S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Sell my 05 for a 370Z?

Old 01-09-2009, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sell my 05 for a 370Z?

I know, I know... this is a S2K forum and we are all bias. I mean, my plan was to keep my 05 Rio for the rest of my life. I even bought a beater to drive to and from work to keep miles off it. I've done quite a bit (listed in sig) to make it feel like my own, but...

The new 370z is $30k, 100 more HP, has the amazing synchro-match tranny, and looks awesome. I could sell my S and daily driver (prelude) and actually pay cash for the Z. Still, the convertible, 8k redline, and personality of the S makes me want to keep it.

What would you do?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you driven the new Z? I haven't, and haven't heard anything about it, but there's (to me) a lot more to comparing cars than empirical numbers. The transmission sounds cool, but if it feels like shit, then is it cool? To me no, but to me transmission feel is a huge part of driving the car. That's why I went with the SMG, the feel of the 6MT in e46 M3's is God Awful, at least it was coming from an S2000. I don't necesarily LIKE the SMG, but I knew I couldn't handle the way the standard transmission felt.

As far as the other stuff, looks are subjective. Personally, I think the new Z looks great. Course, I also think the S looks great. Which looks better? Really couldn't answer that, they both look awesome. Speed? It's clear cut that the Z is faster, but is that necessarily better? From personal experience I left the S to a decidedly faster car, that is significantly LESS fun to drive. Ultimately I think I made the wrong decision. However, this is about you, so that doesn't mean that going to a Z is definitely the wrong decision.

If going fast is Priority 1, then yes, switch. It's the faster car (before anyone draws any conclusions, I'm talking stock to stock, I realize mods can be made, but that's not what this seems to be about) so that would fulfill the major reason. If you're looking to switch for switching sake, maybe it's the way to go.

Ultimately its on you. Take a test drive. Take two. Make sure you drive your S to the dealership and I'd suggest drive the S on the route you plan to take the Z. Make the comparison as objective as possible. And remember, either way you'd have a hell of a car.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:05 PM

i agree that you need to drive the 370, and that it is your decision to make, not ours.

95% of the people on here are going to say that the s is the car to keep. so if that is what you want to hear then great, otherwise don't read any other posts beyond this, cause they will talk you out of the 370.

that said, ask yourself what you want, and what you find more fun. cause on the street and to the extent that the two cars are going to be driven, niether is going to be much faster than the other. so weigh the options, pros and cons, and figure out what is best for you. cause we don't know what is best for you.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:17 PM

Of course, switching is a personal decision, but I will add the fact that the synchro-rev matching on downshifts is kinda like cheating, if you will. Cars these days are taking more and more of the finesse out of driving. Im sure the little computer in the 370Z does a great job of helping those downshifts, but I would never want to lose that art of nailing a perfect heel-toe downshift while heading into a sweet turn on the track. I feel that the S is one of the purest roadsters around....if you're a good driver, the car will reward your efforts....a little sloppy, and everyone is going to know it....
Old 01-09-2009, 10:33 PM

The 370Z will be a worthy replacement for your S, if you decide to go that route. It is NOTHING like the 350Z, everything is so much better.

The gearbox feels great, and the clutch pedal no longer feels like wet noodle. Not to mention that you can turn the synchromatch feature OFF.

Just test drive both back to back and make your decision. You'll know right away which one you want to go for.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by iatros' date='Jan 9 2009, 11:17 PM
Of course, switching is a personal decision, but I will add the fact that the synchro-rev matching on downshifts is kinda like cheating, if you will. Cars these days are taking more and more of the finesse out of driving. Im sure the little computer in the 370Z does a great job of helping those downshifts, but I would never want to lose that art of nailing a perfect heel-toe downshift while heading into a sweet turn on the track. I feel that the S is one of the purest roadsters around....if you're a good driver, the car will reward your efforts....a little sloppy, and everyone is going to know it....
I agree perfectly. I don't question the S (moreso before the traction control models than ever) are the purest sports cars out there. That's why I LOVE mine. You need to have some skill to drive it, enjoy it, and not end up in the ditch.

At the same time, I have huge feat (I'm 6'3) and heel-toe is hard. I feel like I'm an excellent driver besides that, and I love taking people out in the S and scaring the hell out of them while I push the car. I can't imagine the Z is a better pure enthusiast car, but I think it might be more fun during normal driving. I don't know... I'm really torn, and that's why I'm looking for advice.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

You could certainly do worse than to trade for a 370Z. If it is as improved over a 350Z as I've read, I think its a solid choice, but you give up the convertible. You may want to wait for the 2010 conv to come out.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:50 AM

Test drive it. Make sure you get a cool guy and drive the shit out of the car before you buy it. You want to get a feel for the car and if it would make you happy because if you make a wrong decision you could make a huge mistake.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT' date='Jan 10 2009, 12:07 AM
You could certainly do worse than to trade for a 370Z. If it is as improved over a 350Z as I've read, I think its a solid choice, but you give up the convertible. You may want to wait for the 2010 conv to come out.
I'm guessing the conv model will be something crazy like another 7-10 grand
Old 01-10-2009, 06:31 AM

Small problem about the convertible: fugly. They're just too chunky looking of a car to make a good vert. I believe there's a (real) 370Z vert pic floating around the internet. A bit better looking than the absolutely horrendous 350Z vert, but still nowhere near what you'd want a 2-seat convertible to look like.

And the rev-match transmission is only cool if you don't know how to drive.

Quick Reply: Sell my 05 for a 370Z?