S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

a simple aftermarket parts question

Old 09-01-2003, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a simple aftermarket parts question

does a cai and exhaust void the warrenty of the s or any car?
im just curious, thanks in advance
oh and wat about a header?
thanks again in advance
Old 09-01-2003, 03:06 PM

general consensus, and I believe federal law, state that unless any problem can be directly attributed to the modified part, warranty claim cannot be denied. The trick, however, is to get the dealership to adhere to this. There have been lots on instances where this wasn't carried so easily and might require a hell of a fight to uphold.

So the answer is yes and no.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:37 PM

if you get a CAI and you hydrolock, they won't give you a new engine.

if you get a catback exhaust and your engine fails, then you'll get the new engine since the exhaust has nothing to do with the engine.

it all depends man...
Old 09-02-2003, 11:18 AM

allright thanks for the help munckee and razor, good info to know
Old 09-02-2003, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by RazorV3
if you get a CAI and you hydrolock, they won't give you a new engine.

if you get a catback exhaust and your engine fails, then you'll get the new engine since the exhaust has nothing to do with the engine.

it all depends man...
There is a third scenario also. Occasionally Honda will give courtesy or PR Warranties in cases where it is 100% the customers fault.

In those cases it is extremely remote you would ever get one of these special warranties with engine modifications.

Something to think about before adding after market performance parts.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of acticvity on this question on the Cobra forums since they are heavily modified.

General conscensus is it varies from dealer to dealer, and that while the Magnuson-Moss act does protrect the owner, the dealer is not intimidated ny the M-M, and waving it under their noses is a recipe for a real confrontation. The dealer can deny coverage on ANY repair, law or no law - and then it is up to you to seek legal redress. There is no hotline to Mr. Magnusson or Mr. Moss and then they will call the dealer and take care of things for you - uh uh. The mfr will almost always side with the dealer.

My strategy is to get in good stead with the mechanics and the shop foreman - leave some Marlboros in the car with a "Help Yourself" sign - give the shop manager a bottle of Maker's Mark at Christmas time, etc. They get to thinking of you as a good guy, they will forgive a lot.

A CB should not void anything, but I had a car where the crankshaft was defective, and they started making vague refs to the exhaust until I casually mentioned that a muffler is a replacement part, and I could go to Tuffy's if I wanted to. But that just shows how the dealers' minds work sometimes - they will look for most any reason to put it to ya - just (in)human nature i guess.

Take acountability for your own screwups (like a CAI hydrolock) but do not take accountability for those shirking their responsibilities.

With cars today, it is a fine line - I would scope out any proposed change with the dealer, and get them to install the parts if possible. That will show tacit acceptance and full disclosure on your part, which would help if arbitration ever became an option.

On my 2002 Comptech TL-S, I paid the dealer to install everything, although it pained me since I am a good wrench, and like to do things my way - but i bit the bullet.