S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Sending back Whiteline X Brace

Old 03-07-2007, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sending back Whiteline X Brace

As the title implies, the Whiteline brace is being sent back. After using every trick I know, 6 frustrating hours, and eventually cross threading all but one of the bolts, I give up . It is at least 3/16 of an inch off (longitudinally, and too narrow at the rear). With the threads now compromised, I will not attempt to put on a different one for fear of completely ruining them .
Anyone else ever have this problem?
Anyway, I bought it on ebay from an authorized Whiteline dealer. Should I have to pay the shipping back? What about being refunded for the original shipping to my door?
How hard would it be to rethread the holes?

Thanks

Old 03-07-2007, 11:38 PM

has your car ever been in an accident?

is your driveway level? if its not leveled, then you will have that problem.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:36 AM

Hmmm, that's strange...

Are you installing the bar with the whole front end of the car on jack stands? Or, are you just lifting up one corner? Any frame damage (from a previous accident)?

Another possibility to consider would be your brace getting slightly bent or warped during shipment. When you lay it flat on the ground, are the four corners completely flat and level with the ground?
Old 03-08-2007, 01:39 AM

It has never been in any accident to speak of. It was done in a level, cement-floor garage. I tried lining up the holes with the car on stands, and on its wheels. Turns out I was supposed to get new bolts with it? I had to buy some at the hardware store. For naught.

Not impressed with Australian craftmanship. They probably should have made the jig slightly bigger to allow for shrinkage after welding.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine went right on using a lift. I'm really impressed with the quality and the performance so far.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uhm, I had a little problem installing my comptech x brace on my car. It turned out just to be an alignment problem. the brace needs to be perfectly aligned and the bolts need to be threaded perfectly perpindicular to the brace or else the last one wont go in correctly. Also the brace itself is not multi directional. it needs to be pointing the right direction or the holes wont line up correctly.

To make things easier on yourself next time, have a friend help you hold the brace in place. then thread the bolts by hand to make sure they all go in. then tighten them incrementally until they are all secure.

I don't know what trouble you will have doing this because you said you crossthreaded some of the bolts and the fitment of the future bolts will be jeopardized. GL on this anyways. Hope things work out without too much trouble.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:31 AM

I've installed 4 of these on different S's.
Each car has been awkward some more so than others!

Eventually I found I need to jack it up on a level floor AND slightly enlarge the holes in the braces.

Crossed threads are not good as those are captive bolts on the subframe
Old 03-08-2007, 12:36 PM

Just spoke to Brad at Never Enough Auto. He says that because the bar was advertised as fitting only up to 04 S2000's, it is my mistake, and he will not accept the bar to be returned. It is now my responsibility to prove to him that it is supposed to fit all years.
Can anyone shed some light?
Old 03-08-2007, 12:51 PM

^heh, I bought mine from Brad too I had to call him after mine arrived (I got mine from EBAY too) because the bushings were nowhere to be found. He was a nice guy though, and said he'd ship them out that same day and I got them a few days later. I still haven't put mine on though.

Hopefully I won't have much trouble putting mine on
Old 03-08-2007, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by clintavo,Mar 8 2007, 02:36 PM
He says that because the bar was advertised as fitting only up to 04 S2000's,
I don't see where it says that on Muz's site, and I don't even see x-braces listed on the Never Enough site (only anti-sway bars)

Quick Reply: Sending back Whiteline X Brace