S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Should I apply tape for 900 mile drive?

Old 07-13-2011, 03:53 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

This product..................

http://www.buyroadwrap.com/
Old 07-13-2011, 03:56 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

^^^that should work, but just make sure you cut out enough for the radiator to breathe!

3M blue or yellow painters tape will work too...no residue will remain upon removal. Have fun on your trip and drive safe
Old 07-13-2011, 04:07 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSteel
A car that will be driven, no.
+1, unless you plan on keeping this in the garage 99% of the time and never driving on the highway, IMO it's not worth taping up the front end..
Old 07-13-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ I dont really agree with your resolve, I drive and track my car, HOWEVER I also enjoy having a chip/dead bug free bumper,hood, and fenders. No disrespect intended to you, but thats just how I see things. Additionally I also recommend the 3M Painters Tape
Old 07-13-2011, 06:51 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Did a 330 mile drive on my untaped hood/bumper through the desert and I came out chip free. As long as you dont follow cars and trucks too closely you should come out fine.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. I taped mine up with cheap tape and it left residue, I used Meg's Paint Cleaner to clean it off.
So what if you drive it a lot? If you want to avoid having a ton of bug's acid eating your clear coat and prevent rock chips, tape it up!However, it'll cost like $5-7. Make sure to wrap it into the fender wheel well a bit, mine came off higher up, but stuck like glue at the bottom which is the most important part since our cars are low to the ground. I did a 970 2-way road trip 2 weeks ago and got zero rock chips thanks to taping it up. Think about it, when you're on the highway especially in the middle of nowhere, about 1 out of 3 or 4 of the vehicles on the highway are trucks transporting goodies to the businesses and stores of America. You will find yourself passing them a lot, in the state of Texas a lot of the highway is left lane for passing only, or we drive that way anyways unless we're dicks clogging the left lane, on a 4 lane highway so I found myself close to a lot of 18 wheelers. The truck speed limit was 70 while the car speed limit was 80 so you will be passing all of them if your state is like that.
Ultimately it comes up to if its worth the $5-7. If you are really concerned about rock chips, you might think about a clear bra in the long run.
It's good to be passionate about your car, even if its not a garage queen!
Plus I like the feeling I am making people look at my car and be like wtf? Why is your sports car (That I've never seen, is that a miata? Something looks funny) covered in painters tape...
Old 07-13-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
Did a 330 mile drive on my untaped hood/bumper through the desert and I came out chip free. As long as you dont follow cars and trucks too closely you should come out fine.
I found people in Arizona to drive like fools clogging the left lane. The signs says slower traffic stay right, however I kept having cars going 10 mph under the posted speed limit, speed matching the right lane making me tail gate them. Arizona signs need to say left lane for passing only!
Another thing I was disgusted with in Tucson was watching all the cars try to run over pedestrians and bikers :\. At a cross walk it was lit up with the 3 red light stop, and the lane by me there was 2 cars, the front one slowed and the one behind it honked and they both sped through because the person was just entering the road. I was at a complete stop cause I don't care if he is in the road yet, he is about to be and the stop lights are red :\.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1,000 mile trip from texas to fla, my bumper is still mint.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:25 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Tape it up! Here's my fiancee's S when we drove from South Carolina to Cali for Homecoming II last year. If you have time, apply a good coat of wax before applying the 3M painters tape. It'll help getting any residue to come off extremely easily. Also, start taping from the back and work your way to the front. If you do it the other way, air will get between the layers and start peeling them back and debris will get under the tape. We also did the mirrors and the corners of the hood/fenders because they're raised up a bit. Some people also tape behind the wheel wells to catch the rock chips there also. I'm not going to say it kept us from getting rock chips all together, but it definitely minimized the number of chips and bugs.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:59 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Tape is a good idea. Use painters tape or the tougher racers tape

http://www.racerstape.com/

Quick Reply: Should I apply tape for 900 mile drive?