S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Side jacking question (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/side-jacking-question-1165871/)

rpg51 11-11-2016 06:36 AM

Side jacking question

Am I in danger of damaging my S2k if I lift it in on one side in the middle to get both wheels up on one side and then place jack stands at the official jack points? The side rails sure seem plenty strong and it would be easier/quicker to get one side on stands to do it this way. My worry is damaging the middle of the side rail with the jack because it is not an official beefed up jack point.

Memo6453 11-11-2016 07:18 AM

It's possible yes, but I'd use correct jacking points. I jack one side up and use 2nd jack to get to center of car jack points and get either front end or rear end up in the air and then slide in stands.

Mocky 11-11-2016 08:18 AM

It's possible, but I wouldn't do it. Take the time do one corner at a time. My $.02.

B serious 11-13-2016 08:46 AM

yes, you can cause damage.

My tips:
- Pick one REAR corner (lets say right rear).
-Jack up the right rear.
-Keep jacking til the RF lift point comes off the ground far enough to get a jackstand under.
-Jackstsnd the RF.
-Release jack.
-move jack to the front CENTER. Lift there.
-Jackstand the LF.
-Lift the back via a central point on the diff or subframe. Reach in from the front of the car if the bumper/exhaust is in the way.

rpg51 11-13-2016 10:06 AM

I guess if central side jacking is risky the thing to do is to jack from the front center jack point, place jack stands at both front side jack points, then jack from the rear central jack point and place jack stands at both rear side jack point. My stock height s2k is barely high enough for me to get my HF low profile long reach jack to those front and rear jack points so I guess that is what I will do.

When I am changing tires I think I'll just jack from the side at each corner one by one and skip the jack stands. I'll just be sure not to get under the car at all.

Conedodger 11-13-2016 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by rpg51 (Post 24103686)
When I am changing tires I think I'll just jack from the side at each corner one by one and skip the jack stands. I'll just be sure not to get under the car at all.

The S2000 chassis is stiff enough that you can jack from one corner and lift the entire side. I change tires this way frequently.

Car Analogy 11-14-2016 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by rpg51 (Post 24103686)
I guess if central side jacking is risky the thing to do is to jack from the front center jack point, place jack stands at both front side jack points, then jack from the rear central jack point and place jack stands at both rear side jack point. My stock height s2k is barely high enough for me to get my HF low profile long reach jack to those front and rear jack points so I guess that is what I will do.

Most people can't get their jack to the front jack point, until the car is raised some. Most use small ramps made outta wood, etc. The method B suggests allows you to go right to lifting, with only one jack, without having to drive up onto blocks first.

If you can reach the front jack point by just pushing your long, low jack under the car, than yeah, totally do it that way. Way better than jacking one side at a time.

Saki GT 11-14-2016 04:46 AM

UPDATED: How To Jack Up Your S2000 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...stands-208108/

Spartarus 11-14-2016 07:22 AM

Or, you could use the nose jack point, jack stand both of the front rails, then use the rear center jack point, and stand both of the rear side points.

I used to go side - side with jackstands until I watched the whole assembly nearly tip over. Now I lift front - rear.

jakescakes 11-14-2016 09:42 AM

I don't like jacking side to side to get it on 4 stands, seems like the car gets real tippy and something bad is about to happen. If you just need to get one side up on 2 stands then it's not a problem. I use the rear side jack point and place the rear stand on the rear frame rail and the front stand on the side jack point.