control - but with the top down that's not really relavent. The heater and AC do work well though - I drive with the top down when it's below 30 degF and am comfortable. Never use the AC though unless my girlfriends in the car and doesn't want the top down or I'm de-misting.

Wind noise: I can hold a conversation at any reasonable (and most unreasonable) speeds. Put the side windows up and it gets a lot quieter. It's still a performance convertible though, and a quiet cabin wasn't much of a design concern...

Rattles: As with any soft top, there is the potential for some rattles, and there are some documented squeeks in the top. They're all easy to fix if you happen to get them. For the most part though, in most weather, it's solid. It's also one of the stiffest chasis out there, no cowl shake or anything of that sort.

The car has a very connected feel (except for the steering wheel...) It transmits tons of road feel to you - weather you want it or not. There's minimal body movement. It feels like a big, fast kart. I think it will feel like your del Sol on crack...though I've never driven a del Sol so I can't say for sure. Everything will be faster, quicker, harsher, and harder. Also realize that driving the S isn't nearly as forgiving as the del Sol with rwd and a propensity for oversteer.

V8NV-mys2k 02-19-2003 09:20 AM

ejis I think it will feel like your del Sol on crack...though I've never driven a del Sol so I can't say for sure.
Does this mean you know what it is like to be blown on crack? Sorry, give me 30mins of free time at work on slow day, I get bored quickly.

And remember the S2k is a minimal frills car, so climate control, powered seats, and such other amenities are not 1st priority. The cornering, stopping, engine, and just overall balance of the car is 1st priority, and I have no complaints!!!:drive: :rev: :eek3:

Steve

SilverS2KAZ 02-19-2003 09:42 AM

Climate Control

I live in AZ, so the top is down most of the time. I feel there is no need for climate control. It would be a feature that would go to waste.

It shouldn't be much different in Houston, although you get considerably more rainy days.

Xenious 02-19-2003 12:07 PM

Thanks for all the information. Yea I know the sol is basically a civic with a targa top ahha, but I still enjoy the design.

Oh and for the comment on the z28 why would I want an american car?? ;) ehhehe j/k

The audio kinda bums me out but I bet amps could help. I'm an avid musician so when I'm in the car I'm listening to music. (Not radio, just cds or mp3s) Anyone put a sub somewhere in the sol? I'll check out the link to the people making the rear speakers.

thanks again all, in 2 months or so I should know what car I'm purchasing.
-jim

VTEC_Junkie 02-21-2003 03:05 AM

i didn't realize our s2k doesn't have rear speakers. why does our stereo have a fader feature then??