S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

So Which Batch Of S2000 Would You, As A Current S2000 Owner

Old 09-14-2018, 12:29 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

For some, pricing alone will play a big factor in such decisions. But I'm not taking that into consideration in my response as that was not factor in the case of my S2000 purchase. I realize that logic has little to do with a sports car purchase for many people, but since you've asked here goes. I ended up focusing on 04 - 05 cars specifically for a number of reasons. Since taking ownership of a 2005 model nothing has changed my way of thinking. I will say this: I personally don't think that any particular generation of the S2000 is necessarily any better than the others. But I do think that certain model years of this car are likely better suited for different people depending on their usage and preferences. I tried to take a very honest look at how I would be using the car before deciding what model years held the most appeal to me.

It's probably worth noting that early on I wasn't looking strictly at S2000s. Instead I was considering a number of older sports cars — primarily roadsters, as I really wanted to be able to enjoy some top down motoring with my wife. (I also enjoy riding motorcycles but my wife has no interest in them at all.) The S2000 was by far the newest vehicle that I had taken an interest in. Part of that had to do with how relatively basic the car was compared to so many other newer vehicles (digital dash aside). While I can appreciate all of the new electronic-based technology automakers are bringing to cars these days, it's not really my thing. Had I not ended up buying a S2000 I surely would have ended up with a much older car, so that's probably worth noting in my case.

As far as my use of the car was concerned, I was only planning on driving the car out on the street, not on the track. I had no intention of daily driving the car. Instead I was buying a weekend car to be enjoyed during nice weather primarily on rural backroads away from the freeway. As it sits in stock form, the S2000 already exceeds my performance needs for street use. Growing up with motorcycles I'd likely have some appreciation for the higher redline of the F20C engine. But I've spent enough time on two-stroke bikes in particular that I've come to appreciate a more linear power supply. For the way I'm using the car the F22C engine is more than capable of providing me with plenty of driving excitement. I can appreciate having a bit more torque with a powerband that's a bit stronger down lower in the RPM range. I also don't tend to modify my vehicles, enough so that I'm the kind of guy that likely would have returned any car I found to original condition had it been modified previously. Aside from the engine change itself, the majority of the other changes they made to the car in 2004 stuck me as positives including the mechanical changes in particular. I'm aware that not all agree with me on this. I'm not a fan of DBW technology. Not just as it applies to the S2000 but in general. Even if I were okay with DBW, I did not want to end up with an engine that had been someone else's ECU tuning project. I could ask sellers if they had touched the ECU, but I couldn't be sure that I'd be getting a straight answer. I do understand how the traction control system made possible by way of the DBW system might appeal to others even if they have no interest in tuning the car.

I had thought through all of the above before finally determining what specific year models held the most appeal to me. Once I determined that the 04 - 05 cars were the best fit for me I only had to exhibit some patience to find a clean example of exactly what I was after. Maybe it's because of this approach that I've been incredibly happy with my purchase and I haven't felt the need to change anything about the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by GuthNW:
pachockey (09-19-2018), UpNorthMN (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 06:07 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

A best of all worlds S2000 is my preference:

Take a DBW S, add Flashpro, a hfc, and a Gernby tune (in addition to more power under the curve, this also raises redline closer to originals, and eliminates most of the need for more attention to valve adjustments on DBW)

Add my own FP throttle maps to add cable throttle like response

Suspension mods that mimic the originals more nuetral, less understeer nature, but without the inherent rear bump steer

A CR steering rack that mimics the originals more direct steering

Lightweight flywheel and cdv removed

I feel like this combination retains most of what is good about the original, while incorporating all the worthwhile (to me) improvements from the later versions.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:47 AM
Community Organizer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I own an 02 and have for 10+years.

Due to the fact that Honda made the AP2's more "civilized", I specifically sought an AP1. 02-03 gives you the glass soft top and some other modifications over the 99-01 models. I also wanted the 9k redline and prefer the AP1 cluster over AP2. The front bumper looks better on an AP2, but I prefer the back bumper of the AP1, especially if you run a single exhaust, like I do. AP1, Headlights, IMO, look better, but the AP2 LED taillights look much better. I almost installed a set, until I realized how much cutting up of the chassis was required to make them fit. Sold them instead and kept the stockers.

Mine has quite a few mods, but does not have anything major like forced induction or tune, only simple bolt ons. Has not given me any issues in the 187K miles that are on it.

Either models you choose will be a good car for you, as you can't go wrong with any S2000.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

For track, go for 00-03. Otherwise, go for 04-09. Best of both worlds, get both plus a CR.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:03 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

06+ for a street car staying stock or with only intake/exhast and a tune
04/05 ap2 if going turbo for big power
00-03 for a track car
Old 09-14-2018, 01:11 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
A best of all worlds S2000 is my preference:

Take a DBW S, add Flashpro, a hfc, and a Gernby tune (in addition to more power under the curve, this also raises redline closer to originals, and eliminates most of the need for more attention to valve adjustments on DBW)

Add my own FP throttle maps to add cable throttle like response

Suspension mods that mimic the originals more nuetral, less understeer nature, but without the inherent rear bump steer

A CR steering rack that mimics the originals more direct steering

Lightweight flywheel and cdv removed

I feel like this combination retains most of what is good about the original, while incorporating all the worthwhile (to me) improvements from the later versions.
+1. I drove an '06 with virtually all these changes and indeed, it felt just like my '03, but with more power.

darcy
Old 09-14-2018, 03:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by riceball777
06+ for a street car staying stock or with only intake/exhast and a tune
04/05 ap2 if going turbo for big power
00-03 for a track car
That's a nice breakdown!
Old 09-15-2018, 07:41 AM
Jub

Received 384 Likes on 308 Posts

Depends on the use... If I had to keep it completely stock and I weren't a competitive person, 2003. Felt subjectively better than my 06 in a lot of ways. Steering, shifting, more roll stiffness, no CDV, cable throttle.

In order to mod with bolt-on's sub 400 hp and/or fit into racing classes, I think an 06+ is the best. I'd realistically like suspension, exhaust, HFC, tune, basically all bolt ons. Still working on the modding part and missing some of the subjective stuff of my 03 from above.

My favorite to drive would be a 2004-2005 with an AP1 steering rack, AP1 flywheel, no cdv, KPro, suspension mods, wheels, supercharger, and brakes. The only benefit you'd be missing from the newer cars is the improved ABS. Otherwise, it has all of the objective best pieces and the subjective cable throttle.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:58 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I like them all. But, when I put money down, I ended up looking for 02/03. I'm very happy with my cars. No regrets at all. I drive mostly on back country paved roads in the hills of northern New England. Only real changes I've made are refinished BBS JDM 16" wheels, new head unit and mini amp, new shift knob, upgraded floor mats. I have some ap2 headlights, which I prefer, but I haven't gotten around to installing them, and I'm not 100% sure I ever will. I feel no need for more torque or horse power. No need for louder exhaust or induction noise. Its just fine as is. I'm focused on normal maintenance and driving.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:44 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I've only owned a 2004 and a 2008 but hands down I prefer my 2008 while cruising or on the track. I was really worried about the switch due to the DBW but it was not an issue at all once I test drove the 2008.

Quick Reply: So Which Batch Of S2000 Would You, As A Current S2000 Owner